West Wind Pass

West Wind Pass is a 4.7 kilometer out and back trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.7 km
356 m

The West Wind Valley is closed December to June 15th for wildlife safety.

Absolutely loved this hike. Said wow about a hundred times. We took 55 minutes up and 45 minutes coming down. A great weeknight hike, or would hike up in the morning with a pack full of fun for the day to enjoy the pass if the weather is nice.

Did this hike today with our boxer, 6,9 and 14 years olds kids, Great hike with a wonderful view from the top. If your kids are not used to climbing and hiking, this is not a right trail for you, lots of cliffs and slippery spot coming down. Keep right!! We went left just because and that trail was more advanced. 7km to and back from bottom to some of the smaller trails up top. Up hill the whole way there. Bring lots of water.

really nice views at the "top". Because this is a hike that is between mountains you won't get the same pay off but for the effort it's worth it. like everyone else has said, keep right and you'll be fine. we brought out dog with us and she had no problems. I found this hike to be easy, no technical parts or tough way finding. It took us and hour up and 45 min down. If I do this hike again I will definitely continue on to the wind tower trail.

Didn't make it to summit haha. This is the second time I've attempted this. The first time was with a friend who wasnt keen on heights and we had to turn back within the first 10 minutes. And yesterday, when we climbed everything but the proper trail. Absolutely keep right. When it looks like the trail is going down, keep right. At the inukshuk and a rock face, keep right. And If you start doing something that's similar to a scramble - you are on wrong trail. Wore wrong shoes, again, and by time we figured out right trail our nerves and legs were shot. Third times the charm? :)

Did this hike yesterday with my 12 and 13 year olds. We are intermediate hikers and have done many hikes in this area. We all rated this trail ok. We did not have any problems keeping to the trail, we found a trick on one of the other comments to stay right if the trail forks and look for duct taped trees as markers- worked great. The views from the top are pretty. Overall, it was a decent trail.

Great easy hike to bring your out of town relatives. I’ve done it twice now and there’s a section near the end that we seem to never find straight forward in terms of staying on the trail. Usually takes a couple minutes and you find it, but every time there seem to be people that go the wrong way. It definitely needs to be better marked. Just note if you start doing a scramble, you are going the wrong way.

West Wind Pass is beautiful short hike..little tricky at closer to the end. It’s not marked well but follow the trail, most trails heading towards Pass is on right side, ppl often leave marks such as bunch of rocks on unmarked trail to guide un-experience hikers.! Enjoy

A great hike with beautiful views!

Great Hike! It’s short but worth the views. There are clear markings at the beginning of the trail and then it gets a bit confusing but either way we got there!

This is a great hike. The payoff for a shorter hike is insane. The views are amazing. It is pretty much up the whole way however it does level out periodically for a break. Every so often. We did it in 4 hours with lunch at the top and time for exploring and pictures. Be sure to always stay to the right there’s many opportunities to wander of the main trail but if you stay right and lower instead of higher you will be fine. Bring a jacket for the top it’s windy! Get out there and Hike Alberta. ! Join us on instagram at @hike.alberta and on Facebook at Hike Alberta.

very beautiful! the steep incline lasts 90% of the hike but the view is completely worth it! dress cool and wear sunscreen, you’ll be in the sun most of the time ☀️

Trails are poorly defined. Views are great. Steep sections are a bit dicey.

Great first hike of the season. Moderate uphill for about 45 min, then it gets slightly easier. Views are incredible. Hiking poles recommended.

Straight uphill climb but the views are worth it. Highly recommend hiking poles.

Great hike for me and my two boys (15,22). Had to take some breathers as. I'm not used to the altitude here since I'm from the US Midwest. We actually encountered Gerard Butler (actor) on the trail which was an awesome surprise! The views from the top are absolutely stunning...we had such a great time. Up and down in about 1:40 (we did a fair amount of running on the way back down)...not counting our time taking on the views on top.

