Elk Mountain Trail to Thurston Mountain is a 14.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

14.2 km
1,062 m

As of July 2018, lasting for several weeks, a main road leading to the trailhead will be closed due to Western Toad migration. There is a clearly marked detour along Ryder Lake Road which leads directly to the trailhead, only adding 400 meters to the drive.

It was quite steep but the view was spectacular. there was a frozen area that steep and slippery. it is better to have good equipment .

Great trail, with spectacular views.

very sweet hike, steep but that was ok
We went to the camp beyond thurston had lunch and did a return
trail is well marked and maintained

So beautiful! The trail is diverse, well marked, and so well maintained!

Hiked up in the rain and had mostly cloud cover all day/night. Made camp just back from the summit. Woke up to clear sky’s and great views.

December 11, 2017 An epic hike today with two good men. Road in was salted and only a few pot holes as we got close to the trail head. 5-7 cars parked. 9:45 started our hike, 10:30 at logging road (just crossed it), 11:30 started hiking again after we rested and had snacks at the first view point....so far trail dry and in excellent condition (although steep as ever).

The second half of the trail much different. As we got to the first clearing, the trail was covered in snow and icy, slippery and a bit slushy at times as well. Temp was about 10 - super warm and sunny for December. We've had 10+ days of clear and somewhat warm temps, but a few good inches of ice and slush on the middle of trail remained. It was possible to walk along the edge somewhat and find some areas to get dry land, but micro spikes at the very least with good poles highly recommended.

Quite a few people on the trail, some with runners turned around at the snow or slightly past, maybe saw 10-14 people all day. Got to the first perfect clearing for lunch after taking the 'inside' trail to the very top.....we never even looked at the outside route.

I think we started lunch at12:45 and headed down at 1:30, 3:30 we hit the outhouse at the car lot on the bottom. A perfect day indeed.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

I don't know what it is about this one but it's always been one of my go-to hikes to bring people on. Elk mountain will always have a piece of my heart and the trail is filled with amazing memories for me

Sunday, July 16, 2017

This trail is good, bring plenty of water( it's always good to have more than you think you need).
We made a mistake of "just keep going until we hit the dead end" and ended up 3.2kms on the other side of the mountain before we realized this place has more than one way to hike and had to hike all the way back which made it more than 20km. It was totally worth it since we saw a bird with her chicks on the forest floor, really rewarding.

Monday, July 10, 2017

This trail was great! Steady uphill for most of the way and quite steep as you move towards the end. I'm new and this was doable!
Was very scary at the end where the loose shale is and you are very close to the edge. This made me quite panicked and I almost did not finish do to how dangerous I felt it was. The views are absolutely amazing and it is worth it. Be sure to wear good shoes with lots of tread.
Took about 4.5 hours total!

Friday, October 28, 2016

I wouldn't rate this hard

Saturday, April 02, 2016

chilliwack grind. 2.5 hrs up. 45 mins down running.

Saturday, October 28, 2017