Sulphur Mountain Trail

Sulphur Mountain Trail is a 10.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 km Elevation Gain: 744 m Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Sulphur Mountain Trail is an alpine switchback pathway which leads to the summit ridge of Sulphur Mountain. The mountain is based in Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies and overlooks the small town of Banff in Alberta, Canada. Once at the top, visitors can also check out the historic Cosmic Ray Station on Sanson Peak. After 7pm or anytime during the winter, visitors can take the Sulphur Mountain Gondola ride down the mountain for free. Other times the gondola is $30. The Sulphur Mountain trailhead starts from the Upper Hot Springs parking area. This is a moderate hike with amazing views of the Bow Valley.

Straight forward hike full of switchbacks. This one got our heart rate up! It was a rainy day, but was worth it for the view at the top. The Hike to the top took us 1 hour and 20 minutes with a few water stops along the way. The top is busy due to the gondola, but it was nice to head inside a bit to warm up from the rain. Walk up the boardwalk to get to Sanson Peak, but then head back down and venture off the boardwalk toward a separate trail that leads around the mountain. Not many people went that way, and let my husband and I be alone at the top of the mountain. Head back up, and hike down or pay for a gondola ride down!

Super hiking, the view is really spectacular and the descent into "godonle" is quite nice - it gives another view. Part is a little more cardio but it's worth it, beautiful passage in the trees and beautiful views all along! And no mosquitoes!

To go up or take the gondola up. The gondola costs to the 46CAD. Arriving at the top one expects an absolute beautiful view with beautiful nature. There are different trails on the top that you can run. The most used one is probably around the lakes. But above the trails are also very easy to walk.

Great hike with spectacular views. Trail itself was not busy but top was very busy with gondola riders. Great spot for a pint at the top.

Nice challenging trail. View at the top is one of the best I have ever seen. Trail itself was rather quite but the top was busy with the gondola.

We made it up in 1hour 40m taking a few short breaks along the route to take on/off rain gear. My wife is 6mo pregnant and started to get winded above 6500. It’s a challenging, easy-rated hike. Many switchbacks are steep, but the trail is well maintained and stable. Mix of light rain and sun all the way up. We decided to rest a bit up at the peak and pay for the gondola down. If we go again we’ll plan to start around 5PM. That way we can enjoy a free trip down if we decide against down hiking... otherwise $70+ for two one way is a steep price for convenience. Though, the views from the gondola are great.

the hike itself doesn't offer much in views, occasionally closer to the top you can see look down at the valley and mountains. also kind of fun to wave at gondola passengers as they pass by. the trail is mostly just forested switchbacks. however the view on top is incredible, try to make it for sunset. after 7pm in the summer you get a free gondola ride down the mountain.

Nice and simple long hike! leads to beautiful view.

This was one of our favorite hikes of our trip. The trail was a gradual incline with switchbacks. It was mostly in the forest with some awesome view points. The payoff at the end was the best part! Of course there were lots of people at the top but that’s par for the course. The gondola is free to take down after 7 (I think I saw no pets allowed on the gondola). We made it up in about 1:30. Pro tip- plan your hike to make it for sunset at the top of the gondola!

Wasn’t as busy as most of the comments on here suggest. Enjoyed the trail, at the top we went left and climbed over rocks up to a peak and the view was incredible, well worth the extra work when we got up there!

Nice and easy Trail! Nice Spots for overlook, but too crowded. Awesome views from top! Took the way to „Cave and Basin“ down (easy, but needs a Service)

Fairly easy/moderate switchbacks for the first 2/3 of the way up, the last 1/3 is noticeably steeper. Took us 1.5 hours to go up. The descent was more difficult since we were already quite tired. Very touristy at the top but the views are incredible. Please stay on the path, saw lots of ignorant people taking ‘shortcuts’.

The trail was fine really, just all switch backs with some views along the way which makes it a little boring. Great views from the top but extremely busy/touristy.

We hiked up Sulphur early this morning, enjoyed a latte at the coffee shop after the trek, and took the gondola down for free before 10am (it is free to take it down before 10am and after 7pm). Afterwards we took a dip in the hot springs at the bottom of the gondola. The trail up Sulphur is a descent, but if you are able to do the hike-I recommend it. Perfect morning!

I just did this hike Yesterday. I underestimated it's intensity, or for the first time in my life I succumbed but powered through some altitude issues. which was hard. it took us two hours to hike up. A lot of switchbacks and quite a bit of shade. we ended up taking the gondola down because it was so late in the day and we had to drive home still. I did want to remind people that There are signs on the trail telling you To Stay On the Trail. I saw kids climbing through deadfall, brush a d probably killing wildflowers while they were at it. Please don't do that, it could be dangerous to you, fellow hikers below and the environment. Also put garbage in the cans. there are tons at the summit.

The key to this one is to show up before 9am for a clear trail and nice hike to the top. Hiked this with my family (kids 9 and 12) on holiday Monday. We arrived at 8.30 to plenty of parking available and rarely met anyone on the trail. Made it to the top in 2hrs (youngest stopped a few times for snacks). Switchbacks all the way to the top with one spot close to the top that was very rocky. Views at the top as many have said are gorgeous. It was quite busy by 10.30 though with many tourists having taken the gondola up. Next visit I'd get there even earlier to avoid the crowds during tourist season.

Climbed from hot springs parking lot to sulphur mountain lodge. Hike itself was pleasant- lots of back and forth turns with some steeper areas. Hike is an easier skill level and very populated. Lodge had multiple restaurants, cafe, gift shop, museum, and rooftop fire pits

Took me a good 3 hours as I was going very slow. Try to catch the gondola after 7pm as it’s free and going down this trail is not so good for knees. Overall a good workout. Be prepared the top is packed with tourist

We hiked up and was able to easily get a seat to have dinner. It was worth it. And if you time it right you hike up, see a massive line to go back down on the gondola, you continue to Sky Bistro, enjoy a great dinner, wrap it up at 10 pm and walk right into a waiting gondola to take in the twinkling town and silhouette mountains. Hike is easy to me; my partner struggled a little towards the top at the short switchbacks. But he’s also out of shape and hasn’t hiked in sometime. It was literally the perfect hike/dinner/gondola ride. And after 7 pm it’s free. We stayed at Rim Rock and short walk. With saved $ expense of gondola ride it nearly paid the expense of our dinners. Highly Recommend this. Timing was perfect in hike and reaching the top. Did I mention the sunset WOW. And the big horn sheep all over up there. A must do.

The hike itself isn’t really one of my favorite - actually probably closer to the bottom of my list. It is heavily treed and just switchbacks the entire way - However the views at the top are really second to none. Plan to spend a good amount of time at the top. It’s incredible.

My daughter and I did this hike to avoid the steep cost of the gondola ride to the top! You pretty much switchback right up the gondola line so it's tough, but not too bad. My 11-year-old stopped to wave at the people in the gondola every time we were under it again so it made the hike fun. Get up there after 7pm and you ride down for FREE!

Great trail. Is as described. My 8&9 year olds loved it and took breaks as needed. It’s a 2400 foot ascent over the three mile hike, so rather steep. We had dinner up top in the cafe and took the gondola down for free since it was after 7pm. Highly recommend.

This is a great trail! We hike a lot, and read others' comments about the lack of views. That isn't very accurate. There are enough views to inspire along the way, the view from the top is panoramic and awesome, and the restaurant at the top serves a killer burger and fries. The hike is a great way to pay off the calories ahead of the meal. The trail is all up, so expect to work, but it's not terrible if you are in reasonably decent shape. Even if not, just take it more slowly. Oh, and a bonus was the small herd of bighorn sheep at the top!

This view was worth every step! With small breaks and a longer break at the waterfall, we needed something over 2 hours. But we also walked comfortably. At the top we went to the top of Mt. Sulfur. Back to the gondola (free after 19:00). A beautiful hike!

In my mind the only real benefit to this trail is saving yourself $30 on the gondola, by only going one way. There aren't many views, and it's just trees all the way. I saw a deer but not much else.

Appropriately rated hike. We arrived around 8:30am on a Saturday and the parking lot was practically empty. About 97% of the hike is up relatively steep terrain, so it’s not a breeze. The switchbacks allow for some excellent views over the town of Banff. Took us about 2 hours to get to the top with a handful of small breaks for pictures and water. The very top is a wooden walkway to the peak of Sulphur Mountain, which takes about 10 minutes to walk. It was JAMMED with folks that came up via the gondola. We much preferred the solitude of the hike up, to be honest. Still, really great 360 degree views of the surrounding landscape.