Learn more

Tent Ridge Horseshoe is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.9 mi Elevation gain 2,811 ft Route type Loop

Scramble

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)

In winter, this trail is considered backcountry and an avalanche hazard exists. Read about terrain classification here: https://www.albertaparks.ca/media/2939773/atr_ates.pdf See the Forecast: Avalanche forecast for Kananaskis here: https://www.avalanche.ca/forecasts/kananaskis

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (916)
Photos (741)
Recordings (527)
Completed (1839)
Cheyneille Oliver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

What a hike! This was our first ridgeline and it did not disappoint!! We went clockwise and let me tell you this hike will not only challenge you physically but also mentally (especially if you’re somewhat uneasy about standing on cliffs). On the ascent, you face (in my opinion) a difficult scramble where you do have to do some minor rock climbing to get up to the radio tower thing. This part definitely made me skittish especially since your back is completely facing a vertical cliff. After that, you have a great descent, another somewhat difficult scramble. After that, the rest of the ridge is quite easy and clear to follow (My boyfriend managed fine but I had to participate in some crab walking and butt scooting during parts) Descent from the ridgeline is also a bit difficult if you aren’t well versed in scree. We did bring along our small dog and while he managed almost the entire thing (we did have to carry him on a good chunk of the scrambles and some of the scree), I think it may have been a bit much. Overall though fantastic views!! Weather was excellent and we didn’t have to deal with much of the wind others have warned about. Overall the hike took us 6 hours (we stopped for quite a few view breaks and breaks to let our legs cool down, they were on fire at point) I’ll definitely recommend this to my experienced hiking friends!

Zoé O.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

A loop on a ridge of three mountains. We did it clockwise, wouldn’t recommend counter-clockwise, lots more uphill on that side. Very nice hike, definitely hard, mostly mentally on the hard ridges.

View Zoé's Recording
Josh Brennand
HikingGreat!

Im not the biggest hiker yet, but I have honestly not stopped talking about this hike for the 2 weeks since we went!

crystal.yyc.ca ..
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingScramble

Amazing hike!! Took four kids ages 8-12 on August 6. We went clockwise and the kids loved scrambling up on the way to the first summit. There was some exposure, and the scrambling would not be great in the rain. Unfortunately near the first summit a weather system came in and many groups turned around. We didn’t think going back to descend the cliff bands with the kids was a good idea in the rain so we continued on. Torrential rain and high winds made ascent/descent of the 2nd summit a challenge as many areas of the ridge are narrow, but we persevered and finished the hike. The forecast was supposed to be fairly clear with a few clouds, but we encountered serious weather nonetheless - pack a rain jacket/windbreaker regardless of the forecast. We will definitely be back to do this one again in good weather!

Alexis Cavanagh
HikingBugs

Awesome. Went clockwise and loved every minute of it. Epic views. Bring bug spray and windbreaker for at the top. Weather changed every minute so just be prepared. Going down was difficult to find the path, so prepare to keep looking for the path instead of making your way all down the ridge.

Zac Andrus
Hiking

Did this trail as an out and back going counterclockwise. Was great as we skipped all the scrambling and dangerous sections on a day when we had tired legs. Views were spectacular. Were above the trees in about an hour and 15 mins. If you just want to see the view and skip the danger, go counterclockwise.

View Zac's Recording
Kristen Sydoryk
Hiking

WINDY! Bring layers and a windbreaker for sure! The views are well worth it though!

View Kristen's Recording
Denise ...
Hiking

Amazing views! Worth all the scrambles. On top crazy windy! Hat and poles recommended

View Denise's Recording
Sonja Chamberlin
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
View Sonja's Recording
Yanchen Ma

Nice

Ilana Zinyk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingBugsScramble

The views on this hike are gorgeous! I found the scramble quite challenging as I’m super afraid of heights and there were a few points where I was exposed and uneasy. I did the hike clockwise, which I’d recommend. The effort exerted was more mental than physical- for the most part, the elevation gain is gradual. It took us just over 4 hours to complete in total. Like others said, definitely pack some warm gear- an ear warmer and gloves, as well as a rain coat/wind beaker would be helpful! It was freezing when we went, and we experienced rain and very strong winds.

BreAnne Henry

This hike has the most incredible views. I would agree with others that this hike is not for that faint of heart, or for anyone who doesn't like heights. We went clockwise and there were a couple places on the scramble to get up to the ridgeline that made me nervous, but I would do it again! We went at a good pace, nothing besides a couple water breaks, and it took us 3.25h car to car.

Spencer H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!RockyScramble

Amazing hike. The first climb up the rocks is a bit challenging and might see a bit overwhelming but just take your time, go slow, and you'll get to the top. Once you're there it only gets better with a very nice walk along the ridge, with a few more rocky climbs. It's VERY windy, but you sort of get used to it after a while. One thing I noticed that I haven't seen really mentioned it that the wind comes in gusts, so if it's very windy, it seems to calm down in a bit, but then will pick up again soon. Bring a wind jacket, hat, gloves, etc. Once you get the first one down the next ones are similar but even more rewarding and you start to really feel yourself pushing to the 'summit'. It's well worth the view at the top, this might be the only hike / summit I've been on where I've felt a bit dizzy up top because the view is so amazing and completely surrounds you, 360 degrees as others say!! The descent back down at the end is quite steep but hiking poles were a huge help, highly recommend bringing poles for this one. Easily my top favorite hike and I'm glad we finally did this one.

Sophie L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

Really pretty hike! Amazing views. If you’re afraid of heights you will find the short scramble VERY SCARY. To do the horseshoe, do it clockwise. However, If you would like to avoid the scary parts, I would recommend going counter clockwise on the trail in order to get to the summit and then turning back the way you came, avoiding the scramble. At the top it gets windy, so I would also recommend bringing something warm. It’s also rocky, so I wouldn’t want to do it in the rain. Overall took about 4 hours, a great hike, I highly recommend!

Danielle Gifford
HikingGreat!

By far my favourite hike. Definitely look at the weather conditions beforehand and make sure you go on a sunny day with no chance of rain and little wind. Not much of a grind for an incredible views the whole time. Start 8:30/9 to avoid crowds. I would bring poles, hat, mitts, and a wind proof jacket for sure. Overall 11/10 hike we did clockwise but counterclockwise wouldn’t be that bad!

Clive Rego
View Clive 's Recording
Xu Di
View Xu's Recording
Froilan A.
HikingGreat!MuddyRockyScrambleSnow

Spectacular views! Definitely do it clockwise. We got hit with rain, snow and some hail today. always bring extra layers for this hike. Very windy! The scramble was sketchy as the rocks were wet and slippery from the rain and snow. If you want just the views and don't want to do the horseshoe, do it counter clockwise, go as far as you want and or until you get to the scramble part, then return the same way. You'll see the same wonderful views!

Amanda M
HikingGreat!RockyScrambleSnow

Trail was amazing! Every type of view to experience. Dress for all types of weather as we experienced heavy winds, rain, hail, and sun in and throughout! If you are slightly nervous with heights - I would caution against this one. Took us about 7 hours - we took breaks to take in the view as it was so beautiful!