The Big Beehive Trail

The Big Beehive Trail is a 10.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.3 km
647 m

A decent little hike if you want to get away from the crowds at Lake Agnes. Incredible views of Lake Louise and if you want, you can get a pic of mirror lake and lake Louise in the same frame. Just watch your step.

We did this hike in early May and it was probably our favorite hike of the trip. Take it all the way to the top--you won't regret it!! The beginning is busy and pretty heavily trafficked but it thins out as you continue onward. Have fun!!

We did it in mid october and the trail through the frozen lakes (mirror, agnes) was wonderful. very quiet at this period (just saw 5 people during the hike) si even better. breathtaking view of lake Louise.

Good hike! The first part until lake Agnes is a pretty popular trail, bigger and more people but once you reach lake Agnes/Tea House and start your way up to BigBeehive you will see less people and the trail becomes smaller (which I like!) The switchbacks are pretty steep on lake Agnes side, but take your time and you'll make it! Needed cleats 2 weeks ago. Nice view of Lake Louise and Little Beehive. Nice little open cabin with benches to take a break before heading down (or up for Devil's Thumb!)

Hiked 10.27.18
Initially we set out to only do Little Beehive as recommended by The Visitor Center. The Visitor Center specifically said that due to the high Avalanche risk Big Beehive was not recommended. After summiting Little Beehive and Lake Agnes we decided to ignore the recommendation and do Big Beehive anyway. The trail definitely requires spikes and poles there may be some Avalanche danger but minimal in my opinion. The hike up was challenging through the switchbacks but absolutely worth the effort.

Awesome hike. One of the best views of Lake Louise you can get.
Completed on the 21st of October. Despite the trail report (avalanche warning) there was no risk.

Seriously one of the best trails I’ve ever done. I’ve traveled all over. Highly trafficked when I went in July. Which was fine because I was worried about wildlife. Too many people I didn’t see a thing. Scenery is unreal. Especially once you get to the very top of big beehive. WOW.

By far one of my favourite hikes! The scenery was absolutely amazing throughout the entire trip. Some of the switchbacks were intense, and the initial incline was a bit tough but overall not bad! I highly recommend this hike to anyone! I do suggest poles this time of year, when we were descending the summit it was quite slippery!

This is a wonderful hike that I would do over and over again. The view from the top is amazing, but I actually enjoyed the hike itself more than just the view at the top. Several times throughout the hike you get gorgeous views of Lake Louise. Not to mention you pass by several other places like: Mirror Lake, Lake Agnes and Lake Agnes Tea House. We stopped at the Tea House for tea, wraps, and talked with some of the staff and other hikers. The next part of the hike was my favorite. I loved the hike around Lake Agnes and the switchbacks leading up to the beehive. Some of the best and most scenic switchbacks, in my opinion. There were other hikes, but it wasn’t overall busy. I’d say the hike was moderate. It took us about 5 hour round trip including the hour stop at the Tea House. We are in average shape. The incline at certain parts did get somewhat intense. It was worse in the beginning, for me, than at the switchback area.

awesome hike mainly due to the snow. the view of Lake Agnes is amazing as well

wonderful pretty hike

Added this to Lake Agnes hike and was so very worth it! The switchbacks are pretty killer, but the view of Lake Louise from the top is amazing. So glad we did this!

Last leg up the beehive is hard but the way to lake Agnes and mirror before that isn’t bad. Just leave with plenty of time. Recommend going up devils thumb once you get to the beehive. It adds another 1.5 hours ish and is poorly marked but well worth the views!!

Steep and hard! But so worth it

Great hike with amazing views at the top! The Tea House at Lake Agnes is a good resting stop before you go around the lake and hit the switchbacks. That's about 20 minutes of discomfort (depending on your fitness level) to get to the top. Keep your eye on the prize! It's worth it!

trail from Agnes Lake still has a lot of snow and disappears up the slope. tough climb right now, but q beautiful view of both Lake Louise and Lake Agnes, as well as the surrounding mountains.

Epic trail with views to die for. For many it would be strenuous, not moderate, at least in parts. But if you can manage it then it's worth it - it's really just the unrelenting incline not any particular hazards. You won't regret it. Phenomenal.

Amazing views all along the trail! From the top you can see the lake louise and the mirror lake. Beautiful! The hike will take you along mirror lake and agnes lake, and then a steep ascension to the top of the beehive. I highly recommend this hike!

An awesome hike. Got a little steeper closer to the summit but definitely worth the hike. Would do it again.

Stopped at tea house on the way up. Such a special place! Great views of Lake Louise at the top.

Absolutely gorgeous trails and perfect level of difficulty! Lake Agnes looks like a spot out of a fairytale book. Favorite trail at banff so far!

Review for going UP the trail!!!!
I did this hike AUGUST 1, 2018. We started the Hike @7:40 it was a chill morning and became warm. We hiked at a medium hike pace, with several short stops for pictures of the lakes and waterfalls. Our pace was 30:24 min/mile including our stoped times. Which took us 1hr51min (one way) Elevation gain 1962 feet. 3.4 miles (one way).
Fairly busy trail up to the end of Big Bee Hive, where there is a small patio with benches.
There is an bonus hike up at the top called “Devils Thumb” it shoots up a few hundred feet in a short distance... looks fun for the thrill seekers.

We came down the Big Beehive to the Highline Trail which put us in front of Mirror Lake again and the trail turns into Lake Agnes Trail. Coming down took 1hr 9 min at 3 miles and 22min/mile pace.

started before 9am sat morning (parked at great divide), still a lot of people to lake agnes but cleared out after that.. down via highlight was waaayyy better as less people and then over to 6 plains glacier tea house make it good 20km day... amazing view from top - with dealing with people to see it..

The grade of this trail made the hike just this side of strenuous for me, but the views from the top of Big Beehive made the effort up so completely worth it. Utterly gorgeous hike. Didn’t stop at the tea house due to the crowds, but the toilet facilities came in handy. Those with bad knees should prepare for a slow, careful descent, especially below Lake Agnes, which only has one or two switchbacks but is otherwise straight down the side of the mountain. The trailhead at Lake Louise was packed when we finished. We started around 8:30 am on a Monday. I wouldn’t start later than that. It took us about 5 hours, start to finish, but we also took a boatload of photos all the way up and at the top. Lake Louise in the morning is magical.

one of my first hikes in lake louise. the views up top are spectacular.

Busy but beautiful once at the top.

First half of the hike to Lake Agnes was heavily trafficked, although the view from the lake is incredible. The second half, toward the Big Beehive, is more strenuous than the first, but well worth it. Not as many people, and views of Lake Louis on one side, and Lake Agnes on the other. Incredible, incredible hike.

Lots of people, trail is very dry, the switchbacks were overall manageable until I reached a couple of very narrow points on the path.

Great Hike. And tremendous views. Highly recommend.

Once you get out of the crowds of lake Louise the ascend is breathtaking. After the tea house, the crowds begin to shrink and the hike/views can fully be enjoyed.