BCMC Trail is a 4.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Vancouver District, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

4.5 km
788 m

This trail is similar to the Grouse Grind but not as packed. A good choice for hikers who enjoy hiking for the solitude as well as the challenge. Trail runs somewhat parallel to the grind.

Took aprox 2 hours with my 6 year old son. Loved it. Its challenging enough and definitely more interesting than the grouse grind, which is mostly stairs and more crowded. I found it to be very well marked. It is not a hike for novice hikers though or small kids who are not used to hiking. Overall had a great experience and will be doing again with running on way down next time!

I hate this trail with the fire of a thousand suns. The gondola was closed for seasonal work so I went up Grouse and hiked back down BCMC. It is 2 hours of poor trail marking, roots, rocks, and mud. I am giving it 2 stars as perhaps going up it is less mind-numbing.

Really challenging but worth it. Take water with you and good hiking shoes.

I found it more challenging than the grouse grind even though it’s not as steep. There are more rocks and roots that require balance as compared to the grouse grind with mostly stairs. Parts of the BCMC trail are fairly worn out. Much less crowded than the Grind and more enjoyable .

Even though it was misty/rainy the entire trek up, I think the mist made it quite beautiful.
I knew it was going to be a tough go, as I'd read lots of reviews on it.
I am a novice hiker, and while it wasn't a recommended hike for someone like me, I decided to try it anyways. Time wise, I looked at the "average" and estimated double for me. Looking at the elevation gain and distance, I knew I'd need more time, but I was bound and determined to do it. Had I not gotten a little lost near the top and wasted time looking around, I would have been under what I estimated, but as it turned out I was a bit over. For my first kick at it, it wasnt too bad.
I'll be making it an annual hike - will go out to Vancouver and will be a bit more prepared, physically, each time.

Fantastic trail. Not recommended for novices runners/hikers.

Hiked down after coming up the Grind. It is so beautiful and challenging in a fun way, requiring a level of concentration. It’s much less crowded than the Grind. Looking forward to going up another time!

My favourite solo hike

Hard hike. Short. Fun going up but no great scenery reward from that grind upwards.

Great hike. very challenging but a great reward at the top.

I really enjoyed this trail. So much nicer than the Grind. Same difficulty but less steps and more scrambling. It took me about 10 min longer than Grouse Grind took me last year. There’s less traffic, more choices and my short legs were happier because I could take smaller steps (just more of them). I will definitely be choosing this trail to the top of Grouse Mountain again.

Went down after going up the grind. Hard on the joints but well worth it.

Excellent, completed in early evening wasn’t busy and not as hot as during day

I loved this trail. If u are looking for a challenging hike and peaceful. This is good for you!

completed this twice in a day. great hike

A good hike for fitness and enjoying the fauna. Not a leisurely stroll for sure! Near the top it became misty and the forest took on an enchanted fairytale look

Way nicer then Grouse Grind!!!! Definitely challenging but as it is way calmer and kept more natural it is a very pretty trail and nice experience

Grouse Grind Trail was closed for maintenance so we did the BCMC instead. Great hike. My mum and I hiked up in about 2 hours and then caught the gondola down for $15 each. Definitely recommend this hike, great views at the top and there heaps to see at the top like the Grizzly Enclosure and a bird show. Do not eat at the restaurant, not the greatest!

Me and my 61 year old mom did this today and for me it was not hard at all but she was very tired :) we did it very slowly, 4 hours from parking to top grouse, lots of breaks but this was quite a steep trail. We hiked with runner shoes, and no warm clothing, but it was a summer day, the forest keeps you cool.
for families or easier option I recommend Cleveland dam and capilano river.
over all great hike for forest lovers and the view from the top also amazing.
Sunday is crowded but not as the grind trail on the other side of the creek in grouse mountain.

This is a great hike to do if you're training for an extended trek like the TMB or other long distance adventures.

Solid cardio!!

I hiked this trail today and had a great time! I’m a moderate hiker and I found this to be the most difficult trail I’ve ever done, because of the steepness + elevation. I’ve done much longer hikes, but this was way more of a workout for me!! That being said, I never felt like giving up and enjoyed every step of the way. Just take your time :)

It took me just under an hour and a half, with multiple 15 second breaks. I was passed by a lot of people.

The trail is very well-marked. Recommend it to those who want to enjoy the fun Grouse activities at the top knowing they earned them ;-)

Love this trail. Hike it all year round. A great workout and stunning views at the top. Beautiful all the way up, as challenging as the grind but way nicer and less people.

I did this today. Actually I went there for the Grouse Grind. But it was closed for maintenance. So did this one instead. Since I was doing it for the first time, I stayed with a bunch of folks who had done this earlier. The trail was challenging but the feeling of having completed it made it worth it.

What a great Hike. Hard but we'll worth it.

This was a very difficult hike because of the unyielding elevation gain for 80% of the hike. The Grouse Grind trail was closed when we hiked BCMC, so I suspect BCMC was a bit more crowded than typical (and a bit more eroded). Only attempt this trail if you're in for a workout and do not expect amazing views until you get to the top. At the end of May, expect snow cover at the top of the trail.

An intense hike. I knew it was a lot of elevation gain over a short distance going in, but I still wasn’t fully prepared for how steep the first 2/3 of the trail is. It wasn’t very scenic, but it was a good workout.

It was much busier than other reviews have indicated because the Grind is closed for maintenance for the next 3-4 weeks.

Just did the trail today - with numerous 15-30 second breaks and a fairly slow but steady pace, it took me an hour up from the entrance area.

The surrounding forest is very beautiful, but this definitely isn't a scenic hike. The trail is very well marked but on the rougher side with plenty of exposed roots and rocks. It's basically all uphill for the majority of the trail.

Things do level off a bit once you're about 1km away from the peak, but you probably won't notice as you'll still be exhausted from the hike up to this point. Worth checking out if you're wanting a strenuous cardio workout in a calmer and more natural setting

A good alternative to Grouse Grind.

Very steep and somewhat boring. Still better than the Grouse Grind -- less people and less stairs, more natural terrain. Walking on snowpack for the last .5k or so, otherwise clear.