Heiko's Trail to Three Sister's Summit

Heiko's Trail to Three Sister's Summit is a 20.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Kootenay, British Columbia, Canada that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

20 km
1454 m

cave

This was such a great adventure. My brother and I started later in the day and decided to skip the summit due to time restrictions. We camped overnight by bisaro canyon and finished the second part all the way to Island lake lodge. At the start of our journey we were charged by a bull moose about 10 minutes of walking after the trailhead sign. The climb is steep but I would rate this as moderate, the thing that made it hard was packing a heavy bag. Trekking poles are helpful to relieve fatigue but the trail itself is easy to navigate and not technically challenging. If you take your time climbing then you can stop and enjoy the breathtaking scenery. There's a waterfall, cave and the larch trees in fairy meadow are exploding with colour (October 1st). We saw a grizzly mom and 2 cubs on a scree slope about 250 feet from the trai between west fernie pass and cedar valley. There was a lot of scat and bear tracks on the trail, so just be prepared. There is an abundance of huckleberry bushes(aka bear food and most delicious berry on planet earth!) on the last 3/4 of the trail, but obviously they were all gone. We are doing this hike again in July so we will add in the 3 sisters summit making it just the right amount of challenging! Definitely a great adventure!

Monday, August 29, 2016

One of the hardest trails that I did. Going uphill since the beginning, around 8-9 hours hike. Beautiful landscape, and worth the persistence to get to the top. Bring winter clothes as the summit can be windy and rainy dropping drastically the temperature.

Monday, July 28, 2014

One of the most memorable hikes I've ever taken, a must when you are in Fernie. Waterfalls, caves, decent elevation gain, panoramic views of the Canadian Rockies...what else could you ask for? We completed in 4.5 hours, so the trail info is spot on.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

A cave and waterfalls with stunning views, this hike will not disappoint. The duration is 8-10 hrs to the summit and back. The trailhead begins at 4550ft to summit at 7500ft this is a strenuous hike, but the beauty distracts you. I would highly recommend this hike even if it's just to visit the cave.