Evans Peak Trail

Evans Peak Trail is a 7.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.9 km
929 m

this one was a challenge for me. going up was fun but coming down was really hard. The middle section was the hardest for me but it was worth it. I did it in August in the hottest day. was a great accomplishment for me.

Definitely a tough trail. A steep climb most of the way with a bit of scrambling at the top. It took us a little over 2 hours each way. Beautiful views on a clear day.

Tough trail, not well marked and poorly maintained. Did this trail twice, once in winter and again on September 4, 2018. View was ok. Would not do it again. Most of the trail was a scramble, or it appeared as such. Treacherous in some sections so be careful. You will at one point on the trail need to pull yourself up with ropes. Passes close to the edge so caution is advised alone this trail. Took 8 hours to complete with 45 minutes for lunch at the top. I had to use some ropes of my own for the decent as it was quite STEEP. Would not recommend for kids and pets. Only view is at the top which is lovely but not worth the effort. This is not just a hike and definitely not “a walk in the park”.

a steep grind. First time I've done this hike and had a view

Total beginners
Took us 4:30h to climb and 2:30h to descent
2 passages with ropes at 94% grade.
This is just 25% grade non stop minimum, and half of it was more than 50% grade.
View was stunning!! Absolutely Worth it.

Great steep rooty climb. I measured 5.6km to the top from the west canyon trailhead parking lot. It took us 2 hours to reach the summit. Awesome views from up there.

Yes I recorded about 8.2 (round trip) miles from the parking lot .

Beautiful at the top with 360 degree views. Correctly categorized as hard. This hike is definitely longer than the description says, for what it’s worth, my Garmin watch says 14k from the parking lot.

Steep trail. Great workout and amazing views at the top. Tons of bugs especially horse flies half way through the hike. The hike itself wasn’t too exciting. Trail was easy to follow. Same views of the forest until you get to the very top.

I love this trail, very good work out and the most amazing and rewarding view when you get to the top. Huge thank you to whoever marked this trail! I like to hike it 2-3 times a week I enjoy it so much!

18km round trip to/from parking lot to peak
23.7% grade for 80% of the hike
Close to 1000 m of elevation.
6.5 hours (4 up 2.5 down)

The trail itself is a little boring. Not as pretty as IE Spirit Caves. It is mostly debris on the forest floor, ferns and huckleberry. Near the top it got much nicer with alpine blueberries, wild azalea, heather, orchids, rock moss and some sedums. Some bugs along the trail, loud horse flies and lots of butterflies at the top.

The view from the top was stunning though and well worth the climbing. Lots of room to spread out. Shared the peak with only 4 other people.

Coming down was just as hard as going up. Very rooty, lots of lose ground cover, and coming down the ropes backward at the cliff made me uneasy.

Great hike, despite the rain, fog and no view at the top; definitely worth it!

Took my 6,8 and 10 year old up, they did great! Tough, steep fun hike.

Did this on Saturday. I'm not sure I could recommend the trail when it is wet, there was quiet a bit of mud. Near the end there is some climbing that needs to be done which I don't think is mentioned so be aware. It's quiet peaceful at the top however, I would recommend it during clear weather.

hiked it Wednesday, it is cardio galore, calf and knee killer!!! (for me

Really nice hike with okay views. this will turn out to be the worst hike you have ever been on if you do not bring lots of bug spray and a face net. I’m serious , this hike will be torture if u do not have these things!!

Great hike to test your stamina and cardio. The moment you leave the Valley View Trail it’s uphill all the way, with just two short breaks towards the top. The last bit is a scramble to the top. Unfortunately, we had a cloudy day with a few glimpses of the nearby waterfalls from the peak. We had tons of insects though so bring a face net and lots of bug spray!

btw i recorded the hike as 8.2 miles round trip.

Dogs cannot go beyond the climbing ropes so unless you're prepared to leave them behind, you can't summit.

Amazing hike did this june 3rd easy to follow great views and had some left over energy so went back to the junction and also did allouette mountain which still had a lot of snow during the steep ascent but made for a fun slide down total trip took 6hrs including stops and breaks

Up, up and keep going up!
Grouse Grind on steroids and way less crowded.
Went up on Monday, May 21st there is still a little bit of snow after the rope climbing.
Great workout and hard on the knees coming back down.
Would do it again though!

trail has snow in areas but accessible now. no snow on scramble leading up to final summit approach. crampons optional. love this trail. best hike in area for 4 hours total.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Did this trail 1/13. Going to write a brief description how to get there because I got lost my first attempt. Start at the west canyon trail parking lot. once you enter the start of the trail walk for about 5 minutes and you'll see the sign for viewpoint trail on the left, this is the trail you want to get on. you'll go up a series of switchbacks past a waterfall. the trail will get flat and you'll have to cross across the upper part of the waterfall. Warning this section can get hard to cross if its been raining. you'll then keep walking and see a sign for Evans peak on your right. This is the start of this trail and it is VERY difficult. it will be a straight up climb and you'll pass over a lot of loose rock and soil. make sure you have the next marker in sight before moving on as some of them were hard to spot (mainly Orange, pink and some yellow markers). You'll pass a second waterfall halfway up this point then reach a flat plateau with a beautiful view of a third waterfall. there is snow after this point as of right now. overall very rewarding hike but be prepared as the decent back down is very difficult because of the steep incline and your legs will feel like jello. good hiking!

Monday, December 04, 2017

December 3, snow after about half way up and in the clouds from about two thirds... Better left for the drier months

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Steep but well marked and maintained trail. Rewarding view at the end. A couple minor scrambles to get to the final knob.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Relentless climb and very technical, but great views at the top. No water on course, make sure you have enough.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

We did this hike June 25th 2017. It was a fun hike and we made it to the top with clear weather. I made a helpful video for this hike and posted it on youtube. It will give you an idea of what to expect if you want to do this hike.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

great training trail.. straight up! take lots of fuel. dog handled it well (harness recommended)the waterfalls and top view is great! perfect day hike!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Certain parts are challenging but great view from the top. Took my 12 yr old son and I just under 3hrs up and 2.5 down and we were passed a couple times so 4hrs is slowest possible time. Filled up our water bottles at the 2hr mark.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Amazing amazing view! Very hard and steep. Still well worth it though.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Hiked yesterday, there is still a lot of snow at the top. Past the last viewpoint you walk on snow for majority of the way, crampons would help but not required. Lots of bugs.