Learn more

Window Mountain Lake Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(98)
Crowsnest Pass, Alberta

Window Mountain Lake Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Moderate hike to Window Mountain Lake. Good vehicle clearance needed to get to the trailhead but easy to find once you get there (follow the small orange spraypainted "WML"s).

This was our first Hike. We were told that it was moderate to easy. Nothing easy about it but with all the hard trails it was well worth the pay off at the lake.

Found trail head by asking directions for reassurance and followed directions of app. Went with two vehicles. Park little car when road got too rocky and all got in the back of the pickup till trail head. The trail was easy to follow and there was some variation during the hike; rocky, hard packed, dirt, wide path, narrow path, shade... arrival at the lake was beautiful. There were quite a bit is people. Some brought a fishing line to fish and there were out houses at lake as well as campers. We walked a little past the lake , right side, up toward the the avalanche area. All in all, it was a really nice day.

The road in is terrible. The trail is not marked at the turn in. Walk in from the road is boring and very very rocky. The trail is not well marked at the fork either. It’s a hard rocky climb to the top. After several wrong turns we did not even get to the lake to reward ourselves. Disappointed.

I counted 50 vehicles in the vicinity of the trail head. About 30 on the Allison Creek road and 20 closer to the trail head. People are driving to within 2 km of the lake. From there it's a 20 minute hike. Absolutely not worth the effort. The description for this trail is mis-leading. This is a favorite spots for locals, and definitely not a worth-while destination for anyone from more than 50 km away.

Road was pretty messy when we did it a week ago. If you follow the AllTrails map for the start, it's pretty easy to follow (there was one sign that made it seem like we would be going into the bush, but stay on the rocky path). Super foggy once we reached the lake, but still a nice hike.

recorded Mount Ward

Mount Ward false summit

Would def recommend hiking boots. I did it in sneakers and wouldn’t recommend. The trail has a lot of large and small loose rock, even on the ascent. You can park closer to the trail if you have a 4x4 as it is mostly just following a super rocky road. The road was part of a “creek” that I’m sure would dry up in summer. A bit of snow near the lake and you can see it on the mountain. BF caught and released 5 small trout. Did it with my dogs and there were a couple spots I had to help them (they are 65lb large dogs). Tons of flies at the lake but didn’t seem to be any mosquitos.

The drive up to reach the trail head is a very poor road. Recommend a good AWD vehicle. Trail wasn’t very well marked so make sure to keep right at the forks in order to reach the lake. The hike was amazing and lake at the end is well worth it!

June 14- Good mixture of easy to moderate. "Road" up to trails is still pretty wet with creek running through so bring decent footwear. Still a little bit of snow closer to top but manageable to walk through and should melt soon enough. Be ready for rapid weather changes this time of year; would probably recommend going in July/August if you plan to stay at the lake for a while to fish or just enjoy the views as we experienced rain, snow and wind. Not too bad if you bring appropriate attire but it's definitely better with warmer weather.

June 7 - First two km is basically a road/river.. make sure you have waterproof shoes! The trail is a bit unclear at times and the last .5 km was two feet of packed snow. As always, worth the view.

What a rush! Totally worth the climb. Dog and I had a couple moments of difficulty, but would definitely do it again. If your dog pulls, I wouldn't recommend bringing them. Couple of steep spots that could be dangerous if they bolt on you. The views at the lake were spectacular! Very rocky in some places, so I would really reccomend good, supportive hiking boots.

Good hike, however I would recommend hiking boots with ankle support, as the train was quite rocky. There was a scramble up towards the middle of the trail and at the very peak, after the lake. I would do this trial again.

Beautiful, easy hike with a beautiful view at the end!

It’s a very nice hike, not too hot nor cold.When we were starting the hike there was fog on the mountain and once when we got up the mountain there still was fog on the top and the fog seemed thicker and grey, if we were to continiue it would be dangerous because of the fog.We were 1km from the summit and we heard grumbling at first we thought it was thunder and then we saw rocks falling.The adrenalline rush took over and we started running/sliding back down.

Definitely very rough road. Beautiful views at the top, with various types of terrain getting there. My 6 and 8 year old daughters accompanied me and did great, but compared to other hikes we have done, it wasn't one of our favorites.

I parked on Allison Creek Rd and hiked up the road where the trail head starts on this app, it’s a rocky uneven road my SUV couldn’t have driven far on, after that it becomes a steep uphill through the forest, one switchback and then a steep climb up the hillside. Then the trail flows back down, opens to a nice meadow and the beautiful lake! I walked around and went halfway up the rocky steep trail to Mt Ward but it was already 430 so I got my nice photo and headed back down. I probably wasted a solid km or two being lost because the gps didn’t exactly line up how it says on here, but there’s only one trail. I lost it again at the part you go up some rocks and had to bush whack a bit, but I made it! A nice hike. Some fellows tried to dirtbike up, didn’t work out so well for them! Next time I’m going to the actual Window and Mt Ward & Allison peaks

Uneven dirt road to get there. About 1 km from where you park to the trail head, unless you have a truck to get there. Rocky trail uphill with moderate incline. Then a steep incline through the forest. Down to a meadow and finally the lake which is beautiful! Totally worth hike! All Trails say it's 12.4 km return but it's only 7 km return.

I would highly recommend this hike! I have done many climbs and this one was a nice, easy one with beautiful views, peaceful lake setting! This was one of my favourites for sure and it’s definitely a gem! It was so highly trafficked with many kids and families, at the top around the lake a boy was fishing and was so excited to catch a fish. The dirt road leading to trail is awful but once you get there it’s worth it ❤️

My son who is 6 said he would do this trail again. We turned off the main road and drove up to the parking lot to shorten the hike. We had a great day.

Really pretty trail. A lot shorter than we expected but still a good morning hike

Be aware The drive to the hike is rough. When we arrived The hike began and the trail was a wide atv dirt road, and a slow incline up where it turned into a rocky path. Half way the trail gets very nice and there is a steep climb up, and nice treed in paths toward the lake then begin. The lake was very peaceful and beautiful. Great view, and had lots of nice areas to sit and admire the area. It’s a busier trail with lots of people heading up to do some fishing . We didn’t end up doing the scramble higher up the mountain side, which the pictures and views look great. Very nice hike once you get past the rocky trail road.