Eaton Lake

Eaton Lake is a 9.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

9.2 km
1010 m

bridge out

This trail is easily accessible with a regular vehicle. It’s a steep hike like most hikes in the Fraser Valley it starts in the valley and goes up. Just about 1000 meters up in 4.6 km so it’s not like walking the sea wall. Two creek crossing near the lake. One has a log bridge but we choose to find our own way across. The water level was low so there were easy places to cross. There was a light dusting of snow at the lake. A great rewarding hike.

Wow...I underestimated the difficulty in this gruelling hike!
Twice I wanted to turn back, but I persevered...Trail is extremely steep and very narrow in parts and you gain elevation rather sharply...Not for beginners...On the way up there are 2 very scenic and exhilarating waterfall spots and couple sketchy bridges and a breathtaking ancient rockside...The final objective was well worth it...Bring lots of water and strong bug spray as the flies are relentless at times...
Allow yourself about 8 to 9 hours round trip at a leisurely pace...You will have a great sense of accomplishment when you're back at your vehicle!

A bit of a relentless climb with a great reward at the end. A good workout. Bring bug spray. Lots of wild blueberries around the lake. Great for high energy dogs, but make sure you have water with you 'cause there isn't at all on the 2nd half (the steepest) of the hike. Saw less than 10people despite the fact that it was Sunday.

It's a stairway to heaven!! :)

Stunning lake that pays off after a lot of hard work, especially when covered with ice in the early season. Long, steep climb, so not recommended for anybody with weak knees!

Best hike ever

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hard

Friday, July 01, 2016

Weather was perfect for us. I was concerned about humidity but we had a nice cool breeze up and down. I set a easy pace, and took a few breaks waiting for partners to catch up. Two hours and 20 minutes to the lake, but know I could do it in 2 hours if I was solo. Top and bottom sections are fairly flat, with a steady, steep climb in between. Nice views of the creek and it's waterfalls, during the hike. Bridges were fine, and the log crossing at the pond wasn't too bad. Beautiful views at the lake of the surrounding peaks, and of course the lake itself.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June 20, 2016 - This was a nice hike, but I wouldn't rave about it being fabulous. Nice perk is that it is very accessible for any car! Highway 1 to Exit 168. Turn right onto Silver Skagit Road (Amber light?), drive about 16km down this road. Beautiful area!! There will be a sign on your left for the Eaton Creek Forest Recreation Site. I parked on the side of the road here but you can drive in a bit and park. I think these spots further in are more for people intending to camp overnight. Walk up about 200 meters and the trail starts. Wide easy trail to begin. Trail gets a bit more narrow and you will cross a sturdy bridge and then you will head away from the creek and the water fall ( trail somewhat has 2 options, go you the right, away from the falls) It got warmer as we left the water. The trail is fairly steady. I didn't find it difficult, but we were going a fairly relaxed pace as my 2 hiking friends were staying overnight so they had a heavier load then I did. About halfway though it gets steeper and heads back to be by water for most of the remainder of the hike. Note the little markers telling you when you are 2.5 km, 3.0, 3.5... At this point I think I noticed it got easier. But again in a day pack, it's not too bad. There is a point where you have to cross fallen logs going across the river. Tread carefully if the water is high. Then there is a sketch bridge with an uncertain railing, watch your step! Bouldering area gives some variety and you are just about at the lake! Took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to get up at a relaxed day pack pace, and probably a fairly normal overnight pack pace. We didn't find much exploring to do at the top, but the lake was pretty. Apparently you can fish up there, we sure saw them nibbling at the surface of the lake. Quiet trail on a Monday.

I didn't stick around too long as I was going down solo. I might have enjoyed the whole hike more and given a more positive review if I had enjoyed the solo factor. As it was, I was pretty nervous going down alone thanks to someone planting the idea of cougars in my mind. Coming down on my own, I found the trail pretty easy to lose at the beginning, so be careful. Also, I noticed going down how steep it actually was going up! My hiking poles were helpful and prevented me from slipping a few times. It was also lightly raining on the way down so that added to the slippery factor. I set a pretty fast pace going down and ran when the steep descent allowed. I got down in 1 hour 45 minutes, with a day pack and some fear on my mind to push me. ;)

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Amazing! Great spots to camp and swim

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Amazing hike, its definitely a climb but well worth it for the view.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Excellent, well maintained and marked hike. Popular with locals. It's a tough one, don't get me wrong, but the pay off is worth it!!! Bring a bathing suit as there are some awesome rocks to jump off into this pristine isolated alpine lake! 10/10