Volcano Ridge and Gorge Creek Loop is a 13.8 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

13.8 km
529 m

Finished the loop today with my family (husband and teenagers). Flat portion in had quite a few cows in the pasture, so you had to watch where you stepped. The gorge is really beautiful. Entering the fork in the road we chose to hike the loop counter clockwise (right). A few grizzly tracks in the wet portions of the trail, but they were old and the only animals we saw were the cows and a grouse. Good elevation up to the top will get you feeling like you are burning calories but stunning views once you get there. Nicely maintained trail, well marked, saw two other people at the top.

It’s hard to give it a real review because I didn’t make it very far. Maybe 6 of the total km... I just had an uneasy feeling so I turned around... I made it back to the clearing and little creek and encountered THREE large (very large) grizzly bears. It was just me and my dog. She was on leash and thankfully I didn’t startle them. It was very unnerving to be out numbered. One seemed interested in my dog and I but I just kept talking in a calm, yet slightly louder (not shouting) voice and told it it needed to go back up that hill. It listened and we were able to pass and they turned around after following us for a short while.

I would have enjoyed seeing more... it was a pretty easy yet muddy hike. Horses had been through earlier that day. The trailer was still there.

I hiked the unofficial trail up to the south ridge and then beyond to Volcano Ridge. This is a great hike with beautiful views. The trail is reasonably well marked. At about 2.5 k after entering the trees you cross a creek and the trail splits. Take the right hand fork and a few metres in look for flagging for a trail to the left and up thru pines.

we also added going to south volcano ridge and volcano ridge trail up to volcano ridge beautiful views signs and trails hard to follow at times

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

All trails needs to be updated.... the loop trail includes a trail that has been decommissioned.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Great trail - A bit steep on the mountain itself but pretty flat otherwise. Take the new trail down the middle marked with flagging tape to get the best views.

Sunday, July 23, 2017