Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail

Yamnuska Ridge & CMC Valley Trail is a 9.2 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bighorn No 8, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.2 km
1025 m

Took 6 hours. 1 hour was for lunch so 5 hours of hiking/breaks. Could probably do in 4 hours if all hikers are experienced.

The trail is pretty well marked and once you get to the rocks just look for the blue squares.

The chain is nothing to be afraid of. The drop isn't too bad and there is lots of room for your feet.

Going back down has ALOT of scree. Would recommend long socks or pants or gators. The first bit of the scree was pretty hard/had to take it slow then after that it wasn't too bad.

great hike, when you get closer to the top it gets a little more dicey. there is alot of loose stones. One point of the trail you have to hold onto a chain secured into the mountain to get around a cliff face.

not worth it

This was an amazing hike/scramble. Great views and very diverse. I didn't enjoy the scree on the way down and luckily my husband and brother in law indulged me to traverse all the way across the face so we could descend on the path. It added some time, but we lived and that's the most important thing.

Awesome hike with a little bit of everything. Chain section was not as intense as I was expecting from the reviews I read. Lots of loose rocks, wish I would have taken poles. Lots of scree on the way down made the descent pretty quick. Round trip 3hr 50min with quite a few short breaks

Great trail with amazing views. Fairly well marked but there are a few sections you really have to look for the trail. The chains are slippery when wet but take your time and it's doable. Definitely on the harder side of moderate compared to other moderate trails in the area just due to the wide variety of terrain. Great to develop your skill for just about anything. Definitely one I will actually do again.

PROS
- Views, views, views.
- It tests your skill levels and technical abilities
- Relatively reasonable day hike

CONS
- Slippery when wet
- Lots of scrambling, rock climbing/bouldering, chains with ledges. Again, it tests your technical abilities and if you are scared of heights it might not work out for you
- Relatively busy

CAUTION: Slippery when wet!!

We did this hike on Aug 5, 2017. From the base to the false summit are relatively moderate, not a lot of scrambling and only a few technical climbs. From the false summit to the top is where it gets suuuuper interesting. When we hit the false summit it started raining, and those giant boulders you start climbing over get pretty slippery when wet. Had to be extra slow and extra careful with our footing. A few points I was actually on my butt dragging myself to the next boulder so I wouldn't slip. The chain was pretty scary, especially since both the chain and the ledge were both wet.

The summit was fantastic and the way down was difficult in a different way. Lots of loose scree on a narrow path, PLEASE make sure to bring good hiking shoes and trekking poles. The screen run down the side of the mountain was a fun experience as well!

Overall, I was challenged both mentally and physically, and I came out on top. This hike was 100% worth it, and it has grown my appreciation for the majesty and power of the mountains.

ALSO: WE STOLE YOUR BUGSPRAY BY ACCIDENT! If you are the Eastern European dudes from Calgary who nicely lent us your bug spray after we forgot ours, we didn't mean to steal your bottle. We were exhausted after the hike and it completely slipped our minds. We will gladly send you a new bottle of bug spray if you see this!

This hike is great because you can do it almost any month of the year! It's a once a year hike at least
You can go this hike in 3-4 hours return

Incredible views, doesn't get better. Steady incline from start to summit, scrambling at the top, a chain section to cross that's not as bad as everyone makes it to be, downside is getting down! Hug the mountain until you meet back with the trail you started the scramble, make sure to not take the steep trail down, unless experienced. Hiking poles, lots of water, snacks, sunscreen, bug spray and good shoes are a must.