Cheam Peak is a 7.7 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.7 km
637 m

off road driving

A 4WD vehicle with good clearance is recommended to get to the trailhead.

Wow... probably one of the most beautiful hike that I have ever done in my life... without my friend’s truck I would never be able to get there. Want to buy a 4x4 just so I can come back to here one day.

I went yesterday (18/Nov/11). I ran into snow about 3k before the main parking area so had to park and begin our hike there. This was my second time hiking Cheam and first time in the snow. I didn't expect as much snow as we encountered. Snow was very soft and the trails of course were self made. I summited without poles, crampons or snow shoes - so it's possible, but not recommended!

We made it up in our Ford Escape but I wouldn’t recommend going up without a decent truck. The hike on the other hand I would definitely recommend, stunning views and pretty easy going the whole way.

Spectacular views on a clear day. Good family hike that will tire the kids.

The view is always worth the hike

you would need a good ground clearance and 4wd

Some easy off-roading (during summer time I guess). Need a 4x4 truck with high clearance. Nice views everywhere when no wildfires. Will definitely return.

Great hike, just as hard coming down as going up. Rocky and slippery. Awesome views.

One of my favourite hikes of all time. You will need a proper 4wd truck/SUV with decent ground clearance to make it up.
Hike took around 3.5 hours round trip with stopping for photos in between and at the top

Good change to an alpine hike from more typical lower mainland trails. Nice flowers, butterflies and birds as well. The views at the top are supposed to be great but visibility today was limited due to smoke. It was still really good even though I didn’t get the “full experience” at the top. The trail itself is in excellent condition though the same cannot be said for the road. The road has a lot of washout but they are really solid bottomed so you don’t need to worry about anything but clearance.

Just did this hike yesterday, August 5th. We spent a total of 5 hours to complete the hike including an hour at the top, and stopping every few minutes to enjoy the views.

I would recommend accounting for an extra 1.5 hours for the drive to and back from the trailhead. The drive isnt super bad, any 4x4 pickup truck or a jeep would do.

Views and the hike is worth all the effort.

Real beautiful, good workout, 1h 45 up, 1h 20 down from staging area, 4x4 or walk to trail head.
Took too much water but always prepared.
Lots of people and trucks , but friendly,
Highly recomend

Snow is gone on the road and trail. Some rough road here and there. Somebody asked if a Forester would make it - I’d say it can - just be wary of some of the runoff sections. Keep to the sides and you shouldn’t have an issue.

Trail has two muddy sections around the middle section. Was slippery in spots but there’s enough dry spots to get through.

This can be a steep trail for beginners. The road up there can take over a hour and very hard without a Jeep.

The road is NOT good condition right now. You can maybe get 3-4km from the trailhead before the snow is densley packed. We hiked an hour or so to the trailhead but had to turn around. Unless you have snowshoes and a full day of time to do it, it's worth waiting until the melt. That being said, we still had a blast walking along the snowed in FSR and looking at the views!

Did near end of July for sunset and it was spectacular. 2 small patches of snow, easy to navigate over. The road is as awful as they say. Ideally need high clearance and 4WD, or you could probably make it in a 2WD Jeep, or a car you don’t care about breaking.

No 4x4 unfortunately, so planning on hiking to the trailhead and going up that way. Unless anyone is going up this weekend! :)

Anyone tried with a Subaru Forester? Wondering whether my Forester will make it. Thanks.

Amazing views and a great climb. Need a truck or 4x4 to get to the trail head. completable there and back in under 3 hours from the top parking lot. bring snacks to feed to chipmunks at the top!

I did from beginning of 4×4 road took me 29.2 km 7 hours elevation 1926m round trip was great. P.s. I didn't have 4×4 vehicle

Favourite hike in the lower mainland. Spectacular views. Baker always looking good from up there too.

Best at the end of summer but went up the beginning of June! Be prepared for all of the different elements. Had to hike a couple km’s to the trail head. Only made it to just above the meadow and turned back due to weather. Incredible during the winter!

off road driving

4x4 with good clearance is a must.

Definitely need a 4x4 to get to mount cheam. If you don’t like we didn’t we walked the road 12km in. We didn’t get to the peak not enough day light and or time add on another round trip of 4hrs to the peak and back down to the car it would of been late. Traveled June 15th. Lots of snow still up at cheam.

Short and sweet ascent. Tricky FSR drive in. Had to rescue a few people after their cars didnt make it. 4WD and high clearance is necessary. Insist on doing this on clear day as the views down the valley are amazing.

A favorite

Absolutely 100% worth it, but you will need a 4x4 or something with good clearance to make it up the service road, Incredible views from the peak aswell. will be doing again one day

Beautiful but go early because it’s way to popular and gets real busy.

incredible views

One of my favourite trails to hike, hate the drive up.