Windtower Trail via West Wind Pass

Windtower Trail via West Wind Pass is a 10.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dead Man's Flats, Alberta, Canada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.6 km
1016 m

This hike definitely lives up to it's name, it is going to be windy no matter what. However, the summit gives you some of the best views of the rockies. It was incredible! The day we completed the hike it was SO windy and cold, easily felt like -10 to -15 with the wind chill. I've done many "hard" hikes and given that this was rated "moderate" I wasn't expecting it to be so challenging. However I think the elements and my lagging fatigue from the previous days hike led it to feel more difficult. This trail closes December 1 for wildlife preservation so if you are looking for a challenging fall/winter hike I would recommend this one before then. I will definitely be back in the summer.

Amazing panorama at the top, and views throughout.

Awesome view at the top, some funny comments in the summit container. Love the fact that we were in the shade for the majority of the ascent (started at 7am, got to the top around 9am). Trail for the most part is well marked, a few paths split but joined back up.

Lost the trail for a little on the way back

Tried this one out yesterday (jan20) with my boyfriend! West wind pass is totally accessible and most of it is is packed in. Once you reach the base and start uphill to the long switchback to the summit, it's completely snowed in in lots of spots (waist deep). Lots of careful footing required! Definitely could have used an ice axe. We got most of the way but it took so long and the sun was on its way down so we headed back. Will try this one in the summer!! Insanely beautiful views! Not technical and very fun.