Windy Peak Hills

Windy Peak Hills is a 16.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ranchland No. 66, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

16.6 km
996 m

Appropriately named, Windy Peak has a bit of everything...ups and downs, rocks, trees, meadows with wildflowers, exposed (relatively wide) ridges. The trail beginning from the parking lot off 532 is relatively easy to follow, though expect to have a number of descents in addition to ascending the ridges. There are a total of 4 "peaks" on your way up. Instead of returning the way we came, we did the loop shown on the AllTrails map which had us bushwacking a good portion of the way down. As another reviewer commented, the lower areas are definitely marshy. Those of us not wearing waterproof boots definitely ended up with wet shoes and socks. Once we reached the road, it was only about a 1-1.5 km back to the parking lot.

Fairly steep from the parking area for the first mile or so, but beautiful views to the east.

I just did the hike from the turnaround spot up to the top of Windy Peak July 23, 2017. Only suitable if very dry season. We still got wet walking through the low lying areas around the 5 mile mark on the map and then again around the 4.5 mile mark. Bush wacking up the north ridge until we cleared the trees. Don't ask me why the trail is marked as such, totally unsuitable. Looking to the east you can see the triail from "The Hump" and it looks well marked and used.
If I could edit the track shown I would.