Black Tusk Trail is a 25.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cheakamus 11, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 25.9 km Elevation Gain: 1,661 m Route Type: Loop

Note: Trail may be closed due to bear activity. Please check with the park page for more information.

Spectacular view. Need to be careful when coming down, as the rocks/ loose chippings can make it quite easy to trip and fall.

beautiful trail! we brought snowshoes and definitely had to use them once we got higher up. snow was above our knees at points. we only went to the viewpoint. we could hear cracks of snow echoing and were worried about avalanches (no idea of this is valid or if avalanches are common in this area but it felt scary!). but overall we had great weather and great views!

icy

Hiked this Nov 19 on a very sunny day and there was snow at 1400M approaching Taylor Meadows. We hiked to Black Tusk Meadows and turned around before the junction of Garibaldi Lake/ Black Tusk trails merge to make it back before sunset. It is very snowy and icy after 1400M, we used micro spikes and crampons which were very useful and made the hike much more enjoyable. The trail was in good condition until it was very snowy in the meadow but you could see the trail because of previous hikers during the day. There were backcountry skiers returning from skiing the face of the Tusk and said it was very windy. It is very cold on top but manageable. No bears seen. Overall very fun day, beautiful weather.

Hiked this trail four days ago. There is snow! Lots of snow. The trail is spectacular though. Many washrooms, shelters and maps on the way to the peak. When we came back to the trail head, the trail was closed due to bear activities.

recorded Black Tusk Trail

Hiked this trail on Sept 28, 2019. What an amazing and memorable hike. Not too long into the switchbacks, we encountered snow so we slid on our crampons/spikes. So glad I brought them as some members of our group didn’t and they ran into some difficultly when descending the trails later. Taylor meadows looked liked winter wonderland and the dusting of snow on the mountains made the scenery that much more spectacular. The wind must’ve been blowing up to 30 km/h and it felt like -12 at times. Luckily I had packed many layers and I wore them all! The snow can be blinding so don’t forget those sunglasses. When we got down to the trailhead at 7pm, a sign indicated closure of the trial due to “extreme bear activity.” We were told that a black bear got a hold of someone’s backpack ... yikes Anyways, this experience was so beautiful that I can’t wait to do this all over again! And I just fell love with fall/winter hiking.

Absolutely amazing hike. Wouldn’t recommend for beginners as the end is very unstable due to a lot of rubble. I did in one day in just over 6hours but ran the whole way down. Doable in one day but probably more enjoyable if camping.

I did this as a day hike from Taylor Meadows Campground. Great hike that begins as a walk through vast meadows. The hike soon starts to gain in elevation leading to awesome views. I stopped at the viewpoint knowing that better views will come on my next trip right up to The Tusk.

This one was tough but so worth it. Its tricky getting up to the tusk and back down, didnt climb on top of it, very dicey. Trail conditions were excellent.

I did Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge back to back. Took me around 9 hours. Filled up with water in the running streams as the lake water was full of bits. This is tougher than Panorama Ridge, with the final 1.5km-2km entirely on shale/gravel that means it takes 2-3 steps in order to go one. It's very open at that point, so on a sunny day, going is tough. I had no poles - though they certainly would have helped. I stopped underneath the overhang as, for me, I couldn't see the benefit of the risk/reward. If you have climbing gear, you might be fine. Black Tusk offers great views, although not as good as Panorama Ridge. Different. There's more snow on the surrounding slopes, for instance. Beware that the car park fills up early with hikers heading to here, Black Tusk, or Garibaldi. Except for the greater challenge, I'd likely recommend Panorama Ridge over this.

Amazing hike! My friend and I did this hike round trip in 7.5 hours, but totally doable in 6.5 if we tried. We left Burnaby around 6am and started the hike at 8am. Fairly new hiker, but active. There is a large parking lot but it was already getting quite busy around 730am. The hike itself is quite easy-moderate with a slow gradual incline - just very long. It was only the last 2km to the summit where you will be scrambling because of all the loose rock. Hiking poles are def recommended! View was breathtaking and no photos or videos can do it justice! Very cold at the top so have a jacket. I recommend if you have weak ankles to wear a ankle brace. I usually don’t need for hikes 10km or less but with the length of this hike, my ankle was not having it for the last 3km out of the 26km!

Hiked it in the clouds which is hard to recommend, but it was beautiful in it's own sense. The lack of visibility, loose volcanic rock and steep cliffs gave for an other-worldly feeling. We made it to the base but did not dare go further due to the conditions. Can't wait to try this one again on a clear day!

Excellent walk with some breathtaking views. Challenging at times with a scramble at the end, didn't climb the tusk as it seemed a bit dangerous (not a climber) though did attempt it. Probably would say that only attempt this if you are a confident climber with a helmet as the rocks are quite loose. Overall would definitely recommend this one as a beautiful day out, one of my favourite walks in this area. We are fairly experienced hikers and it took us 10 hours there and back.

