Goat Mountain Trail

Goat Mountain Trail is a 13.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Vancouver District, British Columbia, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

13 km
1,301 m

skiing

Did the grind then this trail. Had difficulty finding the ridge trail after the summit but the summit was beautiful. Great view! On the trail, bugs we're only bad if you stopped. None at the summit.

Did the grind first and then proceeded to do goat mountain. I found the directions on here a bit misleading. Finding the trail head was the hardest part for me but there were no bugs, hardly any snow and it was a beautiful day! I was cautioned not to do this alone but I did it during the day and there were about 12-15 people I passed along the way. I felt very safe and comfortable. Also it says it’s 8.1 miles on this site but is much less...5km I think. I did the grind and goat mountain with a long stop at the top and it took me 3 hours. Great views. I recommend this!

July 12

I consider myself an intermediate biker and this was quite challenging for me. I’m on the smaller side at 5’ so one regular step for you might be two for me. Anyways this hike took me about four hours with plenty of breaks in between and 20 min at the top. Panoramic views are amazing and visibility was great today.

There were quite a bit of bugs so you’ll be happy to bring some repellent with you. Saw rangers putting up trail signs today. Still a lot of patches of snow. Some slushy some hard packed. Slid down some slopes instead of actual walking. You can hear the snow melting. Hiking boots will be nice if you don’t want your feet wet.

The last section that requires chains and ropes. The ropes look a bit sketchy and on the thin side. I was a little weary about one that was tied off to a branch that had some sway when pulled on but I wish they had something sturdier. Steep climb. Very dangerous to lose your footing there.

Very worth it for the views. Gorgeous. Quiet.
Next time I’ll be bringing poles. :)

I wasn't prepared for this since I caught snow at the top but I had my ice trackers to throw on my runners( something I like to keep in my back pocket for any mountains) ...and I brought my little out door cooking set and heated up soup and pulled out some home made bread ..... it was extremely windy up there( still mastering outside cooking though ) I would do it again in a heart breat though.

was great hiking today!!! easy course and nice view

Friday, August 18, 2017

Perfect conditions!
Flies are still around but tolerable

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Attempted it today, July 11 - still lots of snow on the trail - which is breaking apart, collapsing, icy in places, you find yourself pegging through to mid-thigh at times. Lots and lots of bugs. We were not having fun - turned around after 3km or so

Monday, July 10, 2017

Hiked it early July yet there was still a lot of snow once we got above grouse. Had to pay very close attention to keep on trail and there were several sketchy parts due to the snow. Despite all that it was a nice hike worth the effort.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

This is a moderate not an easy summer hike in my estimation. Please note it can be very dangerous and should be avoided when the trail is closed when there is snow on the mountain. There has been 2 deaths related to slips and falls by snowshoers in the past decade.
Doug, North Shore Rescue

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Great

Friday, June 19, 2015

I did not find this trail to difficult...It is in summer shape; dry and lots of green. The trail can be a bit hard to see at some parts once you get over the top of Dam Mountain...Be careful. I noticed a number of offshoots that led no where. Try to avoid following these as all you will do is contribute to the off trail damage.
I hiked to Goat Mountain via Dam Mountain. Dam Mountain itself is awesome enough. I could have easily stopped here and been satisfied.
I did continue over the top of Dam Mountain and on to Goat Mountain. The trail narrowed at times with lot's of over growth. Steep drops along the way as well as nice clear open stops to take a few minutes to enjoy the quite.
On the return I took the easier but more open Alpine Trail. I suggest this on the way down.

This trail is amazing not only for its great views but it's proximity to civilization. You will always be in ear shot of the Grouse Mountain Lumberjack show and the zip lines. However, as close to civilization it appears you are on the very of edge of the deep wilderness.

Enjoy. Be safe. Be prepared. Be out there.

Check out triptarp.com

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Challenging if you do the Grouse Grind first followed by Dam and then Goat Mtn. Great way to back 3 peaks in one day. Bring water and use easier Alpine trail back to Grouse chalet.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

This is a beautiful hike with varied terrain. I wouldn't say it is for all skill levels, however, as getting to the summit involves scrambling and climbing using existing ropes and chains. Aside from the summit, there are sections of trail with steepish, narrow pathways which could be problematic with slippery conditions. The trail is listed as Moderate with a Difficult section as you near the summit.

This trail begins on an old service road found behind the grizzly bear habitat at the top of Grouse Mountain. It's not well marked at this entrance but head left on this service road and you will soon come to a trailhead where you can sign in (and out!). If you don't want to start at the bottom with the Grouse Grind, you'll need to purchase a gondola ticket.

Contrary to the 3 hour trip length described here, it took us about 5 hours to get up to the summit, have lunch and take pictures and then make the return trip but we do like to take our time. You'll want to stop for many beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and valleys along the way as well.

The 360 degree view from the top is spectacular and worth the climb!

recorded Fun