Learn more

Joffre Lakes is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Currie, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, camping, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,610 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that the parking lot for this trail is closed due to COVID 19. This hike offers views of picturesque lakes. There are three: lower, middle, and upper. All the lakes have different colors and breathtaking glacier views. Most of the trail is moderately hard with the exception of a steep incline around the second lake. Note: Campsites in the winter may be closed due to snow. Please check with the park page for more information.

fee

We hiked up to the third lake this weekend, there was no snow. We parked 2 kilometres down the highway as there was no signage there. On our way back to the car leaving the parking lot/entrance to the trail, we were stopped by a conservation officer giving out tickets to everyone entering and leaving the park. They were also towing everyone’s cars on the side of the highway. DO NOT GO, IT IS NOT WORTH IT YOU WILL GET TOWED AND ALSO TICKETED. WAIT FOR IT TO OPEN!

closed

Absolutely stunning hike. still closed due to covid, but many cars just park on the side of the road. highly recommend going all the way down to the camp site.

icy

went on this trail to the last lake in February 2018 and it was immaculate. beautiful and forgiving trail for people that are out of shape. dog friendly ( on leash) lots to see and take in!

closed

This is an excellent hike - very well-maintained. It's currently closed due to COVID, but we parked a little down the road along the "Check Brake" area. We were lucky, but I'm sure theres a chance of getting towed. We had the hike completely to ourselves.

hey just wanted to know if u guys were able to access the trail/lake despite it being tecnhincally closed. and if u did where did u park?? thanks

Did all three lakes June 19, 2019. Took us 4 hours with our toddler. It was raining on our way back but we had raincoats. Trail wasn't muddy even with the rain. A good trail for the family. Not much bugs during our hike. Best views are on the upper lake. Will do this hike again and arrive earlier to spend more time at the last lake.

closed

I went on the 31st of May. parking lot is closed. we parked on the side of the road and jumped over the small barrier (pretty doable). we went all the way to the last lake but there's snow leading to the last lake campsite but the rest is all very doable. some ice and snow but nothing that will be challenging

Hello, those who went recently when the park is closed, where did you guys parked at?

icy

Wednesday May 28, 2020 at 7:00am - Trail is technically closed, but I drove 3hrs to get there so I wasn't turning back. First part is pretty icy/hard snow but then the middle part is fine. Just before the second lake the snow and ice return. Second lake is half frozen, Third lake is fully frozen. Still very beautiful but definitely can't wait to visit when the snow melts. Lots of Whiskeyjacks, in fact two followed me for quite awhile hoping I would feed them I guess. Going up I had the trail to myself! On the way down there were a handful of people! Met a nice young lady on the way down, chatted for a bit...kinda felt like things were getting back to pre COVID-19! Anyway, highly recommend this hike...but go early! PS - Collected several pieces of trash on the way down, please pack out what you pack in folks!!!

Is technically closed right now so be aware of that. A touch icy and snowy patches at the beginning and at the very top. Such a picturesque drive from Pemberton and the lakes on this hike were beautiful.

icy

Great trail! loved everything about this hike. I’m from California and the color of the water just blowed my mind away. It’s soooo beautiful, I didn’t want to leave that place. We started hiking at 7 and had the trail all for ourselves! The middle lake is my absolutely favorite! If you are in that area this hike is a must!

3rd timer always stunning lake .. hike going to the second lake is challeging but very doable. its like an annual hike for us im Joffrey lake

Is this open?

Great hike but can be extremely busy. Be mindful choosing the time to go. When I was last there, it was packed with people on the trail it was kind of annoying. Make sure you go all the way up, climb those rocks and jump in! The beginning of the hike was harder IMO than the last part.

icy

Microspikes ideal over snowshoes right now with the hiking trail packed down, though, snowshoes very ideal at the upper lake if you want to explore beyond the entrance and surrounding area. You need one or the other if you don't want to keep falling on your face and ass! Took 1.5hr to get to the top with microspikes with breaks. Midway is pretty steep, but anyone of reasonable fitness can tackle it. Spectacular.

Great trail, took about 4h to snowshoe, some sections were packed down but overall snowshoes were definitely needed. Not busy. Stunning views especially at the third lake. The main parking lot on the right (coming from Pemberton) was covered in snow but there’s a small lot with packed snow on the left just before it. Definitely more challenging than in the summer but worth it for the rewarding views!

Lots of snow up here today! Parking lot is not plowed so very limited parking, get there early. Snowshoes are a must as the trail is very steep in the middle. So beautiful! One of my favourite hikes, took us 4 hours at a moderate-slow pace

Nice but steep trail. 2nd lake was my personal favourite. Start early, on our way down we saw lots of people going up

Amazing hike, well worth the effort. Some steep parts and switch backs but the 3 lakes at different levels give you a nice break. Stunning scenery. Loved this hike. Knees hated the hike on the way down but so worth it.

recorded Recording - Dec 29, 03:58 PM

perfect day for snowshoeing, though microspikes would have been better. snow is not very deep yet (maybe a foot). snowshoes okay in most places where the trail in punched in, though the steps are tricky, especially going down. not quite enough snow yet to glide over the steps. microspikes much better between the second and third lakes where the roots are sometimes exposed. we walked on all 3 lakes no problem.