Taylor and O'Brien Lakes

Taylor and O'Brien Lakes is a 17.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Eldon, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

17.4 km
1,138 m

Hike out to Taylor Lake was a steady climb on a well trodden path through the trees the whole way. Beautiful once at the lake, a little boggy right at the lake. Continuing on to O’Brien lake was my favourite part. Still a lot of snow on the trail so had a little trail finding and boggy most of the way. Bridge across the river is broken but still pass able if you have long legs, I ended up in the river! If you have shorter legs follow the river slightly more upstream where it narrows and is passable.

Nice gentle incline the whole way. Solid path from the cross country skiers makes the walk up pretty good. Crampons not required, but the extra grip is nice to have. Up top, the trail softens up making snowshoes a requirement. I didn't make it to O'Brien as the path was unbroken and I was running out of time. Beautiful meadows, tons of larch, this spot would be beautiful in any season.

When I was resting on my towel on the beach at Taylor Lake, some shmucks set up a game of volleyball right next to me. Kicked sand all over my stuff...

Sunday, July 09, 2017