Alberni Valley Lookout Trail is a 3.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alberni-Clayoquot F, British Columbia, Canada that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 km Elevation Gain: 130 m Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

cave

Been wanting to do this hike for awhile. Worth the trek up. once you get to the tracks there are a couple ways to get to the top. Beautiful views from up there

The trail recorded on the app doesn’t really make sense as we went up the lookout trail and our map didn’t start tracking till we came back down

I wouldn’t consider this moderate, more easy if anything :) I do find this app annoying at times cause I’ll be following the trail exactly and then it says I’m off track and went the wrong way.. other then that it’s a good short walk

Great hike. About an hour and a half round trip. Great views on a beautiful day!

Good brisk climb up to a spectacular view of the valley.and it didn’t hurt that the sun was in full force on this spring day!! The route to the left at the railway tracks is more of an intense workout and the route to the right (which we came back down) is wide and an easier incline (watch out for ATVs and bikes). Windy at the top with a few icy puddles on the route down!

ohv/off road driving

Fun 4x4 trail, not too much mud, lots of rocks

Walked the road up in January. Easy to walk. Rocky and uneven in places but steady incline. Foggy at the top which is typical for the Valley this time of year. Good fitness building hike. Going to take the trail when I get stronger.

Great views at the summit! Though, it's a pretty rocky walk up with rutted-out areas from constant ATV and dirt bike use. Beautiful walk other than the sound and smell of gas engines every once in a while.

nice off leash spot to hike for my pup and myself good view at the top

A nice hike up an old "logging" type road. Some good cardio and anaerobic exercise. Very cool view at the top of the Alberni Valley. Last time here was some 48 years ago so was cool with that. Only drawback was the litter that some inconsiderate people left.

Nice shady walk on a hot day. Bring lots of water!

Sun Apr 28 2019

this trail starts just above Coombs Country Candy. add an extra 1.5 each way. for a hard trail, got left when you get to the railroad tracks. for a moderate trail go right and follow the wide path up to the lookout.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Love this trail! I always get a good workout in doing it :)

Tue Dec 04 2018

Nice little jaunt up. Drove up almost to the tracks in my outback but the road got a bit too bumpy for my low vehicle. Took the road up and the trail down. No visibility as the clouds were moving in. But nice area. Next time I’ll park at the very bottom and make for a longer run.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Nice short hike with great views at the top. Took the path from the bottom car park through the newly planted raspberry bushes and found the hidden track by diverting left just before the train track and crossing 40 meters further up. Would recommended if your looking for a nice afternoon walk with a great result at the end.

Wed Jun 06 2018

Can anyone tell me how to get up to the lookout? would like to take a look!

Thu Oct 05 2017

It was a decent Hike, and you can actually do it in a loop if you know your way down from the lookout point,there is a small hidden trail that leaves from the left of the viewing point down towards the train tracks. There are no signs on the trail at all, we were afraid we were lost as this was our first visit. We recommend you to download a map before going even though the trail is pretty short.

Sat Aug 26 2017

A nice, shaded walk up on a hot day followed by spectacular views of the valley at the top. Couldn't park quite at the start of the trail - the road gets a little rough but that only added 1.5 km or so onto the walk. Lots of nature - squirrels, snakes, woodpeckers and turkey vultures. Quite a bit of motorised traffic I wouldn't personally like to take young kids up there with bikes and trucks flying by. The top has been slightly ruined by broken glass (everywhere) and several burnt out fires but you can dip off to the right when you reach the summit and settle down in a bit which is less spoiled! Overall a nice hike, worth the climb!

Tue Jul 25 2017

The result of this hike is a stunning view of the Alberni valley. The first 20-30 minutes of steep hill hiking is tough if you're out of shape.

ohv/off road driving
Thu Aug 18 2016

Superb view at the top. Decent trail. High clearance 4x4 required in some places