Tent Ridge Horseshoe

Tent Ridge Horseshoe is a 10.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canmore, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10 km
831 m

So beautiful!! Would recommend the clockwise direction and bringing lots of sunscreen because most of the hike is quite exposed

Amazing views... go clockwise... you won’t regret it!

Amazing hike! Such stunning views and a gorgeous ridge walk. Would recommend doing it in the clockwise direction (starting from the trail before the parking lot) just because the scramble up, in my opinion, would be harder to go down! 360 views, would definitely recommend! This took my friend and I 5 hours in total including breaks for photos, lunch at the weather station and general breaks to enjoy the view!

An amazing hike. Definitely recommend doing the loop in a clockwise direction. The scramble up is challenging but coming down that section would scare me! Both my gps and my partners gps came up with this being a 12.5!km hike.

This trail is challenging at times but the views are incredible. It is quite windy at the top of the ridge. I felt like Dumbledore when he was in the cave in search of horcruxes while I waited for the wind to calm down. It was 31 degrees when I started the hike however it rained and hailed at the top of the ridge so layer up. Everyone suggests starting this trail at the left of the parking area but I couldn’t find it so I did it the other way around and it wasn’t too bad. Lots of climbing at the top and some areas are a little steep but very manageable. I would highly recommend bringing hiking poles.

Amazing view all the way to the summit especially at the weather station. Perfect place to rest and enjoy the view. We took the clockwise route which I would recommend, the scrambling part is not as difficult as it may seem.

Fantastic hike. Scrambles were mildly difficult. Views are amazing throughout. Highly recommend doing this hike with good weather - we got hit with high winds and precipitation which made things challenging. I’d rate this hike as hard as opposed moderate although there’s nothing too sketchy about this hike.

One of the best hikes I've ever done. I'm midly afraid of heights and this trail gave me anxiety most of the time on the ridge. The trail on a few of the rock scrambles were difficult to find and often frustrating because the ridge is steep in places (not a ton of room for error). Views are incredible but certainly not for the faint of heart.

Amazing hike! Went in late June and there’s still patches of snow here and there. It’s total 10k and the ridge up top is like 6k and the remaining runs thru the forests. Did Ha Ling last month and thought it got some pretty serious scramble, but compared to this one Ha Ling is nothing. Nearly 90 degrees of scramble with loose rocks. There are several good drops up on the ridge and we really took our time making our way down. Come prepared for some serious rock climbing and make sure you are comfortable with heights and walking (or scrambling) right beside cliffs. The views up there are really worth the thrills! The mountains on the other side of the ridge made us feel like we were in Switzerland..
Not recommended for beginners.

This hike is incredible, but I definitely recommend doing it later in the season. We went mid June and there was lots of snow, with some route finding coming down (not a fan of the hour we spent in the bush). Clearly there was an avalanche. Luckily we were prepared for snow and it wasn't cold. We saw others who were less prepared though and they suffered a bit.

Do the route starting from the left trailhead (left of the parking lot). the trailhead is easier to find and the scramble is easier.

The hike to the basin and start of the ridge line is quite easy but there are lots of debris (big trees). The incredible views start early.

Once you reach the valley, it's clear there was an avalanche. The trail to the start of the scramble was tough to find in the deep snow. the scramble itself is steep but short and not too difficult. Then, you're on the ridge!

There is climbing on this ridge. Have your hands free. The views are absolutely incredible but it's not a hike for those afraid of heights or cliffs or doing some climbing!

If you started from the trailhead nearer to the parking lot, the descent is steep but less so than the ascent and less slippery (shale isn't as loose). We could not find the trail into the forest and the snow was very deep. We ended up tobogganing down part of it and bush wacking for an hour. Thankfully, you're close to the road either way (look for a logging road). the logging road shoots out by the parking area.

I think it's harder than moderate especially if there is snow!

It was very difficult to find the trail head. There are two entry points. The first trail head is located before the parking area. The second is located up an old fire road to the left.

Amazing views. First time hiking, there was still a bit of snow below the ridge but was manageable and as long as you have AllTrails it is easy to stay on the route! We went up counter clockwise and honestly, I wouldn't go any other way. The scramble would be much harder to come down than the other way. Would say this hike is hard rather than moderate as consider myself to be on good shape but it was tough. Worth every effort

June 17, 2018
View from the first part of the ridge is stunning!! Definitely worth all the tree root tripping and log climbing for. Not too snowy until you reach the part where there’s the evidence of a huge avalanche. Doable though. Plenty of rocks to hold on to when getting up to the ridge, not too daunting but being steady on your feet helps. We took in the views and then had to head back down because of time and footwear but the view of the valley was 100% worth the efforts!

