Black Tusk Trail

Black Tusk Trail is a 25.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Squamish-Lillooet, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from July until October.

25.1 km
1,788 m

What a beautiful trek ! Steep all the long way with some relaxing meters flat.
The view at the top is amazing !
I made it running and walking in 3h30.
Good memories

AMAZING.

Awesome and tiring hike, a little easier as a day trip while camping at garibaldi lake. Go early as parking is insane on the weekend. Class 3 scramble to the false summit on loose rock so be careful. Class 5 to the actual summit and looks sketchy.

Just did this hike yesterday ! The view was worth it after scrambling up the rocks. Bring a helmet if your going to attempt to do some rock climbing on the tusk . Ton of loose rocks falling down . The hike was beautiful . Bring bug spray that will keep the horse flies away ! Tons of bugs , everyone doing the hike was complaining . Must go down to garabaldi lake after .

Amazing hike with gorgeous views! We went back down by garibaldi lake and it’s was well worth the extra 2km

July 26th. Freaking awesome. Made it up the chute to the top! 360 pano. Looks unreal. Know the basics of how to climb before you attempt. Love the wild flowers once you’re in the meadows. This is probably one of the best hikes I have ever done.

Amazing views, but definitely a hard few kilometres up to get to the views. If you like rock climbing you can get to the top of the Tusk by climbing up a little rock chimney to sit above the clouds. There are no ropes so you take your own chances with that climb. Did it this weekend (end of June) and there is still snow up there so bring extra socks.

If you had one day to live on this earth and had the opportunity to do one hike, this would be it. The meadows, black tusk, the lake, the mountain views - amazing. This park is an alpine paradise. The first portion of the lake trail was closed, so we ended up doing the detour with a total 16-17 miles. Took us 8.5 hours, so doable in a day, but it’s so hard to leave! A note on black tusk: if you do the chimney, test every hold and every foot before you trust your life on it. We did the chimney after watching bits of the approach trail flake off into the deep gully. Clearly the volcanic layers are peeling away, so when we topped out of the chimney only to see another 50 yards of scree between us and the summit, we were a bit dismayed. Chimney didn’t bother me, but trying to walk up an incline on marbles in an attempt to summit a 4th class, unstable rock feature seemed silly, so we backed down.

Awesome trail, stunning views. I went up and back in 8h, including 30min on the mountain.
Make sure you bring bug repellent, a bunch of snacks and it’s windy up there so a light jacket is a plus.

The view is gorgeous, during the hike and also at Black Tusk viewpoint.

Incredible hike!! To make it easier camp at either Taylor meadows or garibaldi lake. Don’t forget the mosquito spray!!

Absolutely stunning views. The hike to the base of Black Tusk was surprisingly quick..3 hours.. but the scramble up looked like it would add another hour. Very sparse snow at the base. Beautifully maintained trail with mild weather. The only negative was the mosquitoes. Do not forget your bug spray or you will come back riddled with bites.

My most favourite trail in 10 years of hiking! Beautiful views, varied terrain and great weather, made it a spectacular day.

One of the finest hikes in North America with glacier encrusted peaks surrounding Garibaldi Lake with volcanic remnants crowned with The Black Tusk.

Great hike! Did the entire trip to the summit from the parking lot and back in 12 hours. Trails are super smooth for at least 10 km up and then the ascent gets back to rock and snow like you'd expect. I'd really recommend a helmet if you plan on actually going to the summit (after the saddle) since there are tons of loose rocks all the way up. To get up to the summit you want to climb the second chimney which is a lot narrower than the first that you'll come across. Check every hold on your way up! Contrary to what we were told, the view from the summit is totally worth the scramble because when you're sitting at the saddle you'll know there's something better up there. Just don't die!

Amazing views, still some snow which makes the slide back down hill great fun.

Hello all, wondering if anyone can give me some insight on the weather forecast for this hike on Monday. Looks like it’s gonna rain so I’m thinking it’ll be wet, and grey, and nothing to see once at the top. Can anyone tell me if I’m right? Am I reading the forecast correctly? Or what are you thoughts and recommendations for hiking this on Monday?

We are also planning on camping at garibaldi lake which we have reservations for.

Thanks for your help and we look forward to hearing from anyone.

Wes and Isabelle

Did this hike the same day as Panorama Ridge from Garibaldi Lake Campground with a full pack! Ended up being hiking buddies with a couple and we decided to do it while on our way back from Panorama Ridge and just turned at the junction for Black Tusk (3km as listed on junction post). Took us 1.5 hours to the top. All uphill and intense workout. Trail was hard to find as few people had done it so there weren't many footprints to follow but I thankfully I had an offline map to guide us. Snow covered of course. As you go higher in elevation, snowshoes could be helpful but I did it in boots/wool socks and the couple had hiking boots and it was certainly manageable. Lovely views of the valley, Garibaldi Lake from afar, and Panorama Ridge. Didn't go up the chimney, but went up another steep area that had great views. A hiking pole is definitely useful just for stability/security when going up some of the steep parts (the couple let me one!). We hiked back to Rubble Creek Lot in just under 4 hours and we slid down some parts of the mountain for fun!

Favourite hike in BC. Definitely worth going up the chimney to the top.

Monday, August 28, 2017

I love this trail; I was beside myself up and down it. Through meadows full of alpine mountain flowers, surrounded by snowy mountains, you wind along a fairly easy path until you finally get to the base of Black Tusk. A sign marks the "End of maintained trail", and the last couple of hundred meters is a steep and slogging scree climb. I didn't go up the chimney but the view from the base of the Tusk was gorgeous at sunset.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Very tough climb and I get a bit uneasy on the top, but definitely worth it. Not for the faint of heart, though.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Amazing views all along the trail and even more spectacular from the top! Not for those phobic of heights. Chimney climb at summit is vertical climb up rock face--careful to not climb too closely behind another person--lots of falling rocks. Well worth the views! Hiking poles helped a lot--recommend to take.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Must go back!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

An absolute Gem of a Hike! the trail is very easy to hike all the way up to the Black Tusk itself. The Trail is wide, smooth, and very well marked. We slept overnight at Taylor Meadows, after we made the summit. There was quite a bit of snow near the top. wish i had micro spikes for some sections. Bring a climbing helmet if you plan to climb the final chimney to the true summit. Like i said before the whole trail is easy in terrain except for the last climb to the summit.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Last 1000 meters show how much you want get to the top

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Hard hiking but one of the best view in BC !

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Spectacular. Also some scrambling near the top. Glaciers, extinct volcanoes and glacial lakes as far as you can see.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Best mountain I've climbed. Absolutely breathtaking!

Not for the faint of heart!!

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Amazing hike! Unbelievable scenery! We hiked out and back in a day.

Monday, August 03, 2015

07/31/2015 - This hike is surreal. We camped at Garibaldi Lake for two nights and made the climb up to Black Tusk the second day. It is 9km (not miles) to the lake from the parking lot. The trail is very well maintained with few obstacles. It took us under four hours to reach the lake and 2.5 hrs to return. The hike from the lake to the tusk took another couple of hours. Doing all of that in one day would be strenuous on most people. The hike to the tusk is on basalt scree once you reach the shoulder. The trail heads west at that point to the lower portion of the tusk where a crack in the rock allows you to scramble your way to the top. This is doable of course, but not for everyone. It's certainly dangerous. The rewards are great if you can reach the top.

More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com