Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail

Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail is a 8.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bighorn No 8, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.9 km
901 m

rock climbing

NOTE: Although dogs are allowed in the Alberta Provincial Parks on leash, users have reported that this trail might be very difficult for dogs.

If you have dogs with you, dont go hiker route, turn west at the sign and go climber route.

One of my favorite hikes in the area because of the views and the thrills.

Snow covered but very achievable part sun/ shade. Great way of spending a Monday. Took 2hrs25 mins to the shoulder and back to car park. Saw elk. And wild birds.

Trail is good. It gets handsy when you start climbing around the mountain. Lots of opportunity to go to sub peaks without wasting much time. There was a little bit of snow but not much. Views are awesome! Great weather!

Would do it again repeatedly.

We hiked Tamnuska loop today (January 13, 2019). Most sections were dry. However, spikes are needed to reach its summit.

Several cars were broken into at the trailhead parking lot today.

Have been hiking this for 20yrs, but this was the first time with snow and ice. Bring spikes and decent poles, some gnarly ice latches patches on the backside. Shoulder and front side were pretty clear, unfortunately very little scree left these days...

I am making this specific review 3/5 only because the trail is absolutely NOT for dogs. When I am looking for hikes that are dog friendly, I am under the assumption they can complete the trail. It is 110% not for dogs. It was challenging to get to the chains and then when I realized we definitely weren’t getting across that.. the challenging high turned to pissed off. Getting us back down the way we came was stressful and dangerous for both of us.
Also, the entire trail once you are out of the trees is so poorly marked that unless you know where you are going or following footprints, you would get lost.
I am pretty disappointed with this hike because of those two issues.
Bring poles and microspikes.
My next review may be better when I don’t have my girl - if I decide to try this hike again.

Amazing hike...loved the Scree...

Amazing hike would not recommend for beginners.

Nov 25, 2018. I hiked up to the rock chute today. The trail was snow covered with a few icy patches. I was able to make it to the chute without any spikes. I wore my Microspikes on the way down which was helpful. Overall the trail was in very good shape.

hiked this circuit today, Nov 10. Snow covered trail and the scramble to the summit is intense. definetly wish I packed extra socks and gloves, didn't expect knee deep snow. AMAZING views. not for the faint hearted. took us newbies 5 hrs to complete. didn't give this 5 stars only because lack of direction during decent from summit. golden eagles are big.

Some challenging scrambling near the top, but the view is amazing!

Awesome trail. Just did it yesterday, I recommend spikes as it is pretty snowy and icy going up. The views are amazing and going down through the scree makes for a quick and fun decent.

I’m planning on hiking in a few days for the first time. Is it difficult to find the trail head? This is what I’ve heard. Thanks and sorry I had to rate it to post on here.

Nice hike did yesterday October 20,2018

Asolutely stunning hike. We left early with headlamps on and watched the sunrise at the first false summit. You definitely need ice trekkers or yaktracks as it is super iced up and snowy up top. Poles and gloves were also helpful as some areas are deep and unstable underfoot. This was my favourite hike so far in the area! Be safe and enjoy

Hiked this on Sunday October 14th. 5 hours round trip. Very challenging, poles and crampons recommended. Lots of false summits and moments where footing was pretty minimal. a lot more challenging than in the summer. take care :) Hi Bogdan, passed you on the second peak, glad you made it.

Oct 14, 2018:
- 8h in total with lots of photo breaks
- amazing and hard, lots of snow so followed the ridge
- leave your dog at home !!!

Hiked this with my wife on October 6, 2018 path is easy to follow lots of ice and snow crampons definitely recommended great views. Great way to spend the day would highly recommend this hike
I want to thank Jason Lee’s whom I met on this hike and turned me onto this app nice talking to you in the parking lot Jayson I hope you enjoy the rest of your hiking send me a friend request if you’re on Facebook maybe we can compare hikes thanks again.

6 Oct, 2018
Easy path to follow now with the packed snow trail to the first ridgeline. Once reaching the ridgeline up to Yamnuska Summit, you may want crampons, gators, and an ice axe as the snow is deep now and no official trail is obvious. The hike up to the first ridge for a nice lookout is easily done and only microspikes recommended.

Did this yesterday. Visibility was touch and go and with fresh snow with no tracks to follow made finding the markers (blue squares) a bit tough. I went with an experienced hiker who's done the trail many times and we still found ourselves lost. Took us 6 hours to complete. You have phone reception throughout the trail so I suggest using the alltrails map to track your hike. Would definitely come again next year when there isn't any snow.

One of my all time annual favorites; any weather or any season. Always best counterclockwise.

Difficulty: Hard. Make sure you reach level 80 before attempting this.

Estimated time: 4-6 hours

Map Terrain: Steep. Steeper. then very steep descent.

Cheat codes:
Go Counter Clockwise.
Run down scree.

Reward: 10,000 points + Bonus

We underestimated this one! The views were outstanding and the hike was challenging both mentally and physically. If you're new to hiking this will be a challenge. There is a chains section that I found terrifying and had to be coached through! But others in my party breezed through it. Theres a fun skree-ski section coming down that was a blast. Overall it made us feel alive!!

Though I’m new to day long hikes, this was one of the toughest I’ve done. Definitely need to be in at least moderate shape to complete. I absolutely loved the variety this trail had to offer: forest, large boulders requiring the use of a chain to cross ledges, scrambling, breath-taking mountain views, scramble, and scree. Bring lots of water, snacks, and sunscreen. I finished the hike very sore, but feeling accomplished. If you’re looking for a rewarding challenge, look no farther.

Fantastic view of heart shaped lake! Scramble down slope, amazing experience! First time seeing helicopter rescue young girl twisted her ankle, hope she’s getting well soon!

Amazing trail!!

Would HIGHLY recommend doing this hike with an experienced hiker and someone that has done it before as we lost around 1.5 hours going down the wrong path, as it’s not marked well AT ALL and very confusing, and having to come back. Getting to the summit was fairly easy, chain part was seriously nothing (and I had my dog!) but going down the loop was absolutely terrifying. Loads of scree and we avoided the most of it by walking along the face of the mountain (a 15 km loop) but do not try the scree unless with poles or an experience scree skier as it look absolutely deadly. Was a difficult hike, and with the whole trail being improperly marked, it took us 8.5 hours to complete... (however if not lost around 6) if looking just for a fun hike & great views just get to the summit and do an out & back. Will not be doing the full loop again.

We did this trail on the first day of our week out here and it was quite an introduction to the Canadian Rockies! Going up was a grind, but worth it. Scrambling up and through the rocks was really fun and I found the short chain section fun as well. The trail going down is difficult to find, and some hikers advised us to stay close to the mountain base and wait until getting into the forest before descending. There is ALOT of sliding on the way down and poles were a lifesaver there. We had never gone down screw before and we avoided the large scree fields by following the hikers directions. The views at the top were great, but due to the fires, half of our views were just smoky.