Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 4.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Vancouver District, British Columbia, Canada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.7 km
149 m

Amazing scenery!

good snow shoe trail, can get too busy. easy to use just crampons instead of shoes. great view up top.

This one I love snow or no snow. The inclines are great to get you sweating and feel a little challenging but it's well worth it in the end , make sure you pick a day where the sky is clear for the view, when the snow comes, so do the whiskey jacks so bring some bread or seeds. It's a great hike for the family too or beginners in snow shoeing, safe. And dog friendly.

Thanksgiving hike.... very busy and slippery on tree branches... not an easy hike I would say more moderate. But so worth the views at the top on a clear day.

Went really early in the morning at sunrise. The hike itself was easy but would recommend good hiking shoes. The trails consists of mostly tree roots and mud. Tree stumps, logs, and bridges are placed along the trail to get across creeks and mud. Great views

Did the trail last Saturday morning. Well marked and very busy with great views from Dog Mt. Not very challenging for a moderate trail but some tricky footing with the roots. We came back via Suicide Bluffs which made the total length closer to 6.6km and only saw two other people on this section. Stunning views from the lookout before (clockwise travel) Suicide Bluff also. Bugs not bad at all this time of year either.

normally love this hike and as I'm not from the area, was very excited to get up there yesterday to do it again. unfortunately, we decided to turn back to the car before we even made it to the trail head. to say it was buggy is an understatement. we felt like we were in Steven King's "the mist". you couldn't take a step without having atleast three fly into your face, one in your ear and a couple in your nose or mouth. it was brutal! And we weren't the only ones. people were running back to their cars, covering their faces lol. will try again in a few weeks. hopefully the bugs will have died down a bit by then, the more the snow melts and the drier it gets.

but the hike itself is beautiful. beautiful view at the top. moderately challenging for people who aren't super fit and athletic but more nice weather hikers, which I like because I can't do super challenging but easy is too easy most of the time. it can be slippery with some tricky footing so wear good shoes, probably actual hiking boots, though I've done it in runners but at times had to be extra careful not to twist an ankle.

Our favourite snowshoe trail!

I really like this one. It's a great one to take a beginner on and has a great view for such medium effort to get there!

Great view! Can be rocky in some parts. I'd recommend hiking boots.

Good, easy hike. Great view at the top!

Nice hike but you can go more than 100 feet without running into someone else. So if you like a social climb this is perfect!

Short, sweet, technical and pretty views at the end. The downside is that it became very popular and unless you go very early morning, it's a zoo out there.

A nice trail with amazing views.

Trail was really good and the view was beautiful. The lake is gorgeous. Only complaint is that it's hard to follow the trail sometimes and some parts seemed a little hazardous.

yes the view was great and nice day too but I and my wife had to come back half way because of bugs. Lot of bugs. so much bugs. bugs were flying everywhere, get into my mouth, nose, ears, my back, all over my arms and legs and sucking bloods. my wife was wearing a cap and she freaked out because these bugs were sitting underneath her cap shade, many of them. I'm not coming back to this trail in July anymore. please someone tells me when would be the best time to do this trail with no bugs. I come to have so much respect those hikers who finish the trail under this circumstance. but must be great trail. it was just me and my wife who couldn't handle this.

Hiked 7/3, starting around noon. As others have noted, there was still a pretty solid layer of snow covering 1/2-3/4 of the trail. The warm sun softened up the snow a bit, making it somewhat slippery in spots - but still definitely manageable with regular hiking boots (no real need for micro-spikes). Very buggy, but if you hike at a decent pace, you shouldn't be too bothered by them.

I found the hike to be very enjoyable. Not terribly challenging, but a very exciting route through some beautiful terrain. The view at the peak is spectacular. Easy to see the Vancouver skyline - even more impressive to see the snow-capped mountains in the opposite direction.

Snow still there, some part very slippery. muggy, and a lot of bugs. Nice view!

Solid layer of snow most of the way up. A lot of people were wearing running shoes and managed fine. Great view at the top with lots of room to sit and relax. Fairly short hike, it took me 2 hours total including 20 minutes at the top.

Enjoyable, very scenic when you summit (assuming the fog's not blocked the view).