Upper Kananaskis Lake Trail

Upper Kananaskis Lake Trail is a 15.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

15.3 km
453 m

bridge out

So beautiful, even in snowy spring!

Great hike with lots of different things to see. Took a few breaks for pictures, lunch and enjoy the scenery. The hike is quite easy but the distance adds a bit of a challenge if you’re not ready. The area by the land slide is a little challenging as well so be prepared. Went and sat by the lake to cool off after we were done. Will definitely do it again!

Love this walk. Becoming one of my favorites to do. Lots of wildlife to be seen. Did encounter a bear in the parking lot 2 weeks ago. A really easy hike and can be done in 3 hours. Worth packing a lunch and taking your time. Enjoy the waters

We just completed the loop today. Weather was perfect except it was a bit smokey. If you start at the boat launch parking lot to circle the lake clockwise, it is a bit of a tougher workout. One of my favorite, long, non "climbing" hikes. :)

Favourite hike so far! Views for days! So many different types of scenery, waterfalls, lakes, Rockies, trees. Was beautiful and peaceful. Only saw about 6 people on it when I did it. I started at 8am only took me about 3 and a half hours. Pretty easy.

Saw a beautiful male moose on the way to the hike!

Pretty easy day hike. Took about 5 hours.

So close to Calgary. What a gem
of a hike...I am surprised I haven’t done it before. Gorgeous lake and a great trail with waterfalls. It was a long hike but well worth it!

Great day for a great hike. Although the trail signage was good, I loved using the All Trail GPS map. Found the reviews/comments from previous hikers very helpful!

We did it in four hours including breaks and photos. Best part was the wildlife we saw, a loon in the lake, 2 moose by the roadside mud pit and mother bear with cubs in the parking lot :-)

Ps. Don’t forget to bring bug spray and a stop at the waterfall roughly halfway.

We did maybe a quarter of this, went to some waterfalls, and then back. We had a 6 year old, and 4 year old who were walking, and a newborn and 2 year old on our backs in carriers. We picnicked by the big waterfall. It was perfect for our little guys to go that far and then back. Such a pretty trail too.

Beautiful trail, we had perfect weather on July 14/18. Trail is pretty popular, definitely easy as it’s got very little elevation gain, has wonderful views from most of the trail and lots of shade. It’s only moderate because it is so long, my GPS came in at about 17km. This trail took us 6 hours including lots of stops for lunch and quick breaks. It was our second hike of the year and we generally only hike a few times a year so we are not the most experienced/in shape hikers. We even saw a mama grizzly and cubs as we left the parking lot around 8pm.

It was awesome! Had little of everything, wildlife , waterfalls, mountains and a beautiful lake. Had a wonderful 4 hour hike with my wife and daughter.

Great views! Fairly easy hike with a little bit of everything.

Beautiful trail

This lake has gorgeous views and a variety of terrain. Not too challenging for a beginner.

Southern half is prettier, I think, but Northern half has some spectacular views and runs closer to the lake.

This hike was beautiful, featuring some amazing views and some cool white water. The hike itself is fairly flat and easy going with a fair portion of the northern leg of the trail covered in small rocks.

It is a fairly long hike, so be prepared to be on the trail for several hours.

A gorgeous hike about 15km long! The variety of terrain kept things exciting, with lots of great views of the lake. The terrain isn’t too challenging but it is a long hike so that makes it on the more moderate side. We did this hike while camping at Lower Lakes campground, it was just a 5 minute drive away. It took us 5 hours to complete the hike with a few short breaks. The mosquitos are bad so stopping for too long wasn’t comfortable. It also seems like a lovely spot for a picnic and a stroll if you’re looking for something more causal in Kananaskis. This hike is also joined to Rawson Lake hike which is 3km.

So beautiful and so many different terrains to see! It’s a long one but worth it!

So gorgeous. Couldnt complete the loop today because of time constraints but beauty everywhere...from the colors of the skies,woods and water, to the exquisite shapes and colors of small wild flowers along the trail. Can’t wait to walk the whole loop.

Definitely one of my favourite hikes! Lots of variety in terrain. Lots of different views! Make sure to bring a warm jacket. We did this hike yesterday (June 12) and the wind coming off the lake was freezing!

I hike this Trail several times every year because I like the variety and the length. There is light traffic on this loop although I find it gets busier around the mid afternoon. it is also a great spot Lake easily accessible from the parking lot. I have yet to bring a canoe out of here, but I'm eagerly looking to do so in the near future.

I liked the variety of terrain this hike offered, the lake views, and the waterfalls.

Did this hike may long weekend, still a bunch of snow on the ground. Otherwise a great hike suitable for families and dogs. Took our group about 4.5 hrs with a few stops along the way.

We hiked Oct 29, 2016. It was a great day for a hike. We parked at the North Interlakes Day Use area and did the trail clockwise. Views were great, the lake was so calm that it mirrored the mountains perfectly. The rocky beaches were full of drift wood, some structures were built and it had an otherworldly feel. I took hundreds of photos.

Like some others, we had some way finding in the last few km, in snow. The area was pretty dense with trees and could lose bearings fairly easy without having site line with the lake. We made it though, saw some grouse on the way out.

It is beautiful, even if you just do north parking lot to south parking lot you have great scenery and photo opportunities. Would do this again.

We hiked the entire trail clockwise from the southern-most parking lot. The final 2 or 3 km to the Point campground was not well travelled or marked, and was difficult to follow (in snow of course, would be easier without). As well, the final 4.5 km or so between the North and South parking lot was also difficult to follow - not well travelled and we broke trail for about half of it. Several hikers were unprepared for the amount of snow. Snowshoes are a good idea if you're hiking it anytime soon.

Nice views on the lake and mountains around. Only went halfway starting left side, there was too much snow on the trail, snowshoes recommended at this period or you won't be able to do the loop in one day.

Classic Kananaskis hike, one of my favourites.