Sentinel Pass via Larch Valley Trail

Sentinel Pass via Larch Valley Trail is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.8 km
738 m

completed this hike on Sunday, October 8. Decided to head to Moraine Lake very early to make sure we got parking so we were at the lake by 6:45 am and the parking lot was already half full. We started our hike right around 8:00 am and were pretty much the only people on the trail, a few coming down from Larch Valley. The hike to Larch Valley I would consider easy, it took us just over an hour to reach. The ascent to Sentinel Pass took a bit longer mainly due to the snow, roughly 1.5 ft in parts. I would recommend crampons and poles for sure for the pass, and for the way down. So many hikers were not prepared for the descent and were slipping and sliding on their way down. Crampons were a life saver. By the time we were descending the trail was SO busy and I would never do this later than an 8:00 am start time. Overall the hike to Sentinel Pass I would rate more as a moderate hike compared to some others I've done but the views are absolutely incredible and I will definitely do this again.

Great hike through the larches in the fall. It was incredibly busy though.

4 stars because the views are great but it is incredibly busy trail.

It's very beautiful trail, I did it on Sep.17, 2017. The 3 km in trail beginning is difficult, then flat, and finally climb a difficult steep big Z uphill to the summit.

Be prepared - gaters, crampons are essential. Did this yesterday on a windy, mostly cloudy day with constant light snow. View was partially obscured. Getting up the pass from Larch Valley was fine with crampons as the trail was very visible. However, we saw many ill-prepared hikers sliding and falling in runners - renting crampons will make your hike much more enjoyable. Going down the other side of the pass was very challenging. We saw only 1 couple coming up, so it was not trafficked enough for there to be a visible trail over the snow. We did a lot of guesswork, dodging rocks and ice patches, and ending up scrambling down knee-deep.

Great hike, definitely not considered hard. I would consider this easy/ moderate. It’s laid out beautifully, nothing to intense. Slow and steady climb at first before reaching the valley and then a nice flat walk through with gorgeous views. Then another accent to the top. Trail is smaller and it was very very windy when we did it. The wind did play a big factor while going up. Big gusts made it difficult to ascend at times. We headed out very early with the fact in mind of how busy Moraine lake gets.. we started the hike at 8 am and the parking lot was half full but the trail itself wasn’t too busy - a lot of people were on the big rock at the start watching the sunset. Overall it was a beautiful hike, nice views and didn’t take to long which is always nice too, considering the drive from Calgary is a little longer ! 5.5 km up and took us 1.22 hours to reach the top !!

Seeing the Larch's turning was beautiful, and the view from the pass was very neat. Very crowded though, but definitely still worth it!