Window Mountain Lake

Window Mountain Lake is a 4.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairmore, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

4.8 km
285 m

off road driving

Moderate hike to Window Mountain Lake. Good vehicle clearance needed to get to the trailhead but easy to find once you get there (follow the small orange spraypainted "WML"s).

This is a great hike for beginners because it offers various terrain from a dirt path in the trees, to steep rocks and is only around 2 hours round trip. There is even a toilet at the top, no walls though, so if you wear a good pair of hiking boots or shoes and you will have no problem making it to the top. The drive in is a rough 14km but the view at the top makes it all worth it.

Little bit difficult to find the trailhead. Once you find it you have a moderate hike for the first .5km which is mostly uphill. Then after that it is an easy hike into the lake. Beautiful lake never busy. Been there a couple times now.

For experienced hikers, this will be an easy, dare I say relaxing, hike. For beginners, like myself, this can be challenging. Completely worth it! If you're worried about the "moderate" level, wear good, sturdy boots for the rocks, bring lots of water and take your time! You've got this!!

Wouldn’t really rate this as a hike, more of a walk due to its extremely short distance and it should be rated as easy, not moderate. The lake was really pretty but didn’t really offer much other then sitting around it. Scrambled up the mountain behind the lake and sat on top which was definitely the best part of the hike.

Beautiful, had the whole place to ourselves.

It was alright. I definitely would say it’s a wee bit harder than moderate! What the reviews lack to include is; the rock wall you have to traverse across.

Don’t get me wrong, the views are totally worth the end goal! Just make sure you’re ready for A steady climb and you’re wearing good shoes!

This is a great hike. The lake is beautiful. If you hike up Mount Ward the view of the Lake is amazing. The trail head however is hard to find.

Great hike! You need a vehicle with some clearance if you want to avoid walking all the way to the trailhead. Getting to the lake was fairly easy but you can continue to Mount Ward and Allison Peak if you want a bit more of a challenge. Seeing the window on Window Mountain was amazing. You can make your way to the window if you are confident enough. Me and my friend didn’t attempt because a pretty nasty storm rolled in on us once we summited Ward. I’ll be returning so that I can make it to the window next time.

Access to the trailhead was super easy. A vehicle with clearance is kinda mandatory when you get off the main road (deep puddles, rocky). My 2000 Grand Cherokee eased through effortlessly.

Did the loop (up to the Window, Allison Peak, Ward Peak, a swim in the lake to cool off). Glad I did it- the weather was cooperative and I saw lotsa cool things (peaks I’d climbed before, a Mountain Goat on the way to Allison). Met a couple of really nice people going up to Ward as well (Bryan and Sandy- thanks for the chat and photos).

Think I’ll do this again, a very enjoyable challenge.

Found the trail head without a problem using this app. My Jeep Trailhawk had no problems navigating the mud holes and rocks, mind you I would have driven anything in there. The first three quarters of the hike up is on a tremendous amount of loose rock and is quite a climb up. Once to the top it was a spectacular sight. A shout out to Mackenzie for posting the mile marker.

The hike itself is beautiful and well marked! Fairly steady climb once you make it to the tree line but quite short :) The main issue we ran into was the drive to the trail head. High vehicle clearance is more or less a necessity; we completed it in a VW Golf but went about 20 km/hr once we hit the true mountain road and ended up driving all over the road in order to avoid bottoming out. We were definitely the only "car" out there! I want to post that the turnoff for the trail head parking area is at Km marker 14. We ended up driving quite far past this turnoff as it is not obvious. Will definitely return again to enjoy both the climb and the reward of the beautiful lake at the top!

Took my 7 year old twins on their first over night backpacking trip here this weekend. It was a perfect introduction to the back country and has lit a fire in them... they didn’t want to leave!

Lots of rock at the beginning of the trail, beautiful view

The road is a bit rough getting in, but a great hike, with beautiful scenery, and not too heavily traveled, don’t forget your fishing rod the fishing was good when we were there.

A great hike with a beautiful view at the end!

Sunday, August 13, 2017