Windy Point Ridge Trail is a 3.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 km Elevation Gain: 347 m Route Type: Out & Back

Absolutely gorgeous views and the trail is defined once you reach the ridge, however very challenging to find on the way up! Ridge lives up to its name, very windy so bring a sweater or jacket! We ended up off trail both up and down but still a great hike.

It's pretty much straight up and we finally found the trail near the top. Magnificent views from the top of the ridge. After that we followed the Gleason Trail back and then short circuited that and bushwhacked down back to the lower tail.

Easy hike with huge rewards of 360° views. Great for beginners.

It was a beautiful day for a hike. The first half of the trail is faint and very steep, (glad I had my good hikers on and some poles) but once you reach the ridge it’s well defined. Had a nice lunch at the top overlooking the hills to the East. The name suits the trail. It was quite windy at the top, but once sheltered by trees it was good. I highly recommend it.

Windy Point Trail is aptly named. In cold weather I’ll make sure to bring a toque to cover my ears. :) This is a great short hike and reminds me of the Grouse Grind in Vancouver. Lots of work to get to the view worthy peak. **we accidentally went off trail and took the exposed slope up and then followed the AllTrail recommended semi forested & grassy trail down. The trail down (AllTrails) is overgrown and unclear through prairie grass - we had to find our own path.

Steep hike but totally worth the beautiful views once you reach the top :)

Sat Sep 01 2018

Steep one for sure. Great views. The trail thins out and is a bit rocky at the top. We had two ravens following us the whole time. We spotted a black bear and three deer from our advantage point.

Mon May 28 2018

Short hike but great payoff for the views.

Mon May 21 2018

Apple maps will lead you past the trailhead so watch for the trail sign or you will miss it. A steep climb but well worth the effort. The view is amazing and it is was quiet when we were hiking (late Sunday morning). We would definitely do this hike again.

Tue Nov 28 2017

If your on your way back from another hike in the Sheep River area and you don't really feel like you've "earned it", pull off here and do this. Quick little hour long hike with a good amount of elevation and decent veiws. Dont worry about following the trail, theres dozens of different cattle trails. I suggest keep right on the way up for the best views. If your knees are sore take the mapped trail down, its a wee bit easier but without the great veiws Way too much wind. Broke my string and my kite flew away. Looks like it ended up in Turner Valley. If you see a Hello Kitty kite in Turner Valley, it's mine.

Sat Oct 07 2017

Good, short but steep hike. Nice views of Bluerock Mountain and others. Lot of birders watching for golden eagles.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Need some trail finding skills but a fabulous ridge with great views. Probably due to the dry season but I would have considered it moderate due to scree, trail finding and elevation gain. Definitely do it again.

Mon May 22 2017

Great hike. Kids friendly. Very nice view. We shared trail with horses. Trail was dry. Just over 5km.