Wood Bison Trail #11

Wood Bison Trail #11 is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sandy Beach, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

15.9 km
174 m

scenic driving

skiing

old growth

Nice stroll through a forest, for occasional glimpses of lakes. Great for bird watching. If going in summer bring lots of bug spray, as well sun tan lotion as open areas can get quite hot. On the trail u may see bison, elk deer and birds

This was my first time going to Elk Island, I really enjoyed this trail! It is long but with very little elevation. The weather was very hot that day so I started the hike around 8 am, in hopes that the cooler morning temperature would have some of the Bison/wildlife on the move. Turns out that was the right way to go, just driving to the trail head there were a lot of bison walking along the fence that borders the highway, I stopped and got some great pictures there. Later on the trail I came face to face with some more bison! The bogs/marsh areas were mostly dry so it was easy to get around them, and the bugs were also at a minimum. It was a great day!

Nice hike, long but not too challenging. We saw a few wild buffalo and deer which was super exciting!

Pros:
- Long hike with minimal elevation, so it focuses more on endurance vs. strength
- Some beautiful scenery, lots of trees, alberta rose bushes, wild strawberries, and raspberries.

Cons:
- LOTS of bogs and marsh land. Most of them do have trails other hikers have used to get around, but you really won't be able to avoid getting your feet damp.
- There are quite a few mosquitoes, but they back off with the lovely scent of DEET

Not a great one when it's still damp out. About 1km in, we ran into a puddle we couldn't get around without wading through. Considering how thick the mosquitos were, we decided to turn back & try another trail.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Nice place if you avoid the campers. Not easy stroll. Though there are some swampy crossing with only sticks and logs as your bridge. Don't be fooled by what may look like solid ground neat the end of those logs... I was, but luckily my hikers are waterproof lol.

If you go in spring, be prepared for lots of mud.

And while in the park, we did see a few bison.

My only beef is with smokers.. We picked up so many cigarette bugs on the tail.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Hiked this trail numerous times there are some soggy areas. Well maintained lots of wildlife to see if you are light on your feet. Give yourself 5 hours

Sunday, February 15, 2015

This has got to be one of the worst hikes I have ever done in Alberta. Not only were the mosquito hulk size the trail was flat boring and the heat of the day put a damper on all hiking party members. It took us a hour and fifteen minutes at fast pace walk/run to complete this. I would not waste the money or time to come out here, unless you have a full bug suit on (mossy spray did not keep them away).

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Keep in mind I had just spent a week in Yellowstone/Grand Teton, so I was feeling rather spoiled. That being said, this was a pretty flat and boring trail through the trees so not many views. Mosquitoes were horrible to the point where i started jogging on the trail just to avoid being eaten alive. Stumbled on a dozing Wood Bison, so that was pretty cool, but other than that, not much to write home about

Friday, March 28, 2014

Decently fun trail. Have seen deer, moose, bison, and many birds from very close range-- great for photos. Can get pretty mucky during the spring or after rain... Would second that comment about bugs but that seems to be the park in general.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Nice hike, long though as walking through a forest with low scenery. Didn't see any bison elk or deer. There were birds but didn't have any binoculars. Tons and tons of bugs!!!!!! Had to spray myself 6 times on the loop. if u stopped and looked down there would 50+ Mosquitos around u

16km of woods... the odd opening. I didn't see any wildlife other than birds. I found the hike very boring. It's mostly flat however, but I suggest you wear pants as parts of the trail are grown and there's lots of thorns.

Saturday, January 14, 2017