Berg Lake Trail

Berg Lake Trail is a 18.8 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Fraser-Fort George, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

18.8 km
1052 m
Point to Point

rock climbing

bridge out

23km trail 1 way, takes roughly 7 hours to berg lake. Along the way you will past through Kinney lake, white horn and the valley of a thousand falls, emperor falls. On the trail you will see 16 glaciers. One of the top trails in Canada.

I loved the variety of terrain. We did the hike on October 6, 2017. We lucked out with clear sunny skies and unusually warm temperatures. (18C) Too much to go in and out in one day in the fall. (The days are too short) I would defiantly do it again.

We helihiked this trail for our honeymoon. Robson's Helimagic took us to the top and we hiked down the same day. It was rainy and exhausting, but it was absolutely stunning and worth it, even for two unseasoned, untrained hikers like ourselves! I would absolutely do this again.

Did this trail over 4 days and 3 nights with my wife and two older children mid September. We happened to have gorgeous clear skies which made hiking much more enjoyable, but the clear nights meant that Everyone wanted to stay in their sleeping bags! Evening meals required everyone being fully dressed with their toques on as we didn't do this the first night and it took too long to rewarm. We survived as a family, but I lost 1.4kg as we had to pack in (and out) all food, including stove and pots and water filtration system (although I don't know how the water would be a problem as it comes from Berg Lake and the surrounding glaciers). This was the first time my 15 year old daughter and I were able to taste an actual iceberg. The views were spectacular and we will go back again!All campsites require reservations, and I don't know why some people didn't show up as it was fully booked and the weather could not have been better, such clear views of the top of Mt. Robson are very infrequent!

A month ago my wife an I hiked Berg lake trail in one day. We started around 8.30AM and got back to the parking lot past 10PM. We loved the hike up but hated most of the way down because for the last 10-15 KM we were so dead. The 42-44 km hike that we did was amazing and by far the best hike we ever did. There is an incredibly diversity of landscapes and terrains in one single hike, it felt like we were doing multiple hikes in one. Couldn't recommend this enough.
Enjoy the Berg lake trail hike in about 2 minutes.

T FTFF X for the first ffrrrydd

Our first hike in Canada and wow, think we started with the best!!! Stunning scenery everywhere you look; from huge tumbling waterfalls to the sheer scale of the Berg Glacier crashing into Berg Lake. We camped at Berg Lake then hiked back the following day via Robson Pass, so 21km day 1, then 29km day 2. Can't recommend highly enough.

Amazing biological and geological diversity, stunning lakes, and several incredible waterfalls. I've hiked in Switzerland and New Zealand, but this one beats any other hike I've done.

This trail was amazing ! Did it from may 27-30 and we had warm hot weather and clear skies. 10/10 would do it again. We were lucky and we're 1 day before registration so also did not have to pay for overnight camping. We stayed at whitehorn , berg lake , and Kinney lake on the way back

This whole hike is incredible. It is ever changing and beautiful at every turn. If there is ever a hard section it comes with a huge reward. Likely to meet fantastic people along the way too. This is a hike everyone should experience once in thier lives. Don't let the difficulty rating deter you, people of all ages on this trail.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Amazing scenery!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great backpacking trail. Did a girls trip the first weekend of October! Can't wait to go back again.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Lots of great amenities for the first time multi-day hiker. A rugged but well maintained trail that makes this a good choice for anyone just starting to get serious about spending a few nights in the outdoors. The scenery is non-stop breathtaking.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Berg Lake camp is the place to stay. Awesome and challenging trail. Never ending beautiful scenery.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Beautiful backpacking trail with lakes, valleys, streams and water falls and glaciers.

Monday, May 23, 2016

It was beautiful and clear on the 2 day hike to Burg Lake. Rainy, on the way back on the third day, but lovely again as we walked out on day 4.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Amazing! The switch backs are a challenge but the whole thing is so worth it! If you do it in one day it will take you around 12 hours or so!

Monday, March 28, 2016

Amazing! One of my favourite places of all time. Such beautiful glaciers, waterfalls, snow capped peaks, crystal clear lakes etc.

Monday, November 02, 2015

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I have done this twice. Go all the way up to Snowbird Pass. Just love it.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Incredible waterfalls, beautiful lakes with mountainous backdrops, and plenty of glaciers. I hiked this trail in July 15... The ONLY downside was the large number of mosquitoes and flies. Snowbird Pass and Tobogan Falls are worth the day hikes as well.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

I backpacked this in July'14' for four days and had awesome clear skies for all four days. The amazing amount of variety along the trail is stunning and will keep you mesmerized the whole way. If you are an avid hiker, this is a top five anywhere in the world. I camped at Berg and Rearguard though this year (YES, I'm going back), I think I'll take a site near the flowing river at Emperor Falls for a incoming night.
Add Snowbird Pass, at least up to the Robson Glacier and Mumm Basin if you have more time BUT do GO..! What a road trip (fifteen hours for me from WA State-USA.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Its 6.5KM to the first campsite Kinney Lake, an easy hike along the Robson river with huge trees. Kinney lake is nice. 4km more and your at whitehorn, theres a bit of a climb from kinney but nothing difficult. Here the views of waterfalls is really awesome. Get ready for a climb cause the next 5km till you get to Emperor Falls campground is tuff you'll climb 500m over 4km of it. Emperor Falls its self is about 1km before the campground watch for the side trail on the right, Emperor falls is huge! now leaving Emperor Falls campsite your at the 16km mark you have an easy 3km to Marmot campground. Marmot is a nice campground to bask in the sun with views of Berg Lake Glacier and is on the edge of berg lake. 2 more km and your at Berg Lake campground an easy hike and the largest campground with a chalet to hang out in (great for rainy days, but no overnight use). then an easy 1km or so till Rearguard, nice views of the backside of Mt Robson. Another 1km and you hit Robson Pass this is a great campsite to base other hikes out of Snowbird Pass, Mums Basin, Toboggan Falls. All the Berg Lake Trail campsites have something to offer you cant go wrong anywhere on this trail. A must do hike.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

STUNNING hike and well worth the 23km trek. Only thing I would have done differently is bring my hiking poles. Berg Lake/Mount Robson is overwhelmingly gorgeous. My partner and I spent a few days camping at Berg Lake and did a few day hikes nearby. We did not want to leave. A+++

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My partner and I did this trail, it was my first time and her second. It was mind blowing awesome for both of us. With the changes of terrain, you get to experience so much on this trail. I would highly recommend it. We spent 5 days total, which is longer than most people, but I really enjoyed be able to relax and appreciate the mountain.
Day 1: Hike to Kinney Lake
Day 2: Kinney to Berg
Day 3: Day hikes around Berk Lake
Day 4: Hike down to Kinney
Day 5: Hike out

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thought I would review sooner but have been busy and hoped to redo the trip as we did not make it to the top. Unfortunately the weekend we went they also had a marathon, so we continually had to step aside for the runners which really slowed us down. We reached the top of white falls, then turned back to white horn campground and the valley of a 1000 falls. This section we stopped at is really steep, uncovered and trail is very narrow. Doing it in 30 degree sun was a killer. And with injuries already in our party the best thing to do was head back down to campground.

The trail itself is mesmorizing, following robson river and going through rain forest for first 4 km until you reach the start of Kinney lake. This was just a gradual climb and most people just stop here. We then continued back into the forest and circled to the back of Kinney lake. Aprox 4 more km's. there is a campground here and is perfect trip to take the little ones. I did dip my head into the glacier fed lake, it was cold but oh so refreshing. From here there are 2 paths, easier is following the rock bed of the lake depending if flooded over, but its flat for a few km, the other is up and down until u get to the clearing. Crossing clearing there were a few man made bridges until u reach the next mountain, where a somewhat steep climb awaits through another rain forest. Colors, moss, leaves the size of a basketball await. There are some great views back to Kinney lake from here throughout the elevation. Once through the forest you arrive at whitehorn campground and the valley of a thousand falls. Surrounded by mountains with glaciers breaking every couple of hours. Waterfalls running down everywhere. On 1 part of the mountain alone we had 8 full waterfalls. Breathtaking. I recommend stopping here for rest of the day. Many set their tents up here and carried as little as possible the rest of the way as I said before the next part is very steep. The next part of the trail you come up to the base of white falls, from here the steep incline occurs. We ascended to the 4th switchback and turned back, it was just to hot to do at 3 in the afternoon and new we had 4 more hours to go. Was told there was close to 20 switch backs in this area

All in all it was a great trip, we are planning it again next year with more people and will make it to the top adding in a extra day. We can't wait

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Friends and I are doing this trail weekend of sept 8. 2012. Lots of photos and review then