Mount Hoffman Trail

Mount Hoffman Trail is a 8.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

8.7 km
531 m

I agree, my wife and I both liked this trail a lot. We hiked on Sept 20. It was bitter cold and windy at the top with snow threatening across into Mount Gibraltar. I was looking for a fairly short trail with a good view of the mountains covered in early snow and this one fit the bill. The trail was easy to follow. The confusing section through the old growth forest at the top of the ridge was well travelled and marked with flagging tape. I can imagine the situation changes constantly as more deadfall collects in the area. The section up to the forest is steep but manageable. One might expect switchbacks up the slope but this time it's like Prairie Mountain, straight up. I was pleasantly surprised by the bare rock knob on top. I thought the trail ended in a high meadow but the summit was bare, windswept rock just metres above tree line. The short detour to the area called The Knobs is worthwhile for a place to rest and have some water. We found 2 Geocaches, quite by accident, one in the meadow at the old logging camp and a second on top. Construction of the new bridge over the Sheep River has created a great opportunity to hike Mount Hoffmann. On a good day Calgary can be seen 38 miles to the north east (see photos).

I liked this hike a lot. It was a tough climb near the top but we made up with our 8 and 11 year old kids. The coolest part was walking at top through all the trees that got blown over.

We picked an amazing day to check out this hike in sheep river valley. A beautiful sunny day with the foster pup and my wife. The hike goes from a steady uphill to a steep , but manageable hike through the thicker forest near the summit. Walking poles or Mother Nature supplied ones highly recommended. Stick to following the marking tape and you're good to go. Amazing views to reward you at the top. Great tip from a kindred hiker....bring a "cold beverage" ;) to celebrate the accomplishment.