Sulphur Mountain from Hot Springs

Sulphur Mountain from Hot Springs is a 10.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.9 km
900 m

6 minutes ago

Took us about 3 hours to get to the top. The switchback makes for a less steep hike. The top is extremely busy due to the gondolas.

Quite a busy trail! It does zig-zag a lot- which my boyfriend said made him feel as though we weren't making much progress. However, I thought the trail was amazing, curved enough to make the trek up not too steep. And the top aligns with the gondola, so you get to experience a wonderful view/walk around the top of the mountain!

Did this hike with my 5 and 9 year old boys and we had a great time. Very busy trail, but we saw a grizzly and 2 cubs 10 minutes into the hike!
We took the ROAM bus to get there and it was perfect. To note: there is a water fountain in the building on top so we were able to refill our bottles for the walk down.

Definitely a workout of a hike, steep incline and lots of switchbacks. Slightly disappointing at the top with so many people who've just taken the gondola up but the views still can't be beat. Head to the "Quiet Side" to the left when you first reach the top as it was completely empty when we were there. Make the 1.6km trek to where you can climb some rocks and see some long horned sheep! Overall I'd recommend doing this for sure!

Best way to see banff. It kinda sucks that there is a gondola that takes people up, so the summit is always packed, but at the same time, its also sucks for the price of it as well. Honestly not too hard of a hike either; just mentally is a bummer when you've worked so hard, only to see an absurdly crowded summit. I would recommend this though if you are not about paying for the gondola.

The hike is steep with continuous elevation gain following switchbacks until you reach the top. I didn't think the trail was too crowded especially when you compare it to visiting Lake Louise or Lake Moraine. The visiting center at the top is over crowded, but the views are spectacular and you have the feeling of accomplishment of hiking up compared to all the gondola riders who wouldn't have made it a quarter mile hiking. There's even Starbucks coffee in the visitors center.

Not a bad hike but it is extremely busy with tons of tourists on top. Also, it just follows an old road up the mountain under the gondola. The views are good, but Banff has many more spectacular views.

The air gets pretty thin up top so make sure to prepare. Wonderful hike nonetheless with beautiful views of the Rockies.

One of my favourite hike in Banff, my second mountain hiking, over a year ago. I thought I was not able to reach the top, I was out of shape then but I made it. It was so worth it. The view was outstanding. highly recommend.