Diez Vistas and Lake Buntzen Loop

Diez Vistas and Lake Buntzen Loop is a 12.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.9 km Elevation Gain: 639 m Route Type: Loop

beach

This trail loop around Lake Buntzen has lovely viewpoints along the way. The first switchback section is steep but not too technical. The parking area gets busy in the warmer months. Try it as a winter hike if you enjoy more solitude or want to make it more challenging. Going clockwise means you will be going up the steeper part and down the slightly less steep part, which is easier on the knees, but the hike is doable either way.

The trail is in very good condition. Plenty of signage; you can't. get lost. We were planning on garbage along the trail, however, surprisingly there was none. View points offer great views over the surrounding area. the trail is not difficult. It could get slippery w|en wet and lots of tree roots could be a trip hazard along the trail. however, everybody can manage this trail. it took us 5 hrs to complete.

icy

Technical run or hike with some steep terrain, lots of roots and rocks and undulating paths. Great challenge amoungst stunning mountain views and trees. Starting to get icy - didn’t use our YakTrax and I suspect they will be necessary soon. Snowing at the top. Bring layers, toque and gloves! Clockwise approach definitely a good idea as the climb was substantial and good to tackle while one has fresh legs.

icy

This well marked established trail has it all - vistas of the Indian Arm, McCombe and Buntzen Lakes, the North shore, Belcarra, the city, a waterfall and beautiful old growth forests. As others have mentioned you are best to go in a clockwise direction getting the majority of the elevation gain completed in the first three kms. There are sections where you will be scrambling but nothing of real significance. Otherwise the trail surface is a combination of tree roots, outcrop, gravel and soil. There was only one other person on the Diez Vistas trail section, but that wasn’t the case on the Buntzen Lake trail. The return on the north side of Buntzen Lake is basically a gravel pathway with many walking bridge creek crossings. BC Hydro have done an extremely good job of the gravel pathway, the North and South beach areas which was being put to good use even on December 1st.

fee

We left my friend and I at 09:30 from the parking lot, knowing that night falls at 16:30 and the entrance to the park closes at the same time. At this time of the year, the cold was present -3 degrees when we left then around 12h (in height) 0 degrees. We could find a little snow in the heights, ATTENTION it slips. You have to start the course in a clockwise direction (on the left side of the lake) big climb, very happy to have done it at the beginning because the end was a bit long. There is no other big climb at the end the descent is a little rough. We met two hikers, both were alone which reassured us for the bears, there must not be much attendance. To do for those who love adventure

icy

Very nice hike in the cold, important to make the hike in the direction of clockwise because the big difficulty is at the beginning in this direction. The trails are extremely well marked, however the circuit passes through sometimes dangerous and rocky places, attention where we put the ankles. To do and see for the magnificent views from above on Vancouver and surrounding areas.

Beautiful hike don’t think it’s difficult but some may find it hard

Take the path in a clockwise direction. Difficult at first but relax at the end of the course. Be careful, there are several tags missing.

Nice and quiet and a great workout! But just didn’t offer the views to hikes of similar effort. The parking lot offered lots of room for my 2007 Lexus ES 350, of which I was grateful!

Am always up for a challenge and this one sure did. Loved it, just take your time and enjoy the views.

Great hike, we did this hike on a sunny day but there was lots of shade. Hardest part of the hike was getting to the first view point, with a gradual incline. From the first to third viewpoint were lots of switchbacks. All in all, took us about 4.5 hours including the buntzen loop. Would recommend doing the shortcut, cutting through the first to the suspension bridge. The park did have a hard 7pm close time so unfortunately we did not have the chance to jump into the lake. Would recommend doing this hike at an earlier time so you aren’t pressed for time.

moderate traffic. lots of roots. 3-4 good lookouts. good 4 hour workout hike

Don’t expect a view at the peak - it is more like multiple smaller viewpoints on the descent (if you are approaching clockwise). Scrambly descent - bring hiking poles.

It was the perfect day for that hike. I took my family there, including my 15 mo-old girl. It took us 7.5 hours. There are two great lookouts facing Indian Arm and Deep Cove. We dove in the lake at end. Last stretch to the parking lot was challenging on the legs because we're all tired.

Beautiful trail, was happy I went counter clockwise as it seemed easier that way. I would rate it as moderate rather then hard.

what un amazing experience , beautiful scenery and views at the peak. so rewarding. definitely would do it again!

We have started early in the morning, the quietness was so real and very satisfying, overall it was challenging on some places , very steep that pains the knee going down, the trails signs are always visible thanks to those who take care of it including maintaining the paths where needed, will love to do it again, all the sweating and pain is worth the beauty of the trail and view

it's very good, especially if your by yourself on the hike, definitely recommend for a nice day out in the wilderness, it is steep but does get better

I've repeatedly seen this hike on lists of best hikes in the Lower Mainland so i expected it to be awesome. Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed and found it disappointing. I don't think you get great bang for your buck when it comes to effort vs. views. The trail itself is fine but for a hike that prides itself on "views", I thought there was really only 1 good view and it was pretty early in the hike so the back half just felt tedious. So many other great hikes around so I wouldn't do this one again.

Very good hike very steep in the up and down disappointed in how many of the views are overgrown but definitely recommend it have fun