Harper Mountain Loop Trail

Harper Mountain Loop Trail is a 9.5 kilometer loop trail located near Thompson-Nicola, British Columbia, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking and mountain biking and is best used from December until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

9.5 km
480 m

I did this loop this morning as a trail run, starting at Paul Lake Creek bridge crossing for some extra mileage. Finding the trailhead was no problem using the map/route shown. Finding my way up was also no problem because the route up is primarily some kind of dirt access road until you get to kilometer 4 or so. Then it's just a matter of making your way up the ski runs, any of them, until you get to the top of the chair lift. Stellar view from the top and at a couple of points on the way up. So strange to see the ski hill bare of snow and the ski chairs idle and gently blowing in the wind as I have spent many winters up there snowboarding with my kids.

For the descent I decided to stick to the same route as the path up. This is mostly because I think the path mapped to go down is mainly geared towards mountain bikers. Parts of it are very very steep with minimal visibility because of the trees and sharp turns, I didn't think that MTB's would be expecting a trail runner going down and that I could easily get myself or someone else injured by not being able to leap out of the way in time.

I would give it a 4 star for great workout going up and some stellar views, 3 star for the trail itself because so much of it is just a rutted narrow dirt road, well grooved by tires and spring run off.

Having said that, I will be using it again and again over the next couple of months as a good training route because it is so handy to Paul Lake area.

I was up there on a Friday and it was very lightly travelled. Though there were groups of MEC people at various points marking the route with tape for a MTB race this weekend.

skiing
Sunday, April 01, 2012

Been here a couple of times over the years - I lived in Kamloops, BC (about 15 mins away driving) and the company I worked for put on an annual function there each February. As far as ski resorts go it is pretty much right down the middle quality wise (I have been to Grouse Mountain and Cypress in BC's Lower Mainland and they are a little more upscale). Still not too expensive and a nice place to go especially if you like tubing - which they have a great run for.

Saturday, July 01, 2017