Windtower Trail via West Wind Pass is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dead Man's Flats, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Windy. So very very windy, which makes sense with the name. Bring layers, last 200 m is cold and gaiters are key as snow is knee deep up top. Pretty hike though!

Crazy Wind! Hence the name haha Windtower! Beautiful views the whole way up. It’s fine to do in the winter - just prepare ahead of time, and bring your spikes if going to the peak!

Beautiful hike with amazing views at the end! Difficult to route find unless you have the app - found it very helpful to keep comparing where we were with the trail we were on/direction we were heading. The last 1-2km was a serious grind - calves were KILLING. The top is SERIOUSLY windy and cold - anticipate for some harsh cold winds and bring a toque/gloves.

It is a beautiful hike, but we found the trail past west winds very difficult to navigate and ended up getting lost at the scree and had to turn back around eventually. There were no other people on the trail past west winds despite it being a beautiful day. I would definitely try this one again and hopefully would have better luck with the route.

An enjoyable hike with amazing views on top. Can be challenging near the summit as it got steeper a bit. You can see Canmore and Three Sisters Mountain on top.

It was an enjoyable hike. We recommend to go earlier in the day as it gets busy.

One of the most amazing hikes I've done. There's an Y intersection roughly 1km in marked with red ribbon and some black tape make sure you stay to the right. Other wise you will end up going up the side of The Rimwall and not wind tower, and it is very, very tricky to get back down to west wind pass, it also adds quite a bit of time to the hike.

great views! followed all trails for west wind and didn't change to wind tower... followed the route and ended up scrambling up the side on some very loose scree and sharp rocks. stick to the path! well worth it. steady climb to top.

Fun hike that doesn’t take too long. Did it in 3.5 hours. Saw some Rocky Mountain sheep up top which was cool.

I really loved this hike! Continuous uphill off the bat through forest and along the side of the mountain with great views behind of the lakes. Opens up at the pass and that's where the wind really starts. This is nothing compared to the wind at the top. Seriously, bring a windbreaker, hat and gloves, my fingers were numb after a few minutes at the top.
The trail from the pass opens up and becomes rocky and there are some small cliff bands to get over but nothing crazy (I'm pretty new to hiking and had no problem). Follow the inukshuks almost to the top. Gorgeous views all the way up and the best at the top. The wind almost knocked me off my feet a few times and made the last push to the summit a challenge on already tired leg. Nevertheless it was well worth every step. We even crossed paths with some big horn sheep on the way down.

Great hike, very enjoyable during July. Weather was fair & the sky was clear. The views at the top are well worth it. *** I lost my jade necklace somewhere on the trail. It’s in the shape of a Silver Fern and is very special to me. If by some chance you find it please message me on Facebook: Carter Clark - I work at Cam Clark Ford. Thanks!!

Good time out we found a short cut from the road cuts off over 2.5 km off trail.
Follow the new bike trail south to a bridge crossing a creek that’s all rock slabs get on it and walk it to the end this connects to the wind tower pass trail switching to alpine. Supper nice and straight line.

Even if you just make to the pass the views are incredible. Made the summit last year but went May 5th this year and sank into 2 meter drifts after the pass. Mid June should be good.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

This hike definitely lives up to it's name, it is going to be windy no matter what. However, the summit gives you some of the best views of the rockies. It was incredible! The day we completed the hike it was SO windy and cold, easily felt like -10 to -15 with the wind chill. I've done many "hard" hikes and given that this was rated "moderate" I wasn't expecting it to be so challenging. However I think the elements and my lagging fatigue from the previous days hike led it to feel more difficult. This trail closes December 1 for wildlife preservation so if you are looking for a challenging fall/winter hike I would recommend this one before then. I will definitely be back in the summer.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Amazing panorama at the top, and views throughout.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Awesome view at the top, some funny comments in the summit container. Love the fact that we were in the shade for the majority of the ascent (started at 7am, got to the top around 9am). Trail for the most part is well marked, a few paths split but joined back up.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Lost the trail for a little on the way back

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Tried this one out yesterday (jan20) with my boyfriend! West wind pass is totally accessible and most of it is is packed in. Once you reach the base and start uphill to the long switchback to the summit, it's completely snowed in in lots of spots (waist deep). Lots of careful footing required! Definitely could have used an ice axe. We got most of the way but it took so long and the sun was on its way down so we headed back. Will try this one in the summer!! Insanely beautiful views! Not technical and very fun.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Great hike! Not very difficult, beautiful views everywhere you look. Bring warm clothes it can be chilly with the amount of wind at the peak!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Very rewarding views at the summit. The hike was not that difficult but very doable. You are treated with amazing views all the way to the summit.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Not my favourite hike lots of scree on the way up to the tower!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Stunning views. Such an amazing perspective of Mount Lougheed and all the valleys that lead up to it. Easy Trail finding, only had a small slip up at the bottom. Make sure you stay right at the fork.

I would do this again in a heartbeat!

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

A beautiful hike/easy scramble with gorgeous views of the valley of the Spray Lakes. When I was in this area last year ( Red Ridge scramble) for the first time, I was so mesmerized by the views of the lakes and the high peaks that I vowed I would return. Thanks to my friend Daunia who picked this hike as her birthday hike, not only were I able to spoil my camera again, I also got a closer look at the mighty Peter Lougheed.