Photos of Sentry Mountain Trail

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,297 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We did this hike June 20, 2019. We decided to try and find one of the two trails that go west to east using “the trailhead near the gravel pit” (which is now closed off, instead take the left turn after the gravel pit onto a gravel road, you will end up walking through/ across a creek) We were never able to find either trailhead as marked on various blogs or even the trails until the tree line, and we bushwhacked for about an hour to get out of the trees. The climb up is not for beginners. Once you are out of the tree line it is a steep incline up. You may come across some cairns when you get out of the trees, but as you go up there are few and far between. It is generally easy to tell at this point, which way to go using common sense, but for the most part, you are free-styling up until the last 100m or so where it is very obvious what “path” you need to take to get up to summit. There are many false peaks as you near the top so be ready to have your spirit break a little! Once we finished it was worth it, but it’s not one that I would want to do again. Each review I read about this hike said it would take 6 hours, but we started at 9:30 and weren’t back at the car until around 6 and only stopping for lunch for about 15 mins and taking a 10 minute breather before descent (making it an 8.5h hour hike) The weather called for rain at 4pm but we were hailed/snowed/rained on for about 3 full hours of the hike. Make sure you do this on a fully clear day as some of these conditions at the wrong time can make it a very unenjoyable hike. Overall, it was a challenge, one that I am glad to have conquered, but I think I will take on some easier ones for the next little while!