Baden Powell Trail: Deep Cove to Lynn Canyon Park

Baden Powell Trail: Deep Cove to Lynn Canyon Park is a 12.6 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.6 km Elevation Gain: 665 m Route Type: Point to Point

PLEASE NOTE PORTIONS OF THIS TRAIL MAY BE CLOSED. Following several months of construction along the trail, most of the trail is reported to be open; however, there may still be portions closed for the time being. Waterfront parks, rocky viewpoints, river canyons, a suspension bridge - this point-to-point hike covers the best of the North Shore over a moderate route and a testing elevation gain. This leg is the easternmost section of the Baden Powell Trail, a 30 mile route that crosses the North Shore Mountains all the way to Horseshoe Bay, West Vancouver. There is no one map of the entire route. Portions of the trail are shown on maps for Mount Seymour Provincial Park, Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve, and Lynn Canyon Park. With so many intersecting trails, it can be easy to take a wrong turn. Try to keep Baden Powell fleur-de-lis trail markers in sight at all times. Hiking poles may be useful on this hike's steep, rocky descent, positioned about halfway through the route.

Great hike. I did it yesterday. The first section is the Quarry Rock trail. Then it goes up and towards west. Conditions were great. I lost the trail close to the Mushroom trail but cut thru the bike trails back to Baden Powell. The trail is long but not hard. Lynn Canyon at the end was amazing as always. It took me 3.5hours.

I did this hike today . Started at Lynn Valley and took me 3 hrs 18 minutes . It is an easy/moderate hike and did not see many people on the trail until I got to quarry rock.

Great trail. I did it in reverse, starting at Lynn Canyon. Seemed like a good way to do it, mostly downhill on the last 5 km or so, and there’s beer in Deep Cove ;) Took me a little over 3 hours with some jogging spurts. It’s busy near the Lynn Suspension bridge and also around Quarry Rock but everything in between was pretty much all mine on a weekday afternoon.

Did this hike today in 4hr incl. a stop at Quarry Rock and lunch break. It’s a nice well maintained trail, not too many viewpoints in between though. We almost missed the left turn after ~7k so make sure to read the signs or check the app. If you come from Vancouver it’s easily accessible by transit. There are several busses that take you to the trailhead in Deep Cove. At the end of the trail you’ll walk 20-30 min. from the Lynn Valley suspension bridge to the stop. The bus 210 takes you back downtown but make sure to stop at “The end of the line” café for some treats :)!

Nice hike took me 4 hours and I'm not used to hiking. Really busy at the start of the trail to quarry rock and narrow. Nice view from quarry rock 2km in to this hike. If you pass the view point where everyone is there is another rock with just as nice view 1 minute up further with less than half the people taking pictures. Some steep parts at the start and end of this trail. Trail is marked really well. I used this map to follow our route and I recommend doing so cause you won't get lost.

Easy trail for the most part minus some steep sections around the intersection with the power lines trail. This was also where I lost the trail for a few minutes—it’s easy to wander off if you’re not looking out for the trail markers. Not my favorite start to a hike especially during a sunny weekend when everyone and their mother is trying to climb up to get that Instagram shot on quarry rock. Rest of the trail was nice though! Took about 3hrs total to get from deep cove to Lynn valley suspension bridge.

We started trekking from Deep Cove at exactly 0900 hours and finished at the Lynn Valley Nature Centre at 1639 hours (total of 7hrs, 39 mins.) We were on our feet for approximatley 6 hours and 30 mins. We were glad we started from Deep Cove heading west because all the treacherous terrain were at the beginning and towards the start of the descent (approx. 500 m after the Severed Dick trail--trail for mountain biking mostly. Terrible name by the way along with The Cunt Buster, also a mtn biking trail.) Who can I write to ask about changing these names?) Anyway, expect the descent to be like an obstacle course and not a trail. Huge boulders, loose rocks, muddy parts, steep descent in some parts, large roots over rocks...it was really hard on my knees. Thank goodness I brought my poles!) Fast forward to when you cross the street, Hyannis Drive because up to this point, the Baden Powell trail had been well marked with the "BP fleur de lis" emblem (orange coloured) nailed high on the trees. About 1 km after crossing Hyannis Dr., we stopped at a signpost indicating Fisherman's Trail going towards Seymour River Suspension Bridge. Nowhere on the signpost was the BP fleur de lis indicated; no arrows pointing to the BP trail. After hiking almost 5 hrs at this point, we were very disappointed. We asked two different persons where to find the BP trail, and they directed us to where we just came from. So we said that we were wanting to finish our hike at the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge. Both directed us to follow the Fisherman's trail. Although we eventually made it to our destination, we added another 2 kms to our hike. At the end, I was proud of myself for completing my first challenging hike with no injuries nor a rescue. But I was so fatigued (took Advil at this point) and disappointed that I didn't reach the end point via BP. It woud've been extra special to say that I completed the Deep Cove to Lynn Valley via Baden Powell trail end to end. Would I do this trail again? Probably not because my goal is to finish hiking the BP trail to Horseshoe Bay. Next week, we will do Lynn Valley to Grouse Mtn via BP trail. Thanks for reading!

This trail was relatively easy compared to what I expected. I only encountered one part (about 4.5-5kms in) where I felt winded from the steep incline. I also relied on the App's map a lot as there are many splinter trails off Baden Powell that can be misguiding. Starting early was a great decision since many tourist crowd both ends of the trail.

great hike. We did it in less than 5 hours.

Finished in 4 hours. Quite well marked.

I'm a pretty beginner hiker and did this point-to-point trail in 3.5hrs. The elevation is mixed throughout so you get a change between climb, decline and flat. There are some cardio-demanding stretches but overall, pretty manageable. The trail was a bit busy (Saturday) at the beginning from Deep Cove to Quarry Rock and again at the suspension bridge to cafe but inbetween was very quiet. Easy bus route from Lynn Canyon side back to the Deep Cove parking lot.

The trail starts off with a nice view of Deep Cove from Quarry Rock. A lot of stairs to get there but it’s a short 2.4km. After that, you keep going up for more 5,6 kms in a well-marked trail. Once you start going down, there’s an intersection with Bridge Path (I think that’s the name) that is very confusing, be careful there. Then it’s just going down. However, you easily forget that you need to keep on Baden Powell trail and do a hard right turn towards Twin Falls. I forgot that and went straight down adding more 3kms — painful. Wanted to get a shortcut, crossed the Twin Falls to find out that the trail to the Ecology Centre was closed! Had to come back and head to the Suspension Bridge.

Rough trail with steep sections. Today was pretty muddy. Quite, with a few bikers and off leash dogs.

We hiked from Deep Cove to Riverside Drive along the Baden Powell trail. It was exactly 10 km and took three hours and 20 minutes, including a snack stop at Quarry Rock to soak in the view. There were still some icy/snowy patches but microspikes weren’t necessary. There’s one 15-20 minute downhill section that tests the knees. Great hike for dog walkers. We left a car at Riverside Drive and started the hike in Deep Cove. Go early to get a parking spot! Great cardio workout.

very icy in patches. otherwise very good! great view near deep cove.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Completed Saturday 13 October 2018. Note: currently the track is closed between Lillooet Rd and Riverside drive due to bridge and staircase construction, apparently until November. There is no posted detour from the closure. To get around the closed section we walked down river to the road bridge by Canadian Superstore on Mt Seymour Parkway then took a 214 up to Hyannis Drive or you could walk 40mins up. This detour added around an hour for what should have been a 10 minute section of track. In total including the detour we took around 5 hours with a few breaks and lunch on trail. Aside from the detour the trail is in good condition, at some intersections you need to stop and review the signage or look out for the next marker but fairly easy to follow. I'll echo what others have said in their reviews, we walked from Lynn Canyon to Deep Cove, the two main views are at either end with Lynn suspension bridge and Quarry rock. However even without the views during the walk it's a nice forest walk which was relatively quiet only passing a few others once we had left Lynn and rejoined the crowds at Quarry rock. Waking this way meant we could have a cold beer and a donut upon reaching deep cove. We did this entirely via transit, very easy. Take a 210 from downtown Vancouver to Phibbs exchange, then a 227 to Lynn Canyon Park entrance at the Ecology centre. Coming back it's a 211 or 212 to Phibbs exchange from Deep Cove then the 210 back to Vancouver.

Tue Sep 25 2018

We tried to hike this trail yesterday but had to turn back because of trail modifications and repairs. I would have thought this application would have included an advisory of these mods rather than leaving it up to the hiker to learn “en route” that two crucial parts of the trail were closed.

Tue Sep 18 2018

amazing trail!

Tue Jun 26 2018

I went mid week and it was quiet and peaceful. A good length if you’re wanting a nice day hike close to Vancouver. Easy to access via public transit. No great views, until the very end when you reach Quarry Rock in Deep Cove.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Awesome

Sun May 27 2018

Great day! The hike wasn’t particularly hard but a day well spent.

Fri May 18 2018

Very busy but super fun! There are a lot of stairs but alongside the stairs sun small paths full of tree roots and rocks that I like to use instead of steps :) Tip: THERES a beautiful village under the mountain, which is amazing for a lunch after a hike... YUM!

Mon Feb 19 2018

Snowy, slushy, hail-riddled day hiking this trail. Totally got lost around Powerline Trail and a few other spots. Really a very nice trail, but best done when there isn't snow as some of the hike can be quite treacherous.

Tue Sep 26 2017

Great trail and the view from the lookout is super. Only did to the lookout and back, and was still a moderate challenge with plenty of uphill and stairs.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Fun intermediate hiking. Good for beginners but have the app as it's relatively easy to get lost and end up on other trails