White Buddha via Powderface Trail

White Buddha via Powderface Trail is a 3.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

3.5 km
292 m

rock climbing

Great hike to some fun bouldering and sport routes.

Good quick hike, I did it solo on a Friday after work and it took me about two hours. Had the place entirely to myself. Nice walk through the trees to start and then it’s a good incline with switchbacks to the top.

Great, short hike but probably would not recommend for small children. I took my three kids and they were unable to make it to the top comfortably. Otherwise, really neat terrain and an alright view for the little elevation. There is also a really cool "fairy tale" feeling waterfall right where the trails separate.

Did this one solo in 2.5 hrs (but I was cruising, outrunning some weather... did not want to be up there in a storm). Good shoes highly recommended, some loose rock but found it easy overall. I would do it again!

It is a beautiful short hike around the top it gets a little confusing but not as difficult as some of the moderate hikes like Poceterra South Ridge or opal ridge . I am actually a little confused how the rating for moderate and difficult works . This is definitely not a difficult hike .

Not too bad for a quick half day hike, it’s a nice change from other half day hikes in the area!

Great hike! Like others said, be careful not to miss the trail directly to the right of the pretty little waterfall. The trail goes up quite steeply and appears to almost be an animals trail. The hike is steep and the dirt is loose and easy to slip on but the views are amazing at the top! Great short hike!

We almost got lost because there weren’t any signs. I found it hard but it was all worth it at the top!

We approached the trail to White Buddha (Otherwise known as Vents Ridge) by way of the Powderface Trail on the south side of Powderface Creek. Maps suggested an optional route along the north side but we didn't see the starting point of the north side trail. The trail north from Powderface is pretty clear once you get there but it is easy to miss it when the waterfall catches your eye. My old knees found the trail kind of steep but footing was good and overall the trail up wasn't particularly hard. The cliff face was really great. Obviously well used by climbers. Lots of hardware bolted into the rock. Shale and scree was a bit slippery for the last few feet but not a problem with the right footwear. Beautiful views all around (Calgary is visible some 60 km away). On the way down we found the trail on the north side of Powderface Creek and followed it back to the parking lot. Not easy to pick up the start among the cars but it's there. Overall a good hike.

Maybe I'm a newbie, but found this hike on the harder side. Mostly because I was wearing nikes with no grip. My bad. slipped a couple times on way down. Took us 2 hours up and back. Trailhead is tricky to spot - like another said, you'll see waterfall on left, a few steps back is a dirt trail on the right going up - that's the one. Channel your inner mountain goat and enjoy.

if you do get distracted by the beautiful little waterfall and pool, which we did, you will miss the trail going up - it's only a few feet back on the trail across from the waterfall.

Easy start on the Powderface Trail. No markings for White Buddha, but with the app it’s simple to locate trail up the mountain. Good incline up the mountain, switchbacks all the way up. Couple decent climbs, but not overly stressful. Views at the top are amazing. A Few spots to picnic and take it all in.

Did this hike with 4 boys aged 10-16. The rocks at the end were a great stop for a snack and kept their interest. Pretty easy hike with short steeper final approach. Lots of wildflowers, good quick hike close to the city. I would like to come back here and climb. I would do it again for a quick hike when time is short or with older kids.

I did this hike with a group of 6 ladies in September 2017 and we really enjoyed it. If you have never done it the white Buddha trail was not clearly marked off the powder face trail, we actually walked right past it and figured it out 10 minutes up the path.
The White Buddha had beautiful views all round for how short the incline was.

rock climbing

Went up to climb at the crag to climb and realized I'd never been to the top of the hill! The view was awesome, better than prairie mountain in my opinion. I think this will be my new go to if I want a quick hike without having to commit to a whole day of trekking.

Beautiful, nice and easy hike!

Short hike, beautiful on top, very windy

Nice and short. Steep at some parts. A bit of smashed up stones as you get closer to the top which can be somewhat slippery. Not too tedious and pretty easy overall.

Very short hike roundtrip, about an hour and a half. Beautiful views at the top, mountains in almost all directions. The elevation is a great workout for the legs, hiking poles helpful for the decent.

short trail with a few switchbacks. definitely doable in jeans.

Beautiful trail did the full loop. Powderface, vents ridge other way down and prairie creek trail back to plot on hway 66

Quite a short hike, from the trail head about an hour to the top. Amazing payoff once you're there. Just before the end some loose stones make for a minor challenge. We brought an 11 pound dog and he made it to the peak.

We tried to take the "white Buddha alt route" on the way down but ended up losing the trail. Instead of trail blazing we decided to double back. No worries, just stressed out the missus a bit.

Not an easy hike. Someone previously mentioned this would be a good trail to bring small kids on which I disagree with. The powderface trail is easy and fairly flat but once you hit the white Buddha trail it becomes moderate with quite a few switchbacks. The very end right before the top I would consider moderate-hard as we were practically scrambling on the scree. (We also didn’t have the proper footwear or equipment as we thought if small children could do it, it wouldn’t be necessary. That being said I would recommend hiking boots & poles). As other people have also mentioned it’s easy to miss the White Buddha trail if you’re not paying attention so keep an eye on your map. Once you get to the top the views are breathtaking, one side has lush green mountains and the other has snowy mountains. Took us about 90 minutes to the top (we had also accidentally passed the white Buddha trail by quite a bit and had to turn back) and less than an hour down. Great shorter hike that’s close to the city!

Not the fittest in the world and managed this with plenty of breaks and it is pretty short! Bring hiking poles for coming down as there are a lot of loose rocks. Amazing views at the top. Would definitely recommend

quick trail with some steep parts, but nothing crazy. view up top is great!

What a hike! May 6/18 a tiny bit of snow on Powderface creek trail but once you get to the turn off to White Buddha it’s dry and rocky! Great views at the top and a short trail with easier switchbacks. If you have smaller kids this would be a good option to bring them on. The trail is accessible from the Powderface parking lot and take the Powderface creek trail for around 2km until the turn off. Highly recommended hike if you are just looking for a short, rewarding afternoon hike.

Nice easy little hike with spectacular views!
May 3/18 - lots of snow still and slippery on Powderface Creek Trail but once you start climbing White Buddha it’s completely dry.

Nice short hike with great views at the top (after my first two failed attempts to find the right trail). As the winter gate is still closed (it's the end of April), you have to park at Elbow River Falls and walk to the Powderface parking/picnic area to begin the hike down the Powderface Trail. The map of the local area at the trailhead/parking lot is missing, so try downloading or printing one in advance. As the Powderface Trail parallels the creek in the shade, the trail is still largely snow-covered. However, the trail up White Buddha is completely dry. To not miss the trail up the mountain (like I did twice), hike a little ways beyond the wooden bridge that crosses the creek (if you go now, the creek is still under snow/ice in this area) and keep your eyes peeled to the right-hand side of the trail. If you reach an open gate and fence, you've gone too far. There are no markers indicating the trail. There are a couple of rocks that look somewhat like stone steps as the trail forks off the Powderface Trail and immediately switchbacks in the direction from which you just came beginning your ascent. The trail is short, fairly steep and used by lots of rock climbers (as there are good places to rock climb just before the summit).

Great short trail! Did this last week and took us 65 min to reach the summit, and 40 min to get down at a steady pace. Lots of climbers out at the cliffs. The entire Prairie Mountain trail is still covered with snow and quite slushy in areas. Spikes recommend at this time. White Buddha is quite exposed and the moment you veer of the trail it's quite clear of snow

An awesome little excursion! Steep incline but you get to the top quickly with spectacular views.