Juan de Fuca Marine Trail

Juan de Fuca Marine Trail is a 38.0 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Capital, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

38 km
1,388 m
Point to Point

paddle sports

surfing

beach

cave

old growth

Stunning. Challenging and technical with lots of verticals. We left our car at China Beach and took the west coast shuttle to Port Renfrew. We camped at Little Kuitsche Creek, Chin Beach and Bear Beach. They were all lgreat places to camp... Lots of space, pretty level. The forest hiking was lovely and the beaches were stunning.
Definitely use gaitors...there's a lot of mud and boggy parts. We went in early July. The trail is very wild. There was a hornet's nest in a mud bog just south of Sombrio so be careful.

I'm sorry I know that this is suppose to be a review but I sadly had my hiking partner cancel on me last minute and was wondering if anyone is interested in hiking this July 13th/18? I have been wanting to hike it since my first island trip last year!!

amazing! already planning on making it an annual trip. 4 days from china beach to botanical. use the west coast shuttle bus which made it that much easier! reccomend to everyone I know to do this hike.

note that markers from 15km-20km were not visible for us. beggining of June! hopefully been fixed as they were doing a lot of maintenance

happy hiking!

beautiful backpacking trail along the ocean. spots are wet and muddy even at the height of summer. wooden walkways slippery when wet

WOW. what a beautiful change of scenery from the typical west coast mountains. Had to do this trail last minute as our original plan went sideways after a forest fire caught. No regrets though! Spent 5 days in total on the trail, 4 nights. ALOT of up and down up and down across all the creeks. Very minimal trail maintenance done on this path, therefore walked through several bogs, stepped over broken stairs/ladders and opted for scrambling rather than using old rope handholds. End of July and weather was perfect. Ensure you have waterproof boots as there is mud everywhere. Not as much beach walking as expected, more inland dirt trails.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Nice hiking trail - I followed the trail running recommendation which I do not agree with... hiking yes, running no

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I hiked this trail in four days from Botanical Beach to China Beach by myself. It far exceeded my expectations! This was my first multi-day backpacking adventure. The trail was challenging at parts but the views and old growth forests were well worth it. The campsites were very nice with toilet paper and hand soap in the outhouses. There was a lot of traffic on the trail at this time of year which was great for me because I made a lot of friends. I highly recommend this trail!

Friday, September 23, 2016

I'm glad I did the whole thing to learn about great overnights or day trips, but I wouldn't repeat the whole trail again. China Beach to Sombrio gets you a great trip.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Soms gorgeous parts and absolutely magnificent beaches for camping, away from day trippers. However, it's a lot of ups and downs with very few changes in scenery... so it gets dull after a couple of days. I'd suggest not doing the full trail (skip the part from sombrio to port Renfrew, it's rather long and boring) or just hiking out to Chin or Bear beach for camping.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Some gorgeous spots along the trail but not enough for the effort.

Friday, June 19, 2015

It's a typical west coast hike lots of up/downs not much beach hiking. Easy access from highway has tourists hiking in along trail.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

The overview is a little deceptive....there are many waterfalls, the trail is very difficult at parts and although "accessible" year round, portions are impassible in rough weather, and the trail is thick with mud almost all year. All that being said, its is an epic trail to see with some incredible places to set up camp - Sombrio Beach being one of my favorites. Here are some videos for a few parts of the trail:
The Botanical Beach area- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK2CGhMJgMQ
And Sombrio Beach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgfL55q2PvA

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Such a beautiful trail! Every breath you take is either temperate rainforest or the pacific ocean. I started at the China Beach trail head and took four days to get to Botanical Beach. The section of trail between Bear Beach and Chin Beach is very challenging as it is steep switch backs, constantly changing from climbing to descending. The difficulty is worth the effort as you are rewarded with beautiful campsites on the beach and in the forest. Make sure you are prepared for lots of moisture as the rain and fog are as common a trail partner as the 8" banana slugs.

Sunday, June 25, 2017