Rummel Lake Trail

Rummel Lake Trail is a 9.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kovach, Alberta, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9 km
421 m

skiing

Nice trail and joyful for the beginners. We couldn't reach the lake by following the "Trail" sign, for still snow covering at last 1.5 km. But got over there following the yellow diamond ski sign, took by the cross country skiing route.
Gorgeous wildflowers made the day beautiful.

Went up on a day off. Nice trail, very minimal elevation gain, very gentle. I probably could have done out and back in 3 hours (plus a little extra time for food and photos), though my team were a bit slower, so it took us around 5 RT. The view of Mt. Galatea at the end is STUNNING. Not a ton of wildlife, though we did see a few grouse and some toads.

Still lots of snow for the last few kms. Not worth bringing spikes, but I would suggest poles for stability, and wool socks.

Still deep snow the last km, we turned around rather than push through to the lake as you often punch through and sink up to your knees. However the view of the Spray Lakes and valley at the viewpoint made this an enjoyable day.

There is snow on this trail ! Made hiking it more difficult. Will definitely try it again in the summer.

Still quite a bit of snow today beyond where the trail splits...wish I didn’t leave my gaiters behind! I would definitely recommend if you’re heading up in the new few weeks. Snow pack is firm and walkable in places but some steps fall right through thigh-waist deep! Makes for a more tedious walk but still nice!

Still lots of soft, deep snow on the trail which made hiking more difficult than expected. The lake isn't thawed yet, either. The views were great, though! Will have to try again in a few months!

The trail was compacted well enough for us all to hike with just good quality boots.
While there are more challenging hikes around. This is a very enjoyable trail with a beautiful clearing as you reach the lake.
It was perfect during the day we went.

great winter trail. The snow was very packed down, ended up not needing snowshoes. Easy to find and navigate.

Awesome snowshoe hike. The views are amazing and there was hardly anybody on the trail.
I’d rate it more easy than moderate, since the inclination is very gradual except for some hilly parts near the end. Took us
3 1/2 hours to complete it including snack and numerous photo breaks.
Can’t wait to see the lake in summer!

lake was frozen so fishing was impossible

Gorgeous winter hike! Views are spectacular! When you get to the lake, you may see some Whiskey Jacks, which are pretty grey and white birds. Hold your your hand with a little bit of trail mix, or some crust from your sandwich and they will eat right out of your hand.

Great hike, easy. Tried to do the waterfall loop but too icy and snowy, will come to do that portion during the summer. Great views

Nice summer hike. Definitely take the right side path when you reach the bridge over the creek (marked as DO NOT ENTER - AVALANCHE AREA). You will encounter two sets of waterfalls. Gorgeous.

Is it me, or has the trail been redone? I remember a steeper but shorter ascent for the first third of the trail. Now it seems the trail is longer with more switchbacks, but definitely more gradual.

Much nicer than Chester in my opinion. Probably owing to the fact that there are fewer people on the trail.

Along the way, look for:
Huckleberry
Blueberry
Gooseberry
Strawberry

Lots of spruce grouse on the trail and pikas in the scree on the lakeside.

This is a great hike with a beautiful lake at the end, but we didn't know the trail would split! We ended up on the mountain bike trail that didn't lead to the lake and had to turn around. So when you get to the fork, go left! This is before the bridge.

Great day in July 2017. Mostly walking through the forest and when the trees open up you are rewarded with beautiful views. The majority of the route is covered in tree roots. At the first unmarked fork in the road go left to stay on the Rummel lake trail. Turning right is a bike path.

At the bridge we did go right and walked up beside the waterfall. There is a ledge to cross and we even crossed a snow patch. It's a great walk and just when you start to wonder if you're going the wrong way, the path curves and pops you out at the lake. Easy to cross the shallow creek on the rocks and log. We took the main path back to the bridge on the way down.

Beautiful views. Gorgeous mountain lake with many colours depending on the sun. You can walk around the entire lake and there are stunning views everywhere.

We spent some time fly fishing but didn't catch anything as it was the hottest part of the day. Fish were rising but not jumping.

The entire day we saw about 20 people at various times. Young children (10ish) and a few dogs too.

Yes I would do this again.

Great snowshoeing to the lake, easy for beginners.

Great trail! I would definitely recommend going to the right just before the Bridge so you can see the waterfalls. The trail is a bit harder to follow but totally worth it!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

January 21, 2017

Monday, March 06, 2017

Saturday, November 05, 2016

great lake scenery at the end. 3+ hours total with break for lunch. Currently snow packed trail, snow shoes needed if you want to go further than the lake.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

June 23/16 - Great hike. We hiked on a rainy day so there were no other people on the trail. Still beautiful at the lake and a great spot to stop for lunch.

Friday, July 29, 2016

I love Kananaskis but this wasn't one of my favourite hikes. Much quieter than Chester Lake - which was nice, and it was a bit more difficult. All of the elevation is in the first couple of kilometres. Skinny trail, mainly through the trees, but pretty once you get to the falls and when it opens up at the Lake. Took us 3 hours return - moderate pace.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

I absolutely love doing this hike. I took my time on this hike and it took me about 2.5 hours round trip. The lake at the end is a must see. My only tip for this hike is that when you get to the bridge DO NOT take it. Instead stay right on the trail and continue straight. It's about 10min longer then the bridge trail but you will have an amazing hike up the side of a small waterfall.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

This hike is great. Highly recommend it. You get a bit of everything. Mountain peaks, dense lush Forrest trails, waterfalls, meadows and an emerald coloured lake at the end. Various types of terrain from rooty bush ground to a small rock trail on the side of a hill by a waterfall. You park on the Smith Dorrian at Mt Shark road, on the shoulder, and the trailhead is directly across from the Mt Shark Road turnoff. You have to do some mild bush whacking as the trail is wiped out in certain parts. No problem though. In the summer when you reach the bridge do not take it - stay on the right side of the creek and keep going straight you will find the path again. The bridge is the winter trail and you miss a stunning multi level waterfall.
It's a 10km round trip hike. Took us 4 hours including an hour at the lake to eat and rest. We walked around the entire lake. The rock slide side is a mild nuisance. Bring bug spray.
We came back down the winter trail which you can clearly see from the lake on the left hand side. It's a big short cut. Saved 20 mins or more.
This hike has turned in to a favorite. Do it.
You won't be disappointed. Rated moderate - nothing too challenging. Nothing too steep. Check out my summer pics posted above and also on Hike Alberta on Facebook

Saturday, May 28, 2016

It was a good hike. It was still snowy when we were there. The lake was still frozen.

recorded rummel