Sentinel Pass Trail

Sentinel Pass Trail is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
824 m

I was born and raised in an island so it was pretty hard for me to breath during this hike (my lungs are not used to it). It took us about 3 hours to get to the top and even though we went in the summer there was quite a bit of snow in there (be prepared!).
However, it was super fun to slide down in the snow and being at the top of the mountain is an amazing feeling!! Take your time to the top and you'll surely enjoy it!!

One of my favorite hikes thus far. You get a variety of scenery ranging from tree filled valleys to wooded areas to snow covered paths and of course mountain top views. We went in first week of July and there was still snow between larch valley and the switchbacks leading up to sentinel pass. We had to scramble through during that part as well. Our group made it to the top of sentinel pass but didn't complete the trail and turned back after we reached the mountain top of sentinel pass. Since there was still quite a bit of snow we got to slide down the snow hill and bypass the downhill rock scrambling- which was amazing and so fun!! I'd recommend wearing boots with some water resistance features. Mine are but even with that my feet got soaked during this part of the trail. Recommend this hike, most definitely !

A fantastic hike. Steep switchbacks to begin, but then a steady climb to the valley below the pass, with a few alpine lakes. The climb up to the pass through a few snowfields and some scree was not for those afraid of heights, but the view from the pass was incredible.

I hiked this trail up in 1 hr 45 min and down in 1 hr 20 minutes. The trail is in great condition with 4 to 5 snowfields above the valley. Many hikers were crossing in hiking boots and sneakers but micro spikes made it super easy. The views in the valley and at the pass are epic.

pretty cool reaching valley and seeing the small figures on distant switchbacks to sentinal pass. trail up was great. spectacular views.

Loved it! Quick ascend in first 45 mins and then you land in larch valley .. catch up your breath and enjoy view of 10 peaks. From larch valley to sentinel the trail is in good shape and sentinel pass view is beautiful!

Awesome views , great hike . Really enjoyed it.