Clague Mountain Trail is a 21.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 21.6 km Elevation Gain: 1,442 m Route Type: Out & Back

This trail first goes up to Clague Mountain and then forks to stop and stay overnight at the Clague Mountain Cabin. If you'd like to do this at an out and back, you can ignore the turn to the right on your descent and continue back down to the trailhead. The trailhead featured here is from the beginning of Wedeene Mainline Forestry Road. You can continue driving past the trailhead noted on the map here until you see a parking area, or park anywhere along the way you are allowed to do so and walk the rest.

Difficult but a beauty

Muddy muddy muddy.

Hiked this trail was great. Took my German shepherd with me and even though some parts are steep he had no problem. We hiked in September and there was snow at the top. Be careful thought streams can create large caves underneath. Coming down was a different sore as my toes pushed into ends of my boots and stomach was sore from tensing core to keep balance. Was a full day hike for us.

This was a very steep and difficult climb It made me feel old. I never exercise and realized I should have trained my legs before the trip. I remember hiking it 30 years ago without a map or gps. It felt easy and I never once felt lost. I once skied up in the middle of winter with my father when I was 14. That time we stayed overnight in the old cabin. This time I had this great app with GPS but I kept getting lost on the top half and that was with 4 other sets of eyes with me. The top half trail is hard to find for the safest route. I brought along four active teenagers between the ages of 13 and 15 and a dog. The teens did incredibly well. The dog had endless energy. It took us 9 hours of steady walking. We barely stopped. It is cold at the top even in mid August. We all brought extra layers. Saw one bear from a distance 2/3's up he left us alone. Coming down several of us had sore toes because our feet slid to the front of our footwear. Tighten your shoelaces before this happens. We reached the summit and got back safely with no injuries or tears. I feel very proud of my hiking crew and they will keep this as a proud memory and confidence booster.

Mon May 20 2019

The trail is certainly a difficult track, from the moment that you leave the car it is a hard up hill slog. Best prepared for some bugs in May, a lot of mosquitoes. Pack water but there is fresh running water you can fill up your water bottle along the trail. The walk to the hut is about 12km round trip. The trail is well maintained and signed. The views are amazing and many photos to be taken along the way.

Thu Dec 13 2018