East Skyline Trail is a 19.8 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Okanagan-Similkameen H, British Columbia, Canada and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.8 km Elevation Gain: 1,178 m Route Type: Out & Back

The views are well worth the climb!

Did the first part of the Skyline trail (called “Skyline I” on park maps) as an 8 mile out-and-back over Labor Day weekend in early September. Temperatures were really pleasant and the trail was really clear, with mossy forest giving way to exposed rocky outcroppings higher up. The first section is a fairly strenuous uphill leading to a distinct ridgeline, which disappointed because a large area appears to have burned, leaving sparse vegetation. Reached the first summit on the ridge, sat for a bit and enjoyed the views across the range and down to Flash Lake, and then turned back there as we were already tired. Will have to try the entire Skyline Loop next time!

Medium/difficult hike! Gradual high elevations. Best time to go is in mid June to mid July to see the alpine stunning flowers!!!

Left from lightening lakes campground. Steady up thru the trees with no real views until the first burned area. Ran the ridge until the final highest point then turned around. 14km round trip. Beautiful views along the ridge

I just loved this hike! I started at Strawberry Flats and took the trail leading to skyline 2. By the time I got up to the amazing lookout I had chatted with a few people who said the peak heading toward lightning lake was great to check out with it’s 360 view. So I decided to keep going. Took about 45 min and was worth it for the view and the fields of colorful flowers you walk through (bug spray needed for that part). At that point it was pretty much half way to either go back or keep going and make my way to lightning lake. I decided to keep going and found my way over 2 more peaks before descending. Hitched a ride back to the car at strawberry flats. If you’re in a group and have two cars, it’s great to park one at strawberry flats and the other at lightning lake. Could start at either end and make your way. For me, if this was the only hike I did on my visit, then I’d be a happy girl. I think it ended up being around 18k and took about 9 hours, with a long lunch and lots of picture taking. 7ish hours is probably sufficient. Definitely one of my favorites and would do it again.

Wonderful trail! I hiked from Strawberry Flats to Mowich camp on Skyline 2 on day one, and then back along this route to lightning lakes on day 2 (taking the south Gibson trail back to the car at Strawberry flats). The trail is completely snow free, and covered in wildflowers. A little bit of blowdown on trail for the first 6 km, but nothing too hard to get over with a pack. Lots of little streams around Mowich camp for water supply too. Bring bug spray!

What an amazing and challenging trail! I did the loop from Strawberry Flats, going right and back around via the day use parking lot and Gibson Pass Road. Was about 21.3km as a loop. I carried my 9 month old in her frame pack (about 30lbs of additional weight) and did the hike with my two dogs. I saw 3 other couples through out the day, was nice that it wasn’t too busy even though it was an absolutely gorgeous day. Bring lots of water!! I’m thankful we finished via the Lightning Lake day use area as there was a tap I could refill my bottles with. My body is wrecked but the views are worth it. Simply stunning. First 4km going right from the trail post at strawberry flats have a ton of fallen trees - was a bit sketchy for me to navigate packing a babe but manageable :) We started at the SF parking area at 8:30a and were back at the car for 4p (minus about an hour and a bit of break times). Definitely allow yourself the day

A great full day hike with spectacular views. Definitely recommended.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Did the Skyline loop clockwise on 04/21/19. I started from the lightning lake day use area. It was the scariest solo hike I’ve done in my life. Trail was covered in snow from start to finish and I didn’t see anyone during the whole hike. No footsteps and I was breaking the trail most of the time. The traverse was the scariest. It was all covered in snow and no signs on where the trail exactly is. I used Gaia app to keep myself on the trail which was super helpful. I think it is meant for a summer hike when there’s no snow. I was walking on avalanche terrain, bushwhacking in snow and traveling on windy knife edges and ridges. It became worse after noon. So many times I wished I had a partner on this hike or at least a few other people doing it. It was really weird that nobody was there, given that it was the last day of the long weekend. I was at least expecting an easy to follow trail. Anyway, it was an amazing day. Had a great view of the cascades. I found some snowshoe tracks when I got to the Skyline junction, which was a big relief. One of the tracks led me to a completely different direction, so be careful and keep looking at the map! Got off at the strawberry flats and back on the road to get back to the day use area. Thought I’d hitch the road section but didn’t see a single car.

Thu Nov 15 2018

just about manageable now without snow shoes as trail was broken. eighteen inches of snow throughout. Icy conditions so microspikes essential

Fri Aug 03 2018

Challenging trail but the views make it totally worth it. Beautiful vistas and wide alpine meadows full of wildflowers. Absolutely stunning. Hiked to Mowich camp and spent the night. Be prepared for bear encounters!

Sun Jan 07 2018

great ridge hike and a good day hike loop. steady and steep up to the ridge then moderate ups and downs. great views of the chain lakes below and the surrounding peaks. limited water on the route except for creaks form the melting snow.

recorded Recording - Jul 27, 12:27 PM