Addington Lookout and High Knoll via Lodge, Fern and Quarry Trail

easy(264)
Minnekhada Regional Park

Addington Lookout and High Knoll via Lodge, Fern and Quarry Trail is a 6.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 km Elevation Gain: 265 m Route Type: Loop

This trail offers amazing views and it's forest, marsh and rocky outcrops make this regional park a gem to explore any time of year. Minnekhada Park offers a network of quiet trails, a great place to hike and watch for wildlife. It is also home to Minnekhada Lodge, a 1930s country estate with spectacular views of the Pitt River. The park has extensive bear habitat, please exercise caution. Lodge Trail is surfaced with loose gravel and has one steep slope (18% for 12 m) plus additional steep slopes of 12%. Quarry Trail is narrow with a packed dirt surface and steep slopes.

Very beautiful Park, Very easy hike. I saw a bear, mother and son. They were on the path when reaching the upper lookout. A few meters in front of me. I was very scared, since was my first time, but I remained calm, and they completely ignored me.

Extremely busy on this sunny Saturday and not much social distancing going on. Still, lovely varied trail and great view from the knoll.

Super nice walk today, a little more elevation than expected. I like that you can choose which trails to take for however long you want to walk.

Great hike that has a bit of a “choose your own adventure/difficulty rating” with different lookout/trail options with varying levels of difficulty. View from the lookout is great.

Views could have been better for low, worth the trek for high knoll views

Great Sunday hike. Good views, well marked, lots of dogs :-)

Did this trail today (Feb 17). Almost 2 hours to complete but we were not rushing. Took Quarry Trail to the High Knoll then the Marsh Trail back to parking lot. I would definitely say this is more of a moderate hike. Lots of tree roots and rocks to navigate through with a nice elevation gain. Lovely view though!

Good trail! Great mix of cardio and leisure walking. Very well marked with signs. Great views of the forest and the water. High Knoll lookout was worth the uphill hike. Heavy traffic and little parking.

This is our second time doing the trail and we chose the quicker way to high knoll because we wanted to take our time with the kids, and gates close at 5pm. Highly recommend going on super bowl Sunday- there was almost no one in sight. I don’t know if I would consider it an easy trail, the last few pushes to the high knoll arnt easy but that’s just me. Excellent view at the top and so worth it!

The best way for this trail is to go on Quarry trail, and go through the forest. It becomes pretty rustic with a steady decent but it’s nice forest scenery. The you come to the high knoll part which is another good rustic climb. The view is worth it, even on a foggy day. Then a nice loop back through the mid marsh trail over a “bridge” (gravel dike) between the marshes and back to the parking lot. When I did this loop myself taking my time, stopping to enjoy it was about 2 hours. When I did it with a friend for more of a workout with a brief stop it was an hour and fifteen minutes.

flooded

Nice quick hike with a good little cardio push at the end to get to the view point. Can be slippery on rock sections, and areas of exposed roots, muddy in winter months. Lovely views of wetlands and if your lucky you may catch some busy beavers at work! The view at the top is lovely on a clear day. Is very busy in summer months so expect crowds. Good family hike.

I’d say it’s a moderate/easy hike. Some very steep and uneven areas and some flats. Beautiful pay out at the top of High knoll. Took less than an hour. Nov 10, sunny periods, chilly in the forest, but got hot hiking up. Had to take some layers off.

I really like this trail! Nice variety of terrain, rocky in some points while flat soil in others. Good amount of elevation at some points. Nice view. Some spots are muddy, but it is Oct. 27th. I'd recommend hiking boots for this one. Dog friendly.

it is a bright and sunny October day. great views. a bit rugged at times. Suitable for family and doggies.

Busy little trail but nice walk. Done in under 2hours

Sept 5th, 2019 2pm: Good solid hike, kept my heart rate up. Starts out pretty flat, but about a quarter in you start the incline. Few bugs, but nothing that bit me...saw about a dozen frogs on the trail and a few blue jays. High Knoll view point is nice, skip Addington in my opinion. Only saw about a handful of people on this hike and I was out there for 2 hours. Definitely would do it again, ever though the view wasn't as nice as I hoped!

Wonderful trail with a variety of beautiful scenery! Change of elevations as you climb at times and descend at others. High Knoll offered great views, while the Lower Knoll offered more of a peaceful setting. Had planned to do Addington Lookout as well followed by Fern Trail, but the first part took longer than expected and I didn't have the time. Will definitely go back to do that and more!

I've done this trail several times and am always pleased with the beautiful views. However today I went with two others and we ran into a HUGE bear on our way back- not 10 feet from us as we turned a corner. Be careful out there!