Tawayik Lake Trail

Tawayik Lake Trail is a 15.4 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Improvement District No. 13 , Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

15.4 km
344 m

old growth

This hike is better than the Lake Shirley hike. More variety, with open spaces and more of a wilderness trail rather than a quad path through the woods. A herd of wood Buffalo were in the path at one open spot, so I had to wade through some tall prairie grass to get around them. That added some time making for about a 3 & 1/4 hour hike. Lots of raspberries on the trail, making me think I might see a bear. I did see a big black bear last week on the Lake Shirley hike.

The trail itself was pretty good. It's mostly flat (as expected in the prairies), and my friend and I were able to complete the entire trail in about 3 hours. We saw some wildlife (deer, woodpeckers, etc.) but didn't see wood bison as we had hoped. The sun was really hot and we ended up leaving at 11, so I would recommend doing the hike before it gets very hot out or taking plenty of sunscreen and water with you. Waterproof footwear recommended, as some regions were a bit muddy. There were a LOT of mosquitoes, so ensure that you have plenty of insect repellent as well.

a bit muddy at the back and missed trail split on plains section but very beautiful.

Nice trail, not too busy. I don't think many people do the full thing so it's only about the first couple km or so thy seem more trafficked. I can't stress enough WATERPROOF BOOTS, doesn't seem that bad at first but as soon as you're coming out of that first stretch of meadow it's very wet. Other parts in the forest very wet and muddy too.

This is an excellent hike with interesting with scenary changing at various points throughout. Challenging because of distance and rolling hills. Be careful if you're doing this hike in the spring or after a heavy rain. The lower parts of the trail flood. You can't be afraid to get your feet wet!

This trail was an adventure!!! Not for beginners and be ready to get off and walk a lot.

This trail was a bit difficult and definitely not for beginners. It was really wet and muddy in a lot of places so make sure to wear shoes you're not worried about getting dirty. That said the views were beautiful and definitely worth the trek! Saw some bison about halfway through and a beaver in the last little lake you pass.

Great trail, still pretty wet in places. We mush of gotten on and off our bikes 30+ times to get through bogs and climb over fallen trees.