My favourite hike in Kananaskis. Wow, there was a major avalanche in there this year. Significant tree damage. Showed me that I need to stay out of there until the avi danger has passed. Part of the route goes through a terrain trap.

One of my favourite hikes in the Canadian Rockies. There was still a lot of snow on the trail under the ridge, manageable if you are comfortable hiking on snow. We started clockwise by taking the trail to the left of the parking lot. Not a lot of route finding required however the snow covered trail did make it slightly more challenging. We saw a lot of alpine flowers, a huge toad, and a little marmot. As soon as you reach the ridge line the views are stunning for the rest of the hike.

On the top three list. Where we take visitors. Not too difficult but still both challenging and rewarding.

Gorgeous hike but still lots of snow and we ended up in the bush multiple times! Would wait another month if I was to do again!

early season, really challenging hike!! We were sinking in the snow from the bottom almost to the ridge but it was AWESOME!! we went opposite direction so in the end we use backcountry lines to find a way from forest:D

Went for May long and had to call it quits due to the waist deep snow. We even attempted to do the reverse to see if we could at least go further, but that was just as snowy. We ended up hiking leaving and hiking West Wind Pass. Hopefully we can try this one again late summer or early fall.

My favourite hike of all time.

Awesome views

The trail is currently snowy which results in an easy to follow trail, but it gets wet and slick so prepare accordingly. There will be some snow scrambling and the views are incredible. The Ridge was very windy today and I didn't have extra clothes so I turned around at the false peak (started clockwise). I'll be back in summer to complete it! I would say the scramble is more difficult that "moderate", though.

Gorgeous hike/trail run. The views are great along the ridge. I went counter clockwise and it seemed like I was the only one doing that. It was fine, but I suggest using spikes.

Counterclockwise- amazing hike. And I would recommend the counterclockwise over clockwise as clockwise was going up over less of an incline but a vastly longer stretch that would add up. Counterclockwise was quick and straight up that had us climbing on 4s for a tiny bit. Your choice. That said the views are unrivalled up top and the radio antenna (not a Tim Hortons) was a fun place to meet other hikers. If you bring a pooch bring minimum 3L of water, dick all for ponds. You'll find trails spin off without signage or direction but follow the arrows on the ground left by other hikers. X means don't go that way! Have fun

We did this hiked yesterday, once you get to the top, the view is unrival. There was challenges in getting into the trail. We got lost few times. Yes clockwise is better but stay on the right after about 10 mins, the left will take you to nowhere. The challenges on the hiked was lots of snow, you are going to climb on the rocks, beware of loose rocks. I will not recommend this for anyone who is afraid of heights. I almost fell on the cliff because it was slippery, i was holding on the rock so tight & so afraid i would fall. I had to continue because going back was not my opinion. You have to hike on expose ridges all the way. There are hikers that seemed doing well but for sure they are pro. Anyone who are to any challenges this is definitely what you are looking for. We did the loop, this part was a bit easier, go down still slippery but no cliff, then go up the hill again for about 30 mins, again very slippery that is why it took us longer. then walked on the exposed ridge all the way. The last part is going downhill very steep , very slippery, my friend just slide down in her butt because there was so much snow & she had no pole. I will never do this hike if there is snow, it is very dangerous & really risky. I would to do this again on summer!

Beautiful trail! It can take longer than expected because you want to enjoy the views. Definitely hike clockwise.

Awesome hike. Fairly challenging in sections with some exposure and light scrambling. Definitely try and go clockwise around as makes for much easier route. Views are amazing.

Would recommend going clockwise. Our time was 3h35m but we forgot to pack food so we didn't stop much. Great hike!

Stunning hike

This was our favorite hike while we were here. Without a doubt, you need to go on the trail clockwise! Get on the trailhead that is before the small parking lot, not the one after. The second trailhead is where you should end! Awesome hike, still can't get over how fun and beautiful it was. A little Challenge as I'm not an experienced hiker, but still so doable and I still enjoyed every minute! On the way down we did get a little lost, so I used this app to make sure we were staying on the trail. Took about 4.5 hours, including stops and getting a little lost.