Upper Bertha Falls and Bertha Lake Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(343)
Waterton Lakes National Park

Upper Bertha Falls and Bertha Lake Trail is a 9.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Improvement District No. 4, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.8 km Elevation Gain: 550 m Route Type: Out & Back

icy

I’ve hiked this trail multiple times, but this was my first time in -20 degrees with snow. We went January 12th, so after all the warm weather I’m not sure what the trail looks like now. About twenty minutes in there was the aftermath of an avalanche that had blocked the trail. A short hike around the avalanche brought us back to the main trail. We only made it to the look out and turned around due to the cold and depth of snow :) we hadn’t brought snowshoes or spikes with us. But a fun short little walk either way !

awesome. must go all the way to lake and take a swim. all part of the experience.

First day of snow just my luck but still a really nice hike and very quiet today. I'd go back and camp. The red gravel beaches would be awesome on a sunny day.

Was beautiful trail! Easy at the beginning. Does get a little bit more challenging past the falls! So worth going up and around the lake!

Beautiful easy hike, with a rewarding view at the end my and my dog do this atleast once a week, just wish people knew trail etiquette

Trailhead is right in the village of Waterton. The hike is fairly easy, at the beginning and gets progressively steeper after the lower falls. When you descend down the final approach to the lake anticipation sets in and you are not disappointed. Surrounding the lake are the magnificent Rockies. Just stand there and take it all in. There is a trail that circles the lake but we didn't do it as it started to shower. An awesome afternoon hike or make it a day. An amazing day hike I would recommend to anyone.

Easy hike to the falls. Then killer uphill climb to the lake. But worth it. Lake and surrounding mountains are beautiful

This was a great hike with my dog. I did not expect as much of an incline & all of the switch backs but it was well worth it once we reached the lake!

Third time doing Bertha Lake & it was great tho views very different from my last time which was before the fire. Nice to see new growth! My daughter hiked this with me and this was her second time doing this trail. It’s a really good hike to break a sweat & a great way to spend part of your day. Switchbacks with a steady incline but not crazy steep for the most part.

The hike to the falls, about halfway to the lake, is at the easy end of moderate and well worth it even if you don't have time to go to the lake. The lake itself is beautiful, but be prepared for a real workout getting there.

Great beginner trail. Can be done in an hour to the Lake at a fast pace. However, did not notice any upper falls to really make note of compared to the lower falls.

A great hike! I did the lake loop and this app stopped recording a few times, so it was about 14km for the loop! A nice easy climb with 27 switchbacks from Bertha falls to the lake! A great hike for beginners, and fun for those more exercised.

Really friendly hike through some beautiful country. Wish I’d had time to walk around the lake at the end of the trail, but even without it was gorgeous.

This was a great hike, we took our two year old daughter and dog. The toddler was able to do most of it. She tired out a couple Kms passed the falls and we carried her on the steeper switch backs. It’s a fairly busy trail but lots of room to pass or let others pass. It took us about four and half hours including a long lunch at the lake.

A nice but moderate hike in Waterton National Park. Hike upto the falls in easy going but gets steep after that for next 3 kms. Nice views at the lake. Recommend to do lake loop in clockwise direction and you will get nice views after hiking few kilometres. Trail is bust but is narrow at some places, so has has to stop to let other pass. Overall it’s a nice hike and worth doing it.

It was nice to see lots of greens along the areas affected by the fire years ago. Much of the trail going to the lake was spared though which is a big relief ---makes you appreciate all the rain we got this year. The hike to the falls was fairly easy then it becomes challenging with all the switchbacks going to the lake. The views by the lake was very rewarding. There's even a campground :) Had a nice lunch and chat with friends before we hiked back. We started early at 8AM and it was really busy when we returned at around 1PM.

Forest is heavily burned out from the wildfires. I'm probably spoiled from having just hiked for a week in glacier, but the scenary wasn't the same level.

As a beginner hiker, this was a challenge, but a good one! It gets tougher after the falls, but we met lots of friendly encouraging people making their way down as we neared the lake. Absolutely worth the effort! My 11 year old handled the trek without a problem.

Great hike, brought a 6 and 8 yr old on the trails and they loved it.

Great hike, easy way up to the falls, but it gets harder when you pass the falls on the way to the lake. I would recommend arriving there as early as possible to avoid big crowds.

That was quite busy till the falls, then almost nobody. Easy trail from the beginning till the falls, and it's getting harder in the end by the lake. Really nice hike looking forward for the Crypt Lake one!

Super randonnée avec bon dénivelé Effort soutenu et peu d ombre car dans la zone brûlée Vue absolument magnifique qui vaut l’effort et que dire de s’y tremper les pieds Du pur bonheur Rando avec nos 2 ados 12-13 ans 2:30 à la montée et même temps au retour avec un bon arrêt aux cascades avec un dîner fort relaxe à se promener autour du lac Super !!!!

Busy trail with lots of traffic until you get past the falls. Trek to Bertha Lake is worth it if you reward yourself with a swim in the lake.

Fun trail with lots of great views. After the falls is a harder uphill climb, but well worth it once you get to the lake. We took 3.5 hrs to complete with lots of stops to enjoy the views and lunch by the lake. We didn’t loop around the lake. We took our 2 large dogs and they did great.