Hudson Bay Brigade Trail is a 93.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Othello, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

93.2 km
5,179 m

historic site

Spent a night hiking along the HBC trail from Peers Creek trailhead to Jacobson lake. I was lucky enough to find a time when there was very little smoke over the trail. I had the trail completely to myself the entire time.

Both the Peers creak and the Jacobson lake trailhead are easily 2wd accessible, though you will have to careful driving up Tulameen FSR to Jacobson lake as there is active logging going on in the area.

Starting at Peers creek trialhead you'll follow an old bushy road from the trailhead up to Manson's historical camp 6km in. Once you've reached the camp you'll leave the old road and begin a steep ascent up to Manson's ridge. There are no water sources on the trail bigger than a muddy trickling stream until you hit Colville camp, so make sure you pack enough water. I only packed 2 litres and I ended up having to strain muddy water out of a bandana halfway up Manson's ridge, not fun. Once you've passed through Manson's ridge at 1300m it's mostly downhill until you reach Sowaqua creek trailhead 11 kilometers later.

I had initially planned at camping at Sowaqua Creek, however when I reached the camp there I decided to continue on another 4km to Deer camp as the camp at Sowaqua wasn't too impressive and the water source there was pretty crumby. From Sowaqua to Deer camp you'll climb roughly 800m, which is pretty exhausting if you've already been hiking the entire day and have a heavy overnight pack on your back. I was glad to see Deer camp which was much nicer than Sowaqua being located up in a nice alpine meadow with a small creek running through it.

The next day was a much easier day, the hike from Deer camp to Conglomorate flats camp is beautiful and only has an elevation gain of 200 metres before it's all downhill. I detoured 2k to Grant's pond and was disappointed to see it was quite marshy and muddy, not good for swimming. It wasn't until I arrived back home and looked at the pond on Google earth that I realized there was a smaller (and presumably nicer) pond hidden behind the opposite side of the pond. If you're looking for a nice pond to sit by and maybe even swim in on this hike I wouldn't recommend the detour to Grant's pond, Palmer's pond is very nice itself and it's just right off the trail you'll take from Deer camp to Conglomerate flats.

After Grant's pond I hiked down to Jacobson lake and hitched a ride out. All in all this hike clocked in at 32k and was very pleasant. However if I were to do it again I'd start from the Sowaqua creek trailhead and maybe continue on the trail for longer after Jacobson lake as the hike from Peers Creek to Sowaqua doesn't really have to much to see besides forest.

I just completed the entire trail from the east trailhead at Tulemèen to the west end at Hope Bc. It's entire length is 74 km. This map only has the first half. I don't know anyone who does it as an out and back. You require a drop at one end and a pickup at the other. This trail has some great climbs, great scenery and countless mosquitos. Photo ops with wildlife of all kinds from black, brown grizzly bears to deer, moose and a variety of birds

was going to hike the whole trail but once you get 3/4 way up the switch backs to manson ridge you hit snow and the trail gets harder to follow, once up top you will be walking over 6 feet of snow. i was going to turn back but was to late and i just crossed paths with a grizzly, woke up to heavy snow so i waited for first light and got out of there. be prepared to encounter bears and if you are hiking to the lookout be prepared to deal with changing conditions of weather and trail.

5-6 hours to mason ridge with a bag packed for 3-4 days