Upper Bertha Falls and Bertha Lake Trail

Upper Bertha Falls and Bertha Lake Trail is a 9.8 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterton, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.8 km
550 m

A nice easy hike, can be a bit crowded as the lower portion is very popular, but spectacular lake at the end, great to have lunch at. I hope it reopens this year.

This hike is currently closed as a result of the wildfire but stay tuned as it may open midsummer. Its a great family hike to beautiful falls. A similar option is Rainbow Falls but you need to take the boat cruise and your passport.

Classic hike in the Watertown area. Be sure to take a lunch for a picnic on a small beach at the lake.

Loved this hike- beautiful falls and spectacular lake- saw some swimmers in lake and bear was in vicinity but we never saw- would recommend for sure.

Only did the lower falls. Beautiful trail though with 5 and 6 year old daughters.

crowded

It was a gorgeous day, with a slight breeze and cooler temperatures. No wildlife, but we had the lake to ourselves as we walked around it.

We stayed at Bertha Bay and loved it. Short easy hike.

Overall a good hike. The trail is often crowded on the weekends between the trailhead and the lower falls. After the lower falls, the trail becomes significantly steeper and is only switchbacks until you get to the lake. There is a trail the goes around the lake and backcountry camping.

Beautiful hike up to an amazing waterfalls and then onto a gorgeous alpine lake. There are 3 waterfalls. This is definitely a one place to go.

You get an extra bonus when you hike all the way around the lake!

Aug 2016
Falls and lake both worth the hike!

Beautiful trail with a lot of wildflowers, love it!

Loved this hike! Didn't know there was a back country camping spot with an outhouse at the top! Beautiful views, good workout! Waterton is always a treat! About 4hr return moderate hike.

Beautiful views of Waterton Lake.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Didn't make the Upper Falls as still too much snow. Good walk anyway.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Would have been great but it is still snowed in. We made it farther than most since we had poles and proper hikers on, but still couldn't make it to the lake. The falls are beautiful though! I'd love to try again in summer.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

We hiked Bertha Lake trail yesterday but unfortunately, due to the snow, we weren't able to make it all the way to the lake. About 3/4 of the way up we hit feet upon feet of snow, no trails or signs of trail left, and didn't have snowshoes to go any further. After turning around and making our way down we took the detour to Bertha Bay. The only wildlife we saw was the Big Horn Sheep and its baby that followed us on the Bay trail and some paw prints at the top in all the snow.
Great day for a hike.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great 1/2 day hike. Take a lunch and dine lakeside!

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

My dad took us on this trip ages ago - it must have been in the late 90's. I still remember him jumping bare-butt into the lake and coming up screaming due to the cold. Haha - good memories. Would like to do this one again someday. We were able to get an 'off-road' stroller with a toddler in and out without issues.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This was an easy hike with limited views. The Bertha falls were the half way point and also were most of the tourism stops, because from here on, the real climbing begins.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Didn't go all the way to the lake, only to the falls as we ran out of time! However it was a very well marked and maintained trail with beautiful views all along Waterton Lake. The water was low enough mid summer to climb on the first waterfall. The second waterfall was a beautiful curtain! Can't wait to go back to this one and make it all the way to the lake!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Beautiful hike up to the falls. A great beginner or family hike. I personally don't think the remainder of the trail up to the Lake is worth it.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

good hike for the family.

Monday, July 11, 2016

A nice easy hike to the falls. The kids weren't too challenged. Great views.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

We only went as far as the falls. Moderately easy trail to do with kids. Breathtaking views

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

awesome, great hike to a beautiful waterfall. didn't go all the way to the lake.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Great trail. Good for those with kids. I remember doing this trail when my siblings were younger. I think my brother was 4. I have done this trail a few times since then too. Pretty views of the Upper Waterton Lake for a lot of the trail and the Falls are pretty too. Not too steep of a climb to get to the falls either.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Perfect day for a snowshoe up to the lower falls 9C. Was this really January? Had the entire trail to ourselves. Didn't venture much past the bridge as the Northeast facing slopes seemed prone to Avalanche.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

We needed to get on the road, and hadn't time to wander too far. This was perfect! I short jaunt up to a waterfall with springing wildflowers all along the way! We saw a few deer and found tons of different flowers! It was a perfect early morning hike which gave us plenty of time to get on the road. Next time I'm in Waterton, I will try to make it all the way to the lake!