West Wind Pass

West Wind Pass is a 4.5 kilometer out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.5 km
351 m

The West Wind Valley is closed December to June 15th for wildlife safety.

Great hike for me and my two boys (15,22). Had to take some breathers as. I'm not used to the altitude here since I'm from the US Midwest. We actually encountered Gerard Butler (actor) on the trail which was an awesome surprise! The views from the top are absolutely stunning...we had such a great time. Up and down in about 1:40 (we did a fair amount of running on the way back down)...not counting our time taking on the views on top.

Make sure you download the map before going as the trails aren't clearly marked. We accidentally took the mountain bike path and had to double back when we figured that out. It's definitely a great first hike of the season. Steady incline at the beginning.

Something I wish I had known was that there isn’t a really clearly defined trail head, so just park on the side of the road and head up. It’s pretty steep and the path is not super clear, so use your best judgement to get around some of the crazier rocks. I would definitely advise that you only go if you’re okay with a lot of physicality, but it’s beautiful once up at the top! Took us 2 hours round trip, but we also stopped for a lot of pics.

Early season hike May 28 and a lovely choice. A short hike but a good climb at the start. Some fun rocks to ramble on at the top. Gorgeous views all around.

This trail was great first hike of the season for my mom and I. The best part was being able to bypass the busyness at grassi lakes to find a hike that was much better and had hardly any other hikers along the way. Although the sign posted says it opens on June 15th, we went for the May long weekend with no problems. Well marked trail, a few sections of steep incline but doable for a novice hiker. Great view at the top!

Love this easy hike! Gorgeous views with very little effort.

One of my favourite trails, definitely on the easier side. Beautiful views from the top

Took to this trail with very little preparation and as a novice hiker in mid-late November 2017. Beware there was no parking lot nearby so we just ended up parking on the side of the road and leaving a note. The area has received a decent amount of snowfall in the last few days so the surrounding areas of the trail has fresh snow, maybe a foot or more deep in some places. The trail looked to have recently been hiked but we saw no one during our three hours on the trail. We started at about 10. My fiance and I take a lot of pictures so we didn't make it to the top, but we felt that we got close. I highly recommend crampons for hiking during the colder months that the area is still open for the season. There are areas of the trail that were a little slick or loose. Even though we didn't have crampons, we did have water proof boots and that got us through fine. But it would have been safer with the crampons. Even though we were beginners and the conditions were the way they were, the trail felt doable. As long as you have a sense of adventure and are fairly in shape for the conditions, it'll be great. Our breath was taken away during this hike!

Would recommend cleats in the winter. Nice views throughout the hike. Make sure you get on the walking trail and not the biking trail.

One of my favourite hikes. Not too long and worth the views.

Would definitely consider this easy - some moderate incline in places. Was pretty snowed over up at the top. Gorgeous views - great payoff for the work required (took us under an hour up). We went up at ~ 9:30 am (on a Saturday) and we were the only ones on the trail, but passed quite a few groups coming up on our way down.

Nice 1-1.5hr blast up the mountain to the pass for what looked like cracking views albeit blighted by the snow storm that had come in. Vis was down to a few hundred meters at best. Nice 4-5hr excursion from Canmore taking in the scenic Spray Valley lake and old goat glacier.

Difficulty - Medium

We really enjoyed this hike if you want a fairly quick one. An hour up and then a great spot to have a picnic. We really enjoyed the views the whole way. A couple of breaks in the path but just stuck to the right and then saw the markers. We will go back and do the other hike to the top of the ridgline, we were told it takes about hour and half to get up there.

We loved this trail. I had to stop a couple of towns to catch my breathe, but with several stops, a good breakfast and some water you'll do ok if you're not a regular biker (which is me). There was some scrambling, not a lot. We did the hike in about an hour and half up and about an hour down. We had lunch up at the top which was just lovely!! We were told that to make it all the way to the top of the mountain would be an extra hour and a half (up only). And you'd need hikers and sticks for that! We ended the day by dipping our feet in one of the spray lakes! We did see some parents with very young kids and while they did make it up they stopped plenty of times and when we were on our way down after lunch it seems they had made it up top. We had lunch for about 30-40 minutes.
Ranked: Moderate
Views: awesome

Would rank this one as easy. Did it within an hour to the top. Nice spot for snacks.

Great moderate hike. We were at the top in 1hr, stayed about 25mins (windy!) and then about 40mins to get down. When you hit the fork at about 800m on the way up, stay right - everything else was pretty easy to follow.

Beautiful hike! We were on the mountain for about 3.5hrs, that's including taking photo and water breaks on the way up and an hour break at the top to take in the views, snack, explore and take more photos. The path does kind of break off into different paths sometimes which caused us to have to double back a couple times; about halfway up it looks like the trail continues to go upward but then becomes very steep and slightly scary before disappearing, if you look around just before then you'll see someone's put orange markers around the area to help direct you towards the right direction which is through some slated rocks (hence why I think so many people follow the 'trail' and go the wrong way up). I'd recommend to stay on the more rooted paths as well as they make for an easier climb (acting kind of like stairs) and much safer descent (we accidentally ventured onto a dirt path and it got very steep and slippery on the way down and we ended up going back to where the paths had split and went back to the more rooted trail). The whole trail itself is a great moderate level hike, we had hiking boots and poles but probably didn't need the poles (it does get steep at some points but I found myself carrying my pole more than using it, just personal preference) and there was the beautiful reservoir at the bottom that we dipped our feet in afterwards and saw others picnicking and paddle boarding on. I've received many compliments on my photos from the hike and it's just a short hour and a half drive from Calgary (just above Canmore and grassi lakes)! Although as other people have mentioned during the last stretch of the drive the road becomes very rough and gravely with lots of dirt - the license plate on our SUV almost feel off! - so beware.

What a great easy trek, with an amazing view

Enjoyed this trail both up and down. Going to bring our dog back next time. Probably 10 dogs on the trail today.

Good heart rate booster. Straight up. Straight down.

Straight up to the saddle. Amazing views of Spray Lakes to the west and the Bow Valley to the East.

Escape the crowds. Beautiful views.

Short hike with a stunning view! The road to get there is a bit harsh, but it's worth it.

This is by far one of my favorite hikes. The views there are fantastic, and the wind makes it so easy to cool off on a sunny day. For anyone looking for a hike that's not too difficult and loves photography, this is the one for you.

good views along the way in the breaks, shaded in trees for the most part. really enjoyed this, beautiful views on a beautiful day! love this area and love that it's pet friendly. the signage isn't the most helpful if you're using spurling Creek as a landmark

As others have said, the hike was a little shorter than I thought. I made it to the pass in about an hour. For a short hike the views were amazing! Get an early start if you can, the mid day sun was a bit harsh for the photos

Still one of my favourites in the area. Just the right combo of steep hard work and reward at the top. Views at a number of points on the way up (looking behind you) are great too.

A short hike but some steep inclines. The views at the top of the pass overlooking the valley were so beautiful! I would do this hike again

My first hike in The Canmore area. Very very dusty gravelly road to trail head for about 10 km that was the only downfall. The hike starts at a trailhead across the road from parking and is a woodsy path with many tree roots acting as 'stairs'. Much steep sections but doable as several other hikers had their babies in backpacks

I banged this hike out a few days ago. though the top of the pass was very windy the views were amazing. I was with a first timer on a mountain so it took us 2 1/2 hours to get to the top, thoigh could easily be done on just over an hour. The thing i liked most being with a novice was there were some steep elevation pitches, but a lot of flat walks for easy recovery. I will be heading back up soon to summit the tower. Lots of wildlife so keep your eyes peeled! cheers folks. J.