White Buddha via Powderface Trail

White Buddha via Powderface Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bragg Creek, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great hike to some fun bouldering and sport routes.

Access from Powderface access point. The parking fills up by noon in June, so get there early.
I'd recommend hiking boots and poles for this trail. The first part is easy but the ascent part has significant sections over jagged loose rock.
We took a slow pace with 3 short breaks and the round-trip was 4 hours in good weather.
There are no signs or markings along this trail until the top, however, you shouldn't find it hard to stay on the trail. Take a left at the marker pole where there is a clear split in the path. The right path does not ascend (at least from what I saw) and I believe it is called the Prairie Link trail. See uploaded photo of the map sign we found at the top. I believe the orange bolt head is the location at this point, and the Powderface Trails from Elbow Falls is the route we took. The Powderface Ridge Trail continues further up but we didn't explore that.
You can see from the map sign that the vista we saw was toward the mountain range that includes:
Remus, Romulus, Fullerton and Howard. I believe Romulus is the prominent whitecap mountain we saw on the left of our panoramic photo (uploaded).

Did it on May 22nd.
Nice trail, took me 2hrs to top and return with a moderate pace, starts with a easy flat walk on a gravel road for 20mins approximately, then diverts to a footpath incline all the way to the top.
View at the top is beautiful.

Awesome hike. The last couple hundred metres involved a couple of breaks, but the view was totally worth it. Could see Calgary in the haze, and the mountains were amazing!

Really great hike overall, great for dogs as well. Did not take to long to get to the top. Once at the top there were stunning rocks and views.

Had a great time climbing this one. Short but steep. Great views at the top.

Great short hike, good elevation and tones of sport climbing routes at top shelf,,,that you can hike around no problem.
We ended up hiking down the south ridge, back to the road to make it a loop.

Excellent trail

Monday, June 06, 2016

This is a great short hike. It took us 2 hours 21 minutes return trip which included stopping atop the ridge for lunch.
The trailhead is powder face creek parking. About 350m -400m after the first bridge crossing over the creek there's a small in assuming foot path on the right going off up the hill. It's the first one you come across. After two switchbacks you have an option to go right or left. Choose left. Then there's 13 more switchbacks that bring you to the base of white Buddha.
Follow white Buddha left on the foot trail, right close to the end of the rock face there's a trail to the left that goes up. That takes you to the ridge. Great views of Prairie Mountain and Elbow Valley.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Close to Calgary. Area looks like it's straight out of the Revenant. Nice gradual incline to get the heart pumping. The path looks like an old Fire Road more than a hiking trail. The stretch going up to White Buddha is steep and I recommend poles. It was too Misty to see The View when I went.