Wow - stunning hike. From the forested ascent to the alpine meadow to the exposed trek along the final ridge to the tusk. Every part of it was amazing. Highly recommended. The parking lot is busy so get there early. Not much water until you’re up in the alpine valley and then there are lots of streams - we ran the water through a portable filtration device. Really an amazing experience. Highly recommend to anyone who loves to hike and is up for a physical challenge!

August 7th 2019 we hiked Panorama Ridge, Black Tusk, and Garibaldi Lake all in a day. We arrived shortly before 6am and returned at exactly 6pm! 12 hours with a few breaks including swimming at Garibaldi, and it was all worth it! Going straight up through Taylor Meadows, we summited Panorama in just under 4 hours, with a good pace. The hike itself was not too difficult until the scramble for about the last kilometre. The bugs were awful through the Taylor Meadows though so bring lots of bug spray. After this we headed down the ridge and up Black Tusk. 3 of us climbed the chimney while 1 did not, but overall the view was spectacular. Would definitely recommend good hiking boots and maybe a walking pole for the loose rock sections near the top. Lastly, we came back down and turned left just after the Black Tusk Junction to go see Garibaldi lake. With the intention of doing multiple hikes in one day, I would definitely recommend going Garibaldi last, as walking down to it from Black Tusk Junction is far easier than the incline directly to it from the parking lot. Overall, all 3 were amazing and Panorama was personally my favourite! All I can suggest is bug spray, sunscreen, and take lots of breaks to conserve energy as need be!

Such a great hike. Loved it all the way. Total elevation gain seems like a lot but you don't feel it that much as the hike is long. The final scramble to get to the summit of the tusk was looked challenging at first but was totally manageable. The views at the top were amazing and so worth all the efforts.

wow

I did it July 28 2019. Perfect weather for this hike. Variety of terrains; forest, switchbacks, meadows, creeks, flowers, loose rocks near the base of the tusk. It’s moderate until you reach the end of trail (where there’s a sign that suggests you don’t go further) from this sign up to the ridge (the very base of the peak) is challenging - probably around 1 km. If you’re planning to climb the chimney, bring a helmet because rocks keep falling off specially when there’s many people. Protect your head and make sure you are fit and have enough confidence. Climbing the peak - the chimney is not recommended if you’re just an average hiker. In general, it’s an epic hike that you’ll remember for the rest of your life!!

July 28: sunny day with breeze - ideal weather. The trail includes everything. Switchbacks in the forest, lots of open exposed area, and views galore. The trail gets much much steeper as you approach the base of the Tusk. Loose rock makes it a challenging hike up to the base of the Tusk from the official end of the trail. (The sign that says it’s not safe to go further). The trail along the base to the chimney is sketchy - Care needed. Go slow. The chimney is as everyone says - treacherous but doable. Saying this - you’re always one loose rock away from a very nasty fall. Please wear a helmet - and thin gloves with rubber really helped me get a better grip. Insects were around but not too much of an issue while moving. We had extremes in measuring distance. One person had 18.4 kilometers to the summit of the Tusk. One other had over 30 to the base of the Tusk. Didn’t bother to check either. The distance posted is probably accurate. This is definitely a difficult/ hard hike. To the Tusk base it’s very doable if you are in decent shape - the challenge is if after going down you’re knees and t-band, and any other muscle/ tendon are still feeling ok. Poles are definitely a suggestion for the way down.

Awesome trail, one of the best trail.

Epic views, better than panaroma ridge. Great quality trail but very busy. Good to start early. We are fit hikers and summited Black Tusk in 3.5 hours.

Did this hike mid June 2019. Still got some snow at the top, so snowshoes/spikes and poles would've not hurt. We went up to the Black tusk and then down to the Garibaldi lake and from there to the parking lot. We were able to do this all in one day, it was a long day for us! Lots of switchbacks which everyone might not love, but the views are absolutely worth it! 360 degree panoramic views with the Garibaldi lake are hard to beat! This is a must do if you're in the area and feel experienced enough for it.

Absolutely loved this hike! We went up on a Saturday morning and stopped at Garibaldi Lake for lunch, before looping back to Taylor Meadows campground where we stayed that night. This was arguably the harder part of the trip as the switch backs felt endless with our heavy packs on. The next morning we headed up to Black Tusk. From the campground to Black Tusk junction it’s relatively flat for a few kilometers. The rest of the way up is uphill, but not too steep until you reach the end of the maintained trail. The whole way up you’re surrounded by breathtaking views! I’ve never done such a beautiful hike. We ended up continuing past the sign to the Tusk and after some deliberation decided to claim it. I won’t lie I was terrified due to the heights and loose rock but we are both fairly advanced hikers and have beginner experience climbing so we went for it. While this decision may not be the best for everything I am so glad we did and the 360° view from the top was like nothing I’ve ever seen before.