Learn more

The Palisade Lookout is a 13.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jasper, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.4 miles Elevation Gain: 3,759 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I’m not terribly out of shape, and I knew this trail was rated hard, but that was hard! To be honest, I pushed my bike up the majority of the trail. The road up to Pyramid is in great condition, wide and dry. After the turnoff to the Palisades, it get very beary: narrow path, bushes on both sides. I was getting so tired but couldn’t stop because of the bugs. The last half dozen switchbacks (I lost count) were so draining that I actually thought that if a bear jumped out I’d at least get a rest while he was chewing on my leg. The end result: absolutely fantastic view! Well worth the torture. And the best part? I had a bike to coast down 12k!

05/24/2020 a bit past where the trail splits off from the pyramid summit trail the snow begins. at first it’s about ankle deep and fairly manageable. eventually you end up in knee - waist deep snow. it definitely slowed us down but we pushed through to the summit. one person in our group had snowshoes and she was cruising. if you’re going soon & you’ve got ‘em, bring ‘em! you’re in the tree line 90% of this hike so bring good company. the views at the top are really lovely though! near the start of the trail there was a very territorial grouse that gave us some trouble when passing, both ways.

Trail mostly covered with snow at the 8 or 9km point but you can post hole for a little farther beyond that. We stopped about 1km from the lookout due to waist deep snow. Still some good views near the top though!

Enjoyable hike, did it in April with waste deep snow in most places, recommend to do in summer unless you have snowshoes.

Mon Jul 01 2019

This was fairly straight up. Pushed the bikes most of the way to the top, was sure glad to have them to bomb down. Not much for a view 90% of the hike until the top and a couple lookouts on the way. Be prepared to have your legs burn! :)

Thu Aug 09 2018

Trail isn’t very scenic as you are hiking up a fire road most of the way up. Views at the top are definitely spectacular though! Took us about 5.5 hours with minimal breaks on the way up and only about 30 min at the top for lunch.

Mon Oct 10 2016