Sentinel Pass via Larch Valley Trail

Sentinel Pass via Larch Valley Trail is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
824 m

Amazing views but the tour buses definitely ruin it. Plan for a weekday (vs weekend)

Continued on from Larch Valley and did a bit of this. Beautiful hike and not too difficult as we didn't do the actual climb to the peak -- ran out of time.

Beautiful! We went to see the larch trees. Very very busy though...

Rated difficult but anyone can achieve it.
It is a beautiful hike with a fairly steep start and a lovely flat portion in the Larch Valley. The final climb to the sentinel is steeper but accessible to anyone. Very rewarding view at the top.
We continued to the Mount Temple which was incredibly more challenging!

Did this yesterday with my husband and 6&9 year old daughters. We had a lot of fun! There were lots of little streams at the beginning (my kids tell me fairies live in the forest), wildflowers in the middle, and snow near the end (just a little). Only the very end was hard, with the scrabble up to the pass. Before that, it's a very nice, wide trail, and beautiful views of turquoise Moraine Lake as you climb the first part of the trail.

Great hike. All uphill but definitely worth it.

I was born and raised in an island so it was pretty hard for me to breath during this hike (my lungs are not used to it). It took us about 3 hours to get to the top and even though we went in the summer there was quite a bit of snow in there (be prepared!).
However, it was super fun to slide down in the snow and being at the top of the mountain is an amazing feeling!! Take your time to the top and you'll surely enjoy it!!

I did this hike out to just short of the Sentinel Pass. It's my opinion that if you do this hike you should be prepared to go all the way to Sentinel Pass end to make the most of the views. If you don't have the time you should probably just choose another hike.