Eaton Lake

Eaton Lake is a 8.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

8.5 km
961 m

bridge out

Pure Hell wasn't far from the truth. Although I wasn't feeling the best we all powered through it. Amazing waterfalls all along the way and the lake was stunning, a few of us even went for a swim. I thought the first half was hard enough.. and then you start the second half

whopping 961m elevation gain in such a short time was intense at times but totally manageable.

flies were a bit crazy but they weren't biting just landing on us, was driving me nuts having them in my hair and around my ears so threw on my buff and problem solved.

lake was...gorgeous, deep, and chilly. exactly what you need after hiking in 32 degree weather.

lounged about on the first rocks you hit when you get there. initially we attempted to find somewhere a little more secluded around the right side of the lake but there's no real trail and bushwacking was needed which isn't really good for the plants or for our legs covered only by shorts. that being said there was maybe four people there at two different times so it felt private enough

took about three hours up and two down but we definitely took our time and didn't rush

Great trail! Worth the work. Not many mosquitos at the lake last Friday during the day.

Beautiful fall at the beginning, you traverse up beautiful lush greenery with steep elevation gain, river crossing at the top, all to come out at the beautiful lake. Perfect hike.

I did this a few days ago and the trail was hard work while packing gear for an overnight but easy to follow and the lake was definitely worth the effort. The only downside was the mosquitos. I opted not to spend the night because the bug situation was unbearable. Maybe because of the recent change in weather? I’d try it again later in the summer.

hiked it few days ago...trail is clear, no snow..only got 2 mosquito bite at half way mark. nice view of the waterfalls... before reaching the 3.5km mark, you have to cross the creek, one of the wooden bridge is broken but you can go around behind the shrubs, just be careful with your steps though, some of the logs can roll/flip... overall hike is nice and be rewarded with peacefulness/quitenes of the lake... bring your fishing rods if you're upto fresh fish for lunch or dinner... it took us 6 hours return with slow - moderate pace

We hiked the trail and overnighted the weekend of June 2nd. Trail conditions were fine. There was patchy snow cover on the trail between about km 3 and km 4, but nothing significant. Nice lake, and good fishing!

Did this today..... Trail is very easy to follow and I laughed at the “pure hell” someone has graffitied onto the trail head sign.

Pros- the waterfall at .65 km is worth the trip just to that on its own. Great view.
The water and the rivers can make some decent places to sit and take a break at along the way.
It’s a challenge (at least for me) this trail from approx 1.25km is a fully uphill grind with a great amount of switchbacks. Take lots of stuff to keep hydration. And energy up

Cons (kind of)

It’s in the forest the entire way up, there is not a lot of respite from the uphill trek. Yes I know, ITS CALLED HIKING FOR A REASON!!!

As of May 24, the other side of the lake trail is non accessible. So you can get to the lake but you’re very limited to what you can do while there

Snow pack is still present is spots at the very top.

For me, the grind up and the limited amount of space to enjoy the views didn’t make it worth the climb. I’d try it again once there’s more accessibility.

easily accessible on the FSR. great day hike with spectacular views at the lake. highly recommend!

November 25, 2017- road closed to eaton lake!? A lot of messed rocks blocked the road! Disappointed.

This trail is easily accessible with a regular vehicle. It’s a steep hike like most hikes in the Fraser Valley it starts in the valley and goes up. Just about 1000 meters up in 4.6 km so it’s not like walking the sea wall. Two creek crossing near the lake. One has a log bridge but we choose to find our own way across. The water level was low so there were easy places to cross. There was a light dusting of snow at the lake. A great rewarding hike.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Wow...I underestimated the difficulty in this gruelling hike!
Twice I wanted to turn back, but I persevered...Trail is extremely steep and very narrow in parts and you gain elevation rather sharply...Not for beginners...On the way up there are 2 very scenic and exhilarating waterfall spots and couple sketchy bridges and a breathtaking ancient rockside...The final objective was well worth it...Bring lots of water and strong bug spray as the flies are relentless at times...
Allow yourself about 8 to 9 hours round trip at a leisurely pace...You will have a great sense of accomplishment when you're back at your vehicle!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

A bit of a relentless climb with a great reward at the end. A good workout. Bring bug spray. Lots of wild blueberries around the lake. Great for high energy dogs, but make sure you have water with you 'cause there isn't at all on the 2nd half (the steepest) of the hike. Saw less than 10people despite the fact that it was Sunday.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

It's a stairway to heaven!! :)

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Stunning lake that pays off after a lot of hard work, especially when covered with ice in the early season. Long, steep climb, so not recommended for anybody with weak knees!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Best hike ever

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hard

Friday, July 01, 2016

Weather was perfect for us. I was concerned about humidity but we had a nice cool breeze up and down. I set a easy pace, and took a few breaks waiting for partners to catch up. Two hours and 20 minutes to the lake, but know I could do it in 2 hours if I was solo. Top and bottom sections are fairly flat, with a steady, steep climb in between. Nice views of the creek and it's waterfalls, during the hike. Bridges were fine, and the log crossing at the pond wasn't too bad. Beautiful views at the lake of the surrounding peaks, and of course the lake itself.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June 20, 2016 - This was a nice hike, but I wouldn't rave about it being fabulous. Nice perk is that it is very accessible for any car! Highway 1 to Exit 168. Turn right onto Silver Skagit Road (Amber light?), drive about 16km down this road. Beautiful area!! There will be a sign on your left for the Eaton Creek Forest Recreation Site. I parked on the side of the road here but you can drive in a bit and park. I think these spots further in are more for people intending to camp overnight. Walk up about 200 meters and the trail starts. Wide easy trail to begin. Trail gets a bit more narrow and you will cross a sturdy bridge and then you will head away from the creek and the water fall ( trail somewhat has 2 options, go you the right, away from the falls) It got warmer as we left the water. The trail is fairly steady. I didn't find it difficult, but we were going a fairly relaxed pace as my 2 hiking friends were staying overnight so they had a heavier load then I did. About halfway though it gets steeper and heads back to be by water for most of the remainder of the hike. Note the little markers telling you when you are 2.5 km, 3.0, 3.5... At this point I think I noticed it got easier. But again in a day pack, it's not too bad. There is a point where you have to cross fallen logs going across the river. Tread carefully if the water is high. Then there is a sketch bridge with an uncertain railing, watch your step! Bouldering area gives some variety and you are just about at the lake! Took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to get up at a relaxed day pack pace, and probably a fairly normal overnight pack pace. We didn't find much exploring to do at the top, but the lake was pretty. Apparently you can fish up there, we sure saw them nibbling at the surface of the lake. Quiet trail on a Monday.

I didn't stick around too long as I was going down solo. I might have enjoyed the whole hike more and given a more positive review if I had enjoyed the solo factor. As it was, I was pretty nervous going down alone thanks to someone planting the idea of cougars in my mind. Coming down on my own, I found the trail pretty easy to lose at the beginning, so be careful. Also, I noticed going down how steep it actually was going up! My hiking poles were helpful and prevented me from slipping a few times. It was also lightly raining on the way down so that added to the slippery factor. I set a pretty fast pace going down and ran when the steep descent allowed. I got down in 1 hour 45 minutes, with a day pack and some fear on my mind to push me. ;)

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Amazing! Great spots to camp and swim

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Amazing hike, its definitely a climb but well worth it for the view.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Excellent, well maintained and marked hike. Popular with locals. It's a tough one, don't get me wrong, but the pay off is worth it!!! Bring a bathing suit as there are some awesome rocks to jump off into this pristine isolated alpine lake! 10/10

Monday, August 07, 2017