West Wind Pass

West Wind Pass is a 4.5 kilometer out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.5 km
344 m

Took to this trail with very little preparation and as a novice hiker in mid-late November 2017. Beware there was no parking lot nearby so we just ended up parking on the side of the road and leaving a note. The area has received a decent amount of snowfall in the last few days so the surrounding areas of the trail has fresh snow, maybe a foot or more deep in some places. The trail looked to have recently been hiked but we saw no one during our three hours on the trail. We started at about 10. My fiance and I take a lot of pictures so we didn't make it to the top, but we felt that we got close. I highly recommend crampons for hiking during the colder months that the area is still open for the season. There are areas of the trail that were a little slick or loose. Even though we didn't have crampons, we did have water proof boots and that got us through fine. But it would have been safer with the crampons. Even though we were beginners and the conditions were the way they were, the trail felt doable. As long as you have a sense of adventure and are fairly in shape for the conditions, it'll be great. Our breath was taken away during this hike!

Would recommend cleats in the winter. Nice views throughout the hike. Make sure you get on the walking trail and not the biking trail.

One of my favourite hikes. Not too long and worth the views.

Would definitely consider this easy - some moderate incline in places. Was pretty snowed over up at the top. Gorgeous views - great payoff for the work required (took us under an hour up). We went up at ~ 9:30 am (on a Saturday) and we were the only ones on the trail, but passed quite a few groups coming up on our way down.

Nice 1-1.5hr blast up the mountain to the pass for what looked like cracking views albeit blighted by the snow storm that had come in. Vis was down to a few hundred meters at best. Nice 4-5hr excursion from Canmore taking in the scenic Spray Valley lake and old goat glacier.

Difficulty - Medium

We really enjoyed this hike if you want a fairly quick one. An hour up and then a great spot to have a picnic. We really enjoyed the views the whole way. A couple of breaks in the path but just stuck to the right and then saw the markers. We will go back and do the other hike to the top of the ridgline, we were told it takes about hour and half to get up there.

We loved this trail. I had to stop a couple of towns to catch my breathe, but with several stops, a good breakfast and some water you'll do ok if you're not a regular biker (which is me). There was some scrambling, not a lot. We did the hike in about an hour and half up and about an hour down. We had lunch up at the top which was just lovely!! We were told that to make it all the way to the top of the mountain would be an extra hour and a half (up only). And you'd need hikers and sticks for that! We ended the day by dipping our feet in one of the spray lakes! We did see some parents with very young kids and while they did make it up they stopped plenty of times and when we were on our way down after lunch it seems they had made it up top. We had lunch for about 30-40 minutes.
Ranked: Moderate
Views: awesome

Would rank this one as easy. Did it within an hour to the top. Nice spot for snacks.

Great moderate hike. We were at the top in 1hr, stayed about 25mins (windy!) and then about 40mins to get down. When you hit the fork at about 800m on the way up, stay right - everything else was pretty easy to follow.

Beautiful hike! We were on the mountain for about 3.5hrs, that's including taking photo and water breaks on the way up and an hour break at the top to take in the views, snack, explore and take more photos. The path does kind of break off into different paths sometimes which caused us to have to double back a couple times; about halfway up it looks like the trail continues to go upward but then becomes very steep and slightly scary before disappearing, if you look around just before then you'll see someone's put orange markers around the area to help direct you towards the right direction which is through some slated rocks (hence why I think so many people follow the 'trail' and go the wrong way up). I'd recommend to stay on the more rooted paths as well as they make for an easier climb (acting kind of like stairs) and much safer descent (we accidentally ventured onto a dirt path and it got very steep and slippery on the way down and we ended up going back to where the paths had split and went back to the more rooted trail). The whole trail itself is a great moderate level hike, we had hiking boots and poles but probably didn't need the poles (it does get steep at some points but I found myself carrying my pole more than using it, just personal preference) and there was the beautiful reservoir at the bottom that we dipped our feet in afterwards and saw others picnicking and paddle boarding on. I've received many compliments on my photos from the hike and it's just a short hour and a half drive from Calgary (just above Canmore and grassi lakes)! Although as other people have mentioned during the last stretch of the drive the road becomes very rough and gravely with lots of dirt - the license plate on our SUV almost feel off! - so beware.

What a great easy trek, with an amazing view

Enjoyed this trail both up and down. Going to bring our dog back next time. Probably 10 dogs on the trail today.

Good heart rate booster. Straight up. Straight down.

Straight up to the saddle. Amazing views of Spray Lakes to the west and the Bow Valley to the East.

Escape the crowds. Beautiful views.

Short hike with a stunning view! The road to get there is a bit harsh, but it's worth it.

This is by far one of my favorite hikes. The views there are fantastic, and the wind makes it so easy to cool off on a sunny day. For anyone looking for a hike that's not too difficult and loves photography, this is the one for you.

good views along the way in the breaks, shaded in trees for the most part. really enjoyed this, beautiful views on a beautiful day! love this area and love that it's pet friendly. the signage isn't the most helpful if you're using spurling Creek as a landmark

As others have said, the hike was a little shorter than I thought. I made it to the pass in about an hour. For a short hike the views were amazing! Get an early start if you can, the mid day sun was a bit harsh for the photos

Still one of my favourites in the area. Just the right combo of steep hard work and reward at the top. Views at a number of points on the way up (looking behind you) are great too.