Make sure you download the map before going as the trails aren't clearly marked. We accidentally took the mountain bike path and had to double back when we figured that out. It's definitely a great first hike of the season. Steady incline at the beginning.

Something I wish I had known was that there isn’t a really clearly defined trail head, so just park on the side of the road and head up. It’s pretty steep and the path is not super clear, so use your best judgement to get around some of the crazier rocks. I would definitely advise that you only go if you’re okay with a lot of physicality, but it’s beautiful once up at the top! Took us 2 hours round trip, but we also stopped for a lot of pics.

Early season hike May 28 and a lovely choice. A short hike but a good climb at the start. Some fun rocks to ramble on at the top. Gorgeous views all around.

This trail was great first hike of the season for my mom and I. The best part was being able to bypass the busyness at grassi lakes to find a hike that was much better and had hardly any other hikers along the way. Although the sign posted says it opens on June 15th, we went for the May long weekend with no problems. Well marked trail, a few sections of steep incline but doable for a novice hiker. Great view at the top!

Love this easy hike! Gorgeous views with very little effort.

One of my favourite trails, definitely on the easier side. Beautiful views from the top

Took to this trail with very little preparation and as a novice hiker in mid-late November 2017. Beware there was no parking lot nearby so we just ended up parking on the side of the road and leaving a note. The area has received a decent amount of snowfall in the last few days so the surrounding areas of the trail has fresh snow, maybe a foot or more deep in some places. The trail looked to have recently been hiked but we saw no one during our three hours on the trail. We started at about 10. My fiance and I take a lot of pictures so we didn't make it to the top, but we felt that we got close. I highly recommend crampons for hiking during the colder months that the area is still open for the season. There are areas of the trail that were a little slick or loose. Even though we didn't have crampons, we did have water proof boots and that got us through fine. But it would have been safer with the crampons. Even though we were beginners and the conditions were the way they were, the trail felt doable. As long as you have a sense of adventure and are fairly in shape for the conditions, it'll be great. Our breath was taken away during this hike!

Would recommend cleats in the winter. Nice views throughout the hike. Make sure you get on the walking trail and not the biking trail.

One of my favourite hikes. Not too long and worth the views.

Would definitely consider this easy - some moderate incline in places. Was pretty snowed over up at the top. Gorgeous views - great payoff for the work required (took us under an hour up). We went up at ~ 9:30 am (on a Saturday) and we were the only ones on the trail, but passed quite a few groups coming up on our way down.

Nice 1-1.5hr blast up the mountain to the pass for what looked like cracking views albeit blighted by the snow storm that had come in. Vis was down to a few hundred meters at best. Nice 4-5hr excursion from Canmore taking in the scenic Spray Valley lake and old goat glacier.

Difficulty - Medium

We really enjoyed this hike if you want a fairly quick one. An hour up and then a great spot to have a picnic. We really enjoyed the views the whole way. A couple of breaks in the path but just stuck to the right and then saw the markers. We will go back and do the other hike to the top of the ridgline, we were told it takes about hour and half to get up there.

We loved this trail. I had to stop a couple of towns to catch my breathe, but with several stops, a good breakfast and some water you'll do ok if you're not a regular biker (which is me). There was some scrambling, not a lot. We did the hike in about an hour and half up and about an hour down. We had lunch up at the top which was just lovely!! We were told that to make it all the way to the top of the mountain would be an extra hour and a half (up only). And you'd need hikers and sticks for that! We ended the day by dipping our feet in one of the spray lakes! We did see some parents with very young kids and while they did make it up they stopped plenty of times and when we were on our way down after lunch it seems they had made it up top. We had lunch for about 30-40 minutes.
Ranked: Moderate
Views: awesome

Would rank this one as easy. Did it within an hour to the top. Nice spot for snacks.

Great moderate hike. We were at the top in 1hr, stayed about 25mins (windy!) and then about 40mins to get down. When you hit the fork at about 800m on the way up, stay right - everything else was pretty easy to follow.