Golden Ears Trail is a 21.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

21.7 km
1,708 m

November 9th, 2018.
There was light snow starting at 7km into this hike, I made it to 9km and turned back as visibility had gotten to the point where I no longer felt safe to continue.
To the 9km mark and back to the Parking lot took me 7.5 hours

The snow will slow you down, and winter park hours may make this hike not possible unless staying the night.

Hike on

Just hiked it again today on a clear day and finally got the views. Just amazing up at the peak! Love this hike! Car to peak in 4 hours and 40 mins, peak to car in 4 hours. Will definitely do again next year

long hike be prepared to be challenged and see amazing views i did no5 summit due to not enough water and hiking the day before to panaroama

Challenging, but awesome hike! I hiked it once last year and then again on July 13th of this year in one very long day. I don't recommend rushing this hike. It's so beautiful at the top. Take your time and soak it all in. I am planning on hiking it again by myself this coming Thursday (Sept. 13th) if anyone would like to join me.

Killer hike but the view is a priceless payoff!

Hiked on Tuesday did it in 12 hours took our time enjoyed the views. My recommendation is to take 5 L of water, you don’t want to get cramps. Been looking at Golden Eras out my kitchen window for 20 years and finally did it! Well worth the bee sting. Very challenging hike with ropes and ladders. Makes you conquer your fears that’s for sure.

Third time doing the west canyon trail, camped on panorama ridge on one of the nice wood tent-pads. Make sure to bring lots of water because from just before alder flats to the ridge there is none, in my experience there is usually running water at the emergency shelter. All in all this hike is doable as a day trip or overnight and has a great work / reward ratio and I highly recommend.

Did this hike last Saturday 30th June, was actually quite dangerous and very difficult to see/manuever at the top with the snow, we had poles and boots which were a must. Couldn't find the hut or anywhere to camp so we had to turn back probably just before reaching it. I'd recommend waiting until the snow melts and doing this hike in late July through September.

Nike, challenging day hike. Very foggy up top so will be doing this again on a clear day. Took our group just a bit under 5 hours to get from parking lot to summit with a few water and picture breaks. Puppy made it to emergency shelter with ease but I backpacked her up to the peak and down. Crossing snowfield was not necessary as we could easily go around what was left of it. Pretty easy up to Alder Flats and getting steeper after that. I drank almost 5 liters of water and it wasn’t that hot so bring lots of water.

done this trail 1/2 dozen times. pays to be in shape. it's a slog of not. the elevation gain is pretty steady after Alder Flats. make it an overnight at the top because you simply cant beat the views. I've done it I as fast as 8 hours return and as a two night trip. would recommend this to anyone wanting a challenge. love this park!

One day hike, very hard but the view is worth of the pain

Quite the grind but breath taking views for the last 2km to the top. Snow minimal and only after the hut. Can be avoided for the most part. Poles or crampons can assist but manageable without.

Amazing view from the top! I didn't summit as I didn't have the gear for climbing up all that snow, but it was an amazing view of Pitt Lake and the surrounding mountains (even Mt Baker in Washington) from the emergency shelter and campsite.

This hike kicked my ass. I would absolutely not recommend it if you're afraid of heights as there is quite a bit of scrambling to the top. Also, bringing a dog is a really terrible idea in my opinion, though I did see a couple people with them. It's a miracle the dog made it down in one piece.

Powered up to the summit today (July 2nd). Reached the summit in trail runners. Probably could have used crampons or micros after Alder Flats as it got a bit icy but still made it. Trail is in good shape just be prepared to get wet in the snow and for any weather, was sunny at the bottom but at the top was raining and couldn't see anything but fog. Great workout otherwise. Bring water, but fill up on that icy fresh run off, don't worry, it's safe and delicious.

Hiked this trail on the May 5th and camped on the ridge. There was still a lot of snow on the trail that stoped us from climbing the summit. Definitely will go back to finish it.
I don't know how people are talking about going up in runners! you definitely need a good pair of boots. There is no water source after alder flats but you can melt snow. after alder flats there is 45 min of hike on a dry creek which I was not a fan of, you need a good ankle support for it.

