Wood Bison Trail #11

Wood Bison Trail #11 is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sandy Beach, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

15.9 km
384 m

scenic driving

skiing

old growth

Nice stroll through a forest, for occasional glimpses of lakes. Great for bird watching. If going in summer bring lots of bug spray, as well sun tan lotion as open areas can get quite hot. On the trail u may see bison, elk deer and birds

16km of woods... the odd opening. I didn't see any wildlife other than birds. I found the hike very boring. It's mostly flat however, but I suggest you wear pants as parts of the trail are grown and there's lots of thorns.

This was my first time going to Elk Island, I really enjoyed this trail! It is long but with very little elevation. The weather was very hot that day so I started the hike around 8 am, in hopes that the cooler morning temperature would have some of the Bison/wildlife on the move. Turns out that was the right way to go, just driving to the trail head there were a lot of bison walking along the fence that borders the highway, I stopped and got some great pictures there. Later on the trail I came face to face with some more bison! The bogs/marsh areas were mostly dry so it was easy to get around them, and the bugs were also at a minimum. It was a great day!

Nice hike, long but not too challenging. We saw a few wild buffalo and deer which was super exciting!

Pros:
- Long hike with minimal elevation, so it focuses more on endurance vs. strength
- Some beautiful scenery, lots of trees, alberta rose bushes, wild strawberries, and raspberries.

Cons:
- LOTS of bogs and marsh land. Most of them do have trails other hikers have used to get around, but you really won't be able to avoid getting your feet damp.
- There are quite a few mosquitoes, but they back off with the lovely scent of DEET

Not a great one when it's still damp out. About 1km in, we ran into a puddle we couldn't get around without wading through. Considering how thick the mosquitos were, we decided to turn back & try another trail.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Monday, May 09, 2016

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Nice place if you avoid the campers. Not easy stroll. Though there are some swampy crossing with only sticks and logs as your bridge. Don't be fooled by what may look like solid ground neat the end of those logs... I was, but luckily my hikers are waterproof lol.

If you go in spring, be prepared for lots of mud.

And while in the park, we did see a few bison.

My only beef is with smokers.. We picked up so many cigarette bugs on the tail.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Hiked this trail numerous times there are some soggy areas. Well maintained lots of wildlife to see if you are light on your feet. Give yourself 5 hours

Friday, April 03, 2015