Garibaldi Lake Trail

Garibaldi Lake Trail is a 18.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Squamish-Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November.

18 km
1000 m

We did this trail on March 10. We parked just after the road crossing. Some cars went upper, but some of them were stuck in the deep snow. We saw a tow truck helping a guy when we went back. The total hike was 23 km out and back. We did it in 8 hours including 1 hour break at the top. Nice open view at the top. Crampons or snowshoes are needed. We had crampons and it went great, and faster than a lot of snowshoeing groups we passed.

really nice trail. moderate hard

We did this hike in early November, one of my favorite hikes I've ever done! The trail is very well maintained and well marked. The first half is a pretty steep incline so fairly intense, but the last part near the lake flattens out a bit. We weren't prepared for how cold the top was, so make sure to bring layers if you're hiking in fall/spring/winter. We left at 1pm and got back around 5:30pm, but didn't stop for a break.

Incredible place!

Absolutely stunning and breathtakingly beautiful. the water is so blue!!

Amazing Trail and super beautiful lake I never seen before .

I did this trail at the end of September. First hike in BC. The weather started off around 10deg in the morning around 9am and got to around 18deg around 2pm. I did the Girabaldi Trail to the lake, hung out with campers and took photos (90% of folks on the trail seemed to be backpackers) and then headed back via the trail that goes up to Black Tusk lookout (did a short must-do jaunt to get a view of the lake from up Black Tusk Meadows) before heading back through Taylor Meadows. The trail through Lesser Garibaldi Lake is a little tight and windy with tree roots (~1.5 mi) but the lake is beautiful (needless to say!) I think I preferred the return trail of Black Tusk and Taylor Meadows (beautiful foot bridges, wide open spaces, awe-inspiring views). 15.6mi 4300ft 5.5 hrs total time (30 min break at the lake for lunch, plenty of photo talking time). The descent may start to hurt your knees or hips so bring Advil/hiking poles ;) Enjoy!

I think this might have been the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I did this hike yesterday and it took about 5 hours round trip. The first 7km are a nice steady uphill climb but it is all worth it. The trail is well maintained and the trail head is easy to find. Go early if you plan on doing it just for the day so you have time to go around the lake.

Gradually ascending trail, good to go with friends
Nice view at the top and definitely recommend to camp a night to reach higher up!

Montée interminable dans les bois mais régulière sur un très bon sentier. La vue du lac récompense les efforts.
Il faudrait camper au bord du lac pour continuer le lendemain sur panorama ridge, ce que nous n'avons pas pu faire...

Beautiful view, well worth the effort

Just hiked this today (8/21/2017). Probably the most beautiful hike I've done. The first 4km are challenging as it is completely inclined. after the fork to taylor meadows and garibaldi, it gets easier. if you choose to camp, just know that you have to hike 7km from the parking lot to the camp site. the lake is beautiful and the view points are unbeatable.

One of my favourite lakes in the area! Definitely very busy during weekends and summer. The trail is not technical and gradual sloping for the first 6km, until you reach the barrier lookout (highly recommend this 100m detour). For the next 3km it's relatively flat and passes two lakes before reaching garibaldi lake. Cross the bridge and walk along the side of the water until you reach the camping cooking shelters and picnic tables along the trail beside the water. Gorgeous views and a perfect places for a cold swim and snacks.

Incredible and worth the hike up!

challenging hike up to the beautifully coloured lake. it was a but cloudy and overcast when I went but still spectacular. hiked a bit further up toward black tusk and was beautiful seeing the alpine meadows, the descent down the switchbacks seems never ending. .. but overall a great day hike.

Great trail...way too many humans to enjoy it. Drudgery on the way there but the lake would have made it worth it if it weren't for the masses of humans.

What a hike! The path is clean all the way. There are not too many delicate spots. Elevation is pretty serious but constant. Couple rewards with great viewpoints on the way, not only at the very end with this awesome blue water and the famous lake! This trail is a bit intense, it could have been rated between moderate and hard. This hike took me 2h45 on the way up and 1h55 on the way back after a 25min break at the lake. Elevation is lower than mentioned in the description, it is around 820m. Sticks can be useful for the way back. Have fun, this is beautiful!

Made a professional video of the hike here:

Please watch it and subscribe for more awesome videos of hikes and places in BC

Thanks!

Awesome trail! Really well marked.. get there early otherwise lots of people on the trail. I was there at 7am only a few people hiking up, only campers on the top.. incredible lake!!
Took me 2hrs 29min round trip.. 18km total

Wow! I stayed at Garibaldi Lake Campground last night (July 6, 2017) and it was simply magnificent. Backpacking up Garibaldi Lake trail with a loaded pack was a challenge but due to a late start I tried my best to hustle (while still enjoying the scenery) and made it to camp in 3 hours. I was literally taken aback by the beauty of the lakes... oh and the fact the campground is still completely covered in snow. Luckily I managed to find a relatively snow free spot and set up my three season tent. It was a cold cold night but I was equipped with a pretty decent sleeping bag and a life saving insulated sleep pad. I loved having dinner and breakfast by the lake. I will hopefully make another trip in the future, spending more time in the area, and doing a day hike to Panorama Ridge and/or Black Tusk. Highly recommend!

Done this on July 4th, met a good amount of people on way up and down but no traffic. Gorgeous views of the lake, few snow patches on the last 2 kms and quite a lot of snow on top, but everything walkable with most types of shows. We expected low temperatures because of the snow but it was quite hot on top too.
Didn't camp up, but most people were setting tents on top of the snow, hard to find spots without snow near lake itself.
Took us 2hrs45mins on the way up taking few pauses and just over 2 hrs on the way down.

Great views, a bit of snow by the lake on July 1st anything higher than the lake has lots of snow!

An incredible hike, one well worth doing and spending a night or two at the lake. The trail itself is clear of snow pretty much up until the first lake (Barrier Lake) from there until Garibaldi Lake the trail is covered with snow but it's melting fast (so a fair bit of mud too).

Both Barrier Lake and Lesser Garibaldi Lake are ice free, however Garibaldi Lake is still cover in ice but it's melting fast and ice free in some parts (near the small foot bridge before the campsite).

The campsite itself is still very much under snow (a few feet in some areas) though it's melting fast. Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge were completed by a couple of people we met but it didn't sound like the conditions were that good.

[ May 29, 2017 ] The trail was snow-free from the Rubble Creek parking lot up to about 80% through the switchbacks. This portion of the trail was littered with post-winter obstacles including fallen trees, scattered foliage, stream runoffs and an actual waterfall crossing. None of the obstacles are impassable, though the waterfall crossing is a tad tricky if you want to keep your feet dry (tip: trekking poles come in handy here to help balance across the scattered rocks!). The trail is snow-covered from the lava dam viewpoint through to Garibaldi Lake. The barrier viewpoint is a quick detour and should not be missed - it's an impressive geological feature (read up about it on Wikipedia!). While snow-covered, the trail is generally navigable thanks to the packed-down path created by fellow hikers of yore. The trail around Barrier Lake is easily missed - the true trail lies just inside the tree line, though a well-trodden path is also present that eventually leads into the lake (careful!). Lesser Garibaldi Lake was not visible from the trail. The rolling topology combined with the snow will keep you vigilant of your footing, least you slip and slide in goofy fashion. Snow cleats or snow shoes will come in handy, though it's doable with good hiking shoes too. Trekking poles are of limited use as they tend to travel deep into the snow pack (thus losing the leverage). Then the moment arrives when you crest the final hill and the lake comes into view... words simply can't describe it. Many people stop at the bridge crossing, but I recommend making the additional short jaunt to the end of the inlet where you'll be rewarded with an expansive view of the lake, the surrounding peaks and the almighty Sphinx glacier. The snow around the lake is soft from the direct sun and you'll suddenly appreciate all that shade the forest provided en route to the lake. The lake itself is completely snow-covered at this time.

Strava stats: 3,503 feet elevation gain / 11.6 miles RT / 4:45 moving

Did the whole trail in late May. First 3 km were dry and nice, but then, the trail slowly got covered in icey snow. Last 3 km we had 2 meters of compact snow and we were ill prepared. Be sure to take ice grips if you plan to hike this in May or June. BTW, lake garibaldi itself was covered in snow completely :(

Sunday, February 26, 2017

I'm not sure how they came up with a moderate rating for this trail, but it kicked my butt!
I did elevation training for 6 months before we went on our pacific NW trip, and thought I was in decent shape, but apparently not!
The first & last 5 miles were grueling switchbacks through dense trees. But upon arriving at Lake Garibaldi, I promptly forgot the pain!
I very much enjoyed making friends with the locals- chipmunks & whiskey jacks & they enjoyed lightening our load of trail mix & granola (shhhh don't tell on me! ;)
The scenery was beautiful beyond words- it needs to be experienced.
Even though it took 4 days to recover & tackle Mt Rainer, it was worth every painful step, and I would go back in a heartbeat!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Great trail. Be sure to stop at the lookout. The birds ate granola from our hands! Wish we had left earlier to allow more time at the lake!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Great place

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Awesome hike. Being a first timer here (from Seattle, WA), I go a little too excited and hit every trail to some extent :) Got to beyond the Helm/Panorama junction via Taylor Meadows trail (turned around after hitting snow, and visibility was horrible). Tried the Black Tusk...same here...but clouds/rain made me turn around. Then headed for Garibaldi via the direct back trail (no name). After lunch, headed back down to rubble creek parking using the actual Garibaldi Lake trail. This will make is a good 16 mi (26km) RT hike - about 8 hours with lunch break. Good hike. No bugs...but had two bear encounters (harmless). Trail was in great condition regardless of moisture/rain at times. Oh, the hike start is truly all uphill full of switchbacks. lol.

Monday, September 05, 2016

My favorite of all the trails I've hiked! This review is very late as we went late last August. A bit tough at times but very doable and rewarding. Beautiful scenery and views of glacial lakes and rivers. Lots of places to stop and snack/enjoy the view. I swam in Garibaldi Lake at the top as well.