Skoki Mountain Loop Trail is a 37.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Improvement District No. 9, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

37.7 km
1,796 m

I would recommend crampons and poles, be mindful of avalanches this time of the year as well. Expect to be breaking trail if you do the whole loop. View from Skoki Mountain is definitely worth the effort.

I was with Shahram and confirm it can be done in one day though little bit difficult. One of the best hikes I've ever done and will do in the future.
Lots of water on the trail can be used if having either filter or pills.
There are few campsites for those who want to enjoy more.
On the way back I recommend to follow the route Shahram recorded as the meadow was beautiful and quite. My phone crashed so I could not complete my recordings.

Did a 3 day , 2 night hike last week , was awesome ! Had some cold temps and bit windy but anything can be expected out there . Camped first night at hidden lake camp and then Merlin meadows the next . Great scenery and way too many postcard pics to be taken out there . Absolutely beautiful part of the world

We did the full loop plus hiking to Merlin lake in about 13 hours and headed out the same day. A very long day with variety of landscapes from dense woods, gorgeous creeks, wide open meadow, water falls and five spectacular lakes and last but not least, the historic Skoki lodge, located deep in the isolated Skoki valley. Completing this full loop in a single day will definitely need a good level of body strength however, the beauty of the area makes you forget about your tiredness. Be prepared for rapid weather change at any time. Overall this was a very pleasant hike and I highly recommend it at least once.

The Skoki loop is truly breathtaking and absolutely worth the somewhat demoralizing fire road slog in. Bugs are definitely a hassle - a bug jacket was a well used luxury item for me. We stayed at Baker Lake our first night, then at Merlin Meadows for the second. One thing we noticed is that there are apparently two ways through Deception Pass. We took the heavily signed route, but the one highlighted in this app is just west of the main trail and is a bit tougher to find. It is marked by some stone cairns about midway along Ptarmigan Lake for those that want to try it. We very much enjoyed the main route, which is well signed, just past the cairn-marked trail. The signed trail also seems the safer more established way, but as we did not take the highlighted route along the two lakes, I cannot speak to that particular trail.

The AllTrails app came in handy multiple times as there are many forks in the trails that lead elsewhere and are sometimes not well signed. Using my downloaded maps helped me to avoid some potential inconvenient strays from the route I intended.

Overall, we enjoyed Skoki thoroughly, with the exception of those hikers that feel it appropriate to blast their music in the backcountry, go off trail when they should not be, and decide it is ok to cook in their campsite and dump food waste in the camping area. Those inconsiderate humans were the worst part of the trip and are unfortunate constants in every backcountry experience - it would be lovely if everyone out there looked after each other and the environment so as to uplift the experience for all. Sadly that is often not the case out there. A little mindfulness of others and nature would go a long way.

Amazing! Skoki Lodge is very well maintained. I really liked Packers Pass. Definitely worth it to wear all your camping gear with you, the elevation gain is not that bad. Nights could be cold!

Did a 3 day backpacking trip using Baker Lake as our campsite. Overall the hike was great and we really enjoyed the scenery and difficulty level. Our day hike consisted of doing the skoki loop and it was fantastic, walking through the valleys and deception pass was incredible. Loved looking over Skoki Lakes. The ONLY thing that made this hike less enjoyable was the swarms of mosquitoes. They really put a damper on the trip borderline unbearable.

Did a 3 day backpack here last year and it was amazing. Probably the best multi day I’ve done thus far. Very tough. Very rewarding.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

The hike is stunning with beautiful views despite a rain-filled second day that led us to hike from Baker Lake towards Skoki Lodge and then back to the parking lot all in one day. The only downside is that we lost our GPS Rhino radio along the trail somewhere between Deception Pass and the Fish Creek parking lot. If anyone finds it please comment as we'd really like it back. Many thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Beautiful route with steep mountain passes, pretty alpine meadows, glaciers & crystal clear lakes. We hiked the loop over two days in a clockwise direction, camping overnight at Merlin Meadows; 16km on day one, 21km on day two. Would definitely recommend!

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hiked the trail with my 8 year old son. Spent first night at Baker Lake and second night at Merlin Meadows. All around great experience, lots of wildflowers, amazing alpine valleys and lakes. Challenging but doable for most.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Amazing views, alpine lakes, snow capped peaks. Loved the Skoki Loop and little side trip to Skoki Lakes (Zigadenus and Myostosis). We stayed two nights at Baker Lake and day hiked the loop. Only downside to the trail is the first 4km, which are on a gravel access road... otherwise a fantastic trail and backpacking circuit!

recorded Skoki Loop to Merlin Lake