East Sooke Coast Trail

East Sooke Coast Trail is a 22.2 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sooke, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 22.2 km Elevation Gain: 648 m Route Type: Loop

beach

Three of us did the coastal part on a beautiful April day (without the interior loop). It was just over 10 km and took a little more than seven hours with very few stops. It starts off easy from Alyard Farm but becomes quite a work out with a lot of steep climbs and descents from mid-way to the end. There are are few very narrow parts at high heights. I am not an unseasoned hiker and found this challenging; used my hands a lot in the climbs. Some of the scenery was simply breathtaking making the seemly endless trail worth the effort.

Amazing hike! Probably the best I’ve done yet. Definitely can be challenging at times. Be prepared

Great hike ! Parking lot packed. Lots of nice friendly people and lots of dogs. Watch your footing on this one. Beautiful white sand beach to start and majestic ocean scenery and rainforest. Fairly easy hike. Got to love Vancouver Island !

Scenic coastal route one way followed by a forest path and road back to the parking lot. Very enjoyable and not too difficult, as long as you're prepared for navigating amongst roots and rocks one way and elevation change the other.

Read the reviews! I did this hike back in 2016 with my husband and my brother. It is one of the best day hikes I’ve done in Canada but it wasn’t easy as many of these reviews have also stated. I’d say moderate to difficult. It is also a 10 hike along the coast. We had a gorgeous spring day for this and I have terrific memories of blue skies, sea life and the sound of crashing waves. A very memorable hike! Shout out to the blog ‘HikeBikeTravel’ for this most excellent suggestion.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

amazing day hike. I like to do side trips up to the old iron mines. lots of sea life to sea and historical petroglyphs. a must do

Monday, March 05, 2018

Very beautiful and moderate trail!

Monday, September 25, 2017

Easy 13km, one way from becher bay to iron mine bay. 6 hours including about 1 hour worth of stops. Beautiful with the fog rolling in and out.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017

We took beechy head trail and then connected back via this trail. It was awesome but not easy. Kids 10 and 4 loved it because of all the rocks to climb and the variety of view and trees and beaches, and it was a bit dangerous in spots:)

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great trail, lots of great lookouts and beaches.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Trail is amazing and beautiful but definetly should not be rated as easy . The reviews we read led us to believe this was an easy hike along the coast when in fact it is very difficult . Narrow ledges at times with a great distance to fall , and a lot of ups and downs over difficult terrain . The trail took us 7.5 hours to complete and we hike all the time . I was concerned at comments stating this trail would be safe for young children and as a mother I greatly disagree with this . A loss of footing in many places could cause severe injury . The hike was one of the most beautiful I have ever done but the rating definetly should be changed from easy to at least moderate if not difficult . I don't know if you rated the trail based on the inner trails through the forest but we took the actual Coast Trail along the rock bluffs and it is not easy

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Fantastic hike! Coastal and forest!

Monday, January 30, 2017

The best trail for day hikes. It's fairly easy to Beechers point and then you start hiking up and down the headlands. Absolutely not easy. Can be quite the climb. We have done the entire coastal hike in 4.5 hours at a hard pace. Absolutely love this hike .

Friday, December 23, 2016

This is one of my favourite trails and has been called one of Canada's best day hikes. I have never seen the Coast Trail called a loop nor has it ever been called easy for all skill levels. As decently experienced hiker, I don't think that this description is accurate and quite frankly, dangerously misleading. The Coast trail is actually a 10k (as the crow flies) day hike. Most people choose to leave a car at one of the trail heads (Aylard Farm or Pike Road) and then use a second car to drive to the second trailhead for departure. It is normally called a challenging or difficult hike; lots of ups and downs - often 40-50% grade, sometimes up to 86%, some scrambling, trail is not always clearly marked, roots/rocks and steep sections. The central portion is the toughest. Allow anywhere between 5-8 hours to complete. The Iron Mine Bay side is considered more challenging and less used. Aylard Park area is well used. Even though the Coast Trail itself is not a loop, in East Sooke Park there are numerous transverse trails as well two longitudinal trails; the Coast and Interior Trail. Combining portions of these trails makes it easy to create some really great loops. The trail is beautiful, gorgeous scenery, amazing views and highly recommend.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

It was a great day Just me and my daughter

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Definitely my favorite for views & a workout.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

The trailhead was impossible to find. It appears all access has been sold for private property? We would have loved to explore the trail, but couldn't find any access :( we gave up.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Good anytime of year.

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Beautiful in early autumn

Monday, August 10, 2015

Great coastal hike. Easy to moderate trail with fantastic lookouts and great views of the coastline. No major elevation changes but lots of tree roots and rock formations to scramble over.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

See a slide show of the trail here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59EIOOJhL8 If you have only one day to go hiking in Victoria, I would highly recomend the East Sooke Park Coastal trail. The views of the Juan de Fuca Straight and Olympic mountains are incredible, and in the summer it is nearly tropical with the sunlight reflecting off the ocean. There is a small sand beach at the Aylard Farm end, which is a perfect spot to relax at the end of this epic hike.