Camp on the ridge if the weather or snow is still heavy, then summit without packs. Proper gear, poles, microspikes. If you want to soak in the experience, stay overnight. So many do this trail unprepared. Best hiking experience in lower mainland. Option to take the east canyon to the gold creek crossing, save your energy for when it really begins after Alder Flats. I break this trail into 3 parts. Parking Lot to Flats, Flats to the Shelter, Shelter to Summit. Enjoy, stay safe!

This could be a 5 star hike if not for the trail. It's not been maintained and now forms a creek so you are walking over a lot of boulders making the ankles kinda sore. recommend over-nighting. its a long ways to go in one day and you'll miss the sites.

Completed this hike on June 15th and 16th, 2018. I camped on Panorama Ridge for the night very close to the emergency shelter. The camp ground was still completely covered in snow. There was however some exposed rock near the shelter, which was a convenient place to sit and cook.

The hike up was quite challenging. It was very mellow until Alder Flats then started to climb quite substantially. The trail was snow free until about 80% of the total distance, just before getting to the top of the ridge. The trail is well marked and it is easy to follow the footsteps in the snow. The snow was fairly deep still up on the ridge and the last 2km was quite challenging. There was a section just before the emergency hut that is quite exposed and it is a bit sketchy, it did feel quite risky to cross it with my 35lb pack.

The way down was hard through the snowy sections as it was easy to slip and sink in the deep snow. I did lose the trail once just before the ridge and ended up almost lost down a steep valley. I did however find the trail again by retracing my steps to the last trail marker.

There is no water source up at the top other than melting snow or finding a drip.

The total trips took me around 4.5hrs up and 4 hrs down with minimal breaks.

This is a great trail and definitely could be done as a day hike. Staying up at the top was a amazing experience though. The view in the morning after waking up from the most peaceful sleep, and the sunset were the highlights for me!

Amazing 360 view was able to reach the summit with hiking poles and boots, shorten poles as ice axes and climbed up. If you thought the ridge was nice trust me try your best to go further. A decent amount of snow once you’ve gotten past the part where it starts getting really steep but nothing you shouldn’t be surprised of if you’ve been hiking recently on any high peaks. I saw people doing it in runners but i guess its totally up to the person, i would recommend using poles and crampons to make it easier but doable without. The only negative of this hike is the amount of flies, once you start getting some decent elevation you start getting SWARMED bug spray helped but you would have to reapply constantly,almost unbearable but fight through it and it’ll all be worth it. Have fun and a safe trip
-June 17th

Completed this hike yesterday May 26, 2018. Somewhere between the top and the west canyon parking lot I lost my jacket. It is a grey jacket stuffed into a small grey stuff sack. If you found it please leave a comment here. I will pay a cash reward for its return.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Probably one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It has 360° views and it's really worth an overnight trip so you'll have longer to take that beauty in! This one is a must!!!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Did it in one day. 5 hours up, 4 hours down. It was a grind but so worth it. The summit is very reachable with hiking boots and poles, however there is a couple scrambles, nothing too exposed. Highly recommend!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Amazing view. Make sure you are in shape, difficult last 2km and then the decent felt long.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great hike! Just tried the West trail past Alder flats (as far as I could go) made it just past the rock slide lookout. Trail was not passable at the first large hairpin. Way too much snow.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

super difficult but the view is absolutley amazing. the summit is very sketchy.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Great.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

September 26, 2015. Started at 9:20AM. Had planned to overnight and summit the following day. Made it to Panorama Ridge by 2:45PM. Got caught in a hailstorm while setting up camp. Couldn't warm up after that and ended up heading down at 5:00PM. Got back to the truck at 8:00PM!

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Love it had good time

Saturday, August 29, 2015

I love hiking all the Ears trails

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The hike was great. Took a dog with me. Spent the night at the hut. The sun set and sunrise was awesome. Will do it again soon.