Abbott Pass Hut and Lake Oesa

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(9)
Yoho National Park

Abbott Pass Hut and Lake Oesa is a 10.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 km Elevation Gain: 1,363 m Route Type: Out & Back

Sat May 18 2019

Absolutely stunning. one of my favorite hikes.

Sat Sep 01 2018

Just awesome. Incredible beauty at all times...

closed
Wed Aug 22 2018

Well, this was my first BIG hike out West and was it ever worth it! I trained for 6 months as I came from petawawa ON where we have no altitude. This was more mentally draining then physically as I did train for it, but it was steep and I am not a fan of heights. It took us 4.5 hours from Lake O'Hara to the Hut. The scramble took us 2 hours. I def recommend buying good boots. I had minimal hiking boots and they were ruined after this scree, and my ankles were killing me! I def recommend gators too as the falling rocks and take a bite out of your ankle. I want to go again when the hut is open! It is a tough one to beat for sure.

Wed Aug 15 2018

I can't add too much to what's been said except to say that from Lake Oesa to the hut is most certainly NOT a moderate hike. You would be very foolish to not do this wearing a climbing helmet and very good footwear. From Lake O'Hara to Lake Oesa yes, definitely moderate and very beautiful on it's own. PLEASE NOTE: The hut is closed indefinitely due to erosion. There is nowhere to camp up there. Allow yourself enough time to get up and back in daylight. The terrain is too difficult to hike at dusk.

Thu Jul 26 2018

Definitely the longest and steepest rock scrambling I have ever done. It took us 2 hrs just to master the scree field. 4.5 hrs for the entire hike up. We arrived at the hut under dark clouds accompanied by thunder and hail. What a treat to enter a warm hut, with hot water already on the stove (placed by wonderful fellow hikers). Helmets are highly recommended, especially for the downhill when every step causes a mini avalanche. Put this adventure on your bucket list.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Easily the best hike I’ve ever done. The entire hike does not have a single dull moment! The climb up to the Hut is vertical and scree the entire time, it took me 2 1/2 hours. I did not rush but also did not take any long breaks, just enough to catch my breath and take a photo. The hike to lake Oesa (which is the starting point for where you break off to the mountaineering route to begin the climb to the Hut) took me 2 1/2 hours also. If you are nervous around heights or have not done any scrambling, maybe hold off on this one as it is very steep. But again, so worth the views!

Mon Apr 30 2018

First of all, I love Lake O’Hara. Been lucky enough to camp there several times. Seemed staying at the Hut was the next common sense thing to do. There’s something really neat about staying a night in the 2nd highest permanent structure in Canada and to also look at the Victoria Glacier for once from its side rather that the hundred or so times from the shoreline (which I’d easily do another 100 more times). The hike from Lake O’Hara is straight forward - I like going the wiwaxy gap route to Lake Oesa. But from Oesa to the hut, it’s 100% scree. If you’ve never had to tackle scree, you’re in for a real treat. Essentially it’s similar to going 2 steps up and sliding 1-1 1/2 feet down. It’s mentally and physically exhausting (read reviews on Mt Rundle). But if you’re a hiker, you’ll persevere and enjoy one of the more unique experiences in the Rockies. And it was here where I found I had an equally amount of love for scree as hate. If you dare, when going down scree, you can take big steps (even giant leaps) and let the heel of your boot dig into the scree. It was so cushiony and fun and only took 30min to descend to Lake Oesa. I also have to mention that the outhouse has two small windows so you can still take in the view whether you are ‘standing or sitting’. Just brilliant.

Sat Jul 15 2017