Joffre Lakes

Joffre Lakes is a 7.7 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Squamish-Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

7.7 km
491 m

We hiked the trail this morning to all 3 lakes. The trail to the middle lake is the steepest but there are lots of places to step off and take a break. if you make it to the middle lake definitely push on and go to the 3rd. Make sure you take a camera as the views are stunning.

Please don’t miss this hike. Get there early, be ready for a strenuous first half of the hike. Incredible beauty will be your payoff! Take the time to hike through the campground and up to the second waterfall. It’s heaven!! Pack water and lots of bug spray. Enjoy!

One of the most beautiful places I’ve been!

Crowded but unbelievably beautiful. Pack bug spray!

Amazing. Since drugs are not aloud. Haha

This is one of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes I’ve ever done. The views are amazing! Make sure you hike all 3 lakes. It’s steep in some areas, but it’s worth it!

It’s so beautiful and worth the hike once you get up to the third lake. I wish I can do more to go up to the glacier so I can see the three lakes from the top.

One star since dogs are not allowed!!!!

Very steep terrain but the reward is spectacular! Totally worth it!

Great hike! We went past the 3rd lake up into the glacier. It was definitely worth going the extra mile, you can see all 3 lakes in a line from up there

One of the most incredible hike I’ve been in BC . Amazing view and great to enjoy the day there.

It's a must do to check off the list...but if crowds frustrate you, plan to do this non prime times, super early or in winter...weed out all the tourists.

Beautifully colored lakes, great views, not too many bugs... it’s a great hike. Make sure to visit the camp grounds for more views of the third lake. It’s well worth it and makes the hike a bit longer.

Wonderful hike! Excluding the lake relaxing time, this took us 2 hrs up and back with some running. Between the lower and middle lake its definitely not easy. Its a continuous steep hike up. But totally worth it. We jumped in the upper lake. It was ICY but incredible.

Best hike in my life, and I am European! Me and my wife had the kid (1 yr) in the backpack carrier / hike pack and enjoyed the awesome lakes, the amazing forest landscape and the view up to the glacier as we ventured to the upper lake. Middle lake by afternoon sunshine is my fav, I’m tellin’ you. We did this hike mid June, pretty late in the afternoon so shirt and shorts are enough.

Lots of tourists walking about, pretty interesting as we met Brazilians and Chinese visitors.

It took us 50 mins to the Middle Lake from the parking lot. Another 20 mins to the Upper Lake.

Enjoy it. Even w/ kids!

It took us 2 hours to complete the round trip from the parking lot to the 3rd lake (we sometimes run). Although the route from the first lake to the second may be steep, the view of the second lake is totally worth it.

The lakes are as beautiful as I expected. TURKWAZZZ blue colour. No snow on trail. Definitely go on a sunny day, as the lakes will be at their bluest with the sun shining on them. Took a couple minutes from parking lot to Lower Lake, followed by 40 min to Middle Lake, and 25 min to Upper Lake. Time estimates to each lake are definitely on the conservative side, so if you're a decent/fast hiker, it'll be much faster than what's posted. Get here early because it's a very popular hike, even on weekdays. Started at 7:45am and spent 6 hours here. On our hike back, there were lots of people at the lakes/hiking up.

I've done this hike at least 4 times. If not tight on time, this is the go-to hike I took my friends to who were out of province/country and/or shape.

The views are incredible for the relatively short hike. It gets pretty muddy near the third lake, so I recommend some good waterproof hiking boots or even some short gaiters.

And please remember to pack all your belongings including garbage. This is an amazing, beautiful place and it's heartbreaking to see it littered by careless jerks.

The trail was a little muddy in places from melted snow. I would not recommend wearing tennis shoes. No snow on the trail. Once you get to the third lake there is snow to the side of the trail and ice in the lake. Overall it was incredibly beautiful and a lovely way to enjoy an afternoon! I would do this hike again!

Did this spectacular trail April 20th - still lots of snow on the trail, so be prepared. We used microspikes and got along just fine, but passed others with crampons and snowshoes. Some form of traction is recommended, as there are several steep sections. We made it to the third lake in 1 hour 40 minutes, and back down to the parking lot in 1 hour with several brief stops for pictures and water. The lakes were covered in ice and snow but still just as spectacular as they are in summer! One of our favorite trails!

Went to Joffre Lakes yesterday. Its a short hike but it has good elevation to test you out. Conditions are a bit slippery but IMHO hiking boots are not necessary but of you have them it won’t hurt either

I went yesterday and the snow is officially off the trail! I was in hiking boots and my boyfriend was in sneakers and we were fine. The upper lake is also no longer frozen. Go early in the morning to avoid the crowds. Happy hiking!

Beautiful view, went about two weeks ago and there was still snow.

Beautifull and easy hike! The snow has melted till the top lake! The signs says 7 hours return, we two guys of 30 did it in 3,5 hours return including photo breakes.

Beautiful hike with beautiful scenery competed May 26, 2018. Was slightly disappointed as the water was not quite the turquoise colour I had previously seen in pictures and the upper lake was still partially frozen. Apparently you have to go after mid June if you want to see that. Would like to go on this hike again sometime in July when the snow is melted.

This place has been on my “to hike” list for awhile. It was simply beautiful and breathtaking however as everyone says below - be prepared during this time (Spring - May/June) as there is oodles of ice and snow on the trail and I fell hard on my way back directly into my knee on top of ice. It immediately swelled the size of a grapefruit and instantly went blue, and we still had about another hour to hike after this happened and I ended up fainting briefly on the trail just from the pain. I managed to get back to the parking lot slowly with this leg injury but in so much pain but listen to everyone and bring Yak Trax! You need extreme grips, I wasn’t wearing crappy shoes I was wearing hiking shoes from Columbia and still slipped! Always be prepared! In the end, it was worth all the beauty!!

Hike is great! Views are amazing. Absolutely recommend boots with good tread if you're going this time of year. Saw so many people in running shoes or sneakers who probably ended up spending extra hours trying to get down the steep and slippery bits.. You're doing yourself a favour by coming prepared. The way down is incredibly fun though if you treat your booty like a toboggan and go full send down the hills !

Beautiful and challenging hike completed May 2, 2018. Still lots of snow and ice. Please wear appropriate shoes such as hiking boots + crampons or yaktraxs. Going up was not too bad, coming down was incredibly slippery in some areas and expect to fall on your bum several times! We went up to the waterfall and came back down. Took us a total of 5 hours. Absolutely breathtaking scenery, lakes were still frozen though. Mountains were gorgeous! Will def. be back in the summer when the snow/ice has melted and the water is blue :)

I’ve been dying to do this hike for years and it definitely did not disappoint! Hiked this over the weekend - there was lots of snow (you couldn’t even see the lakes), and our micro spikes were the reigning champions of the day. We hired partway up the slope past the upper lake toward Matier Glacier, which lended some amazing views and back-patting. Saw that others had skinned up; there were a couple of people camping as well - wish we’d have brought our tent!

Very scenic hike with woods, lakes, mountains and a glacier at the end. Fairly crowded but did not detract from the beauty of this hike.