BCMC Trail

BCMC Trail is a 4.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Vancouver District, British Columbia, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

4.5 km
788 m

This trail is similar to the grouse grind but not as packed. A good choice for hikers who enjoy hiking for the solitude as well as the challenge. Trail runs somewhat parallel to the grind.

Way nicer then Grouse Grind!!!! Definitely challenging but as it is way calmer and kept more natural it is a very pretty trail and nice experience

Grouse Grind Trail was closed for maintenance so we did the BCMC instead. Great hike. My mum and I hiked up in about 2 hours and then caught the gondola down for $15 each. Definitely recommend this hike, great views at the top and there heaps to see at the top like the Grizzly Enclosure and a bird show. Do not eat at the restaurant, not the greatest!

Me and my 61 year old mom did this today and for me it was not hard at all but she was very tired :) we did it very slowly, 4 hours from parking to top grouse, lots of breaks but this was quite a steep trail. We hiked with runner shoes, and no warm clothing, but it was a summer day, the forest keeps you cool.
for families or easier option I recommend Cleveland dam and capilano river.
over all great hike for forest lovers and the view from the top also amazing.
Sunday is crowded but not as the grind trail on the other side of the creek in grouse mountain.

This is a great hike to do if you're training for an extended trek like the TMB or other long distance adventures.

Solid cardio!!

I hiked this trail today and had a great time! I’m a moderate hiker and I found this to be the most difficult trail I’ve ever done, because of the steepness + elevation. I’ve done much longer hikes, but this was way more of a workout for me!! That being said, I never felt like giving up and enjoyed every step of the way. Just take your time :)

It took me just under an hour and a half, with multiple 15 second breaks. I was passed by a lot of people.

The trail is very well-marked. Recommend it to those who want to enjoy the fun Grouse activities at the top knowing they earned them ;-)

Love this trail. Hike it all year round. A great workout and stunning views at the top. Beautiful all the way up, as challenging as the grind but way nicer and less people.

I did this today. Actually I went there for the Grouse Grind. But it was closed for maintenance. So did this one instead. Since I was doing it for the first time, I stayed with a bunch of folks who had done this earlier. The trail was challenging but the feeling of having completed it made it worth it.

What a great Hike. Hard but we'll worth it.

This was a very difficult hike because of the unyielding elevation gain for 80% of the hike. The Grouse Grind trail was closed when we hiked BCMC, so I suspect BCMC was a bit more crowded than typical (and a bit more eroded). Only attempt this trail if you're in for a workout and do not expect amazing views until you get to the top. At the end of May, expect snow cover at the top of the trail.

An intense hike. I knew it was a lot of elevation gain over a short distance going in, but I still wasn’t fully prepared for how steep the first 2/3 of the trail is. It wasn’t very scenic, but it was a good workout.

It was much busier than other reviews have indicated because the Grind is closed for maintenance for the next 3-4 weeks.

Just did the trail today - with numerous 15-30 second breaks and a fairly slow but steady pace, it took me an hour up from the entrance area.

The surrounding forest is very beautiful, but this definitely isn't a scenic hike. The trail is very well marked but on the rougher side with plenty of exposed roots and rocks. It's basically all uphill for the majority of the trail.

Things do level off a bit once you're about 1km away from the peak, but you probably won't notice as you'll still be exhausted from the hike up to this point. Worth checking out if you're wanting a strenuous cardio workout in a calmer and more natural setting

A good alternative to Grouse Grind.

Very steep and somewhat boring. Still better than the Grouse Grind -- less people and less stairs, more natural terrain. Walking on snowpack for the last .5k or so, otherwise clear.

challenging..proper footwear is a must in snow..well worth the climb

A workout. That's all.

Easy transit access. The trail isn't exactly in amazing shape compared to it's neighbour, the Grouse. However it's easier in terms of steepness. Going down it is probably much more difficult (but not as tiring) It brings you to the same top as the Grouse so you have access to all the stores, events, restaurants etc. Decent trail at the end of the day, especially if you don't like loud busy trails and prefer to just enjoy nature!

Great alternative to the Grind. Don't tell anyone. It is about 20 minutes longer then the Grind; when you think you are at the top, there is still more to walk. The first half if the most intense and it levels out! !

Followed this trail up instead of doing The Grind. Pretty intense. You have to focus on where you're putting your feet a lot. Not really much of a view until you're actually at the top.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

to busy at the top but other than that it's awesome. difficult as cardio. the trail is pretty straightforward. well marked.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Amazing alternative to the grind, which can be too overcrowded. Don't do it if you don't like a challenge. Grab some food when you get up there!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

This is a very steep trail only those who have hiked quite a bit to do this. It's not for beginners

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great alternative to the grind

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Great workout throughout the year! Rewarding view at the top too.

Monday, April 24, 2017

A great low traffic alternative to the grouse grind.

Sunday, July 17